Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all the leafy parts of adelaide are wealthy suburbs, which is kind of ironic. If my theory is correct, trees are preventing other environmental gains
Off topic, however this why power purchase agreements should be enabled for solar farms. Stick a solar farm out where there are no trees and allow an agreement where a home owner (or even in an apartment or renters) can act like that solar is on their roof.

I would suggest the low takeup of solar in more affluent suburbs would be down to aesthetics and perceptions.
Aesthetics: ruins the look of their designer roof/house.
Perceptions: advertises a need to save money on their electricity bill, which is not in keeping with their station.

Spot on, that's why the Tesla solar tiles will have a customer base.

I have two powerwalls that i mostly cycle every day. Lets say its 30Kwh. If i just sold the power back. i would receive $0.12 * 30 that day so $3.60)
If I buy that power, its at $0.32. So, if I cycle the batteries in full, that's $9.60. So, Potentially I can save $6.00 per day.

The units cost be about $23000 installed, so that's 3833 days to break even or just over 10 years.

The batteries are really not a financial thing. I do enjoy however being self reliant on power and with the 20kw solar, i have gone from power costing about $1500+ per quarter, to about $200 per quarter.

For those interested however, you can't really go off grid with these. For example, say you are using 10A per phase, The powerwall will supply 10A for a phase, 20A back to the grid on that phase, and you will still be using 10A on the other phases. So while technically you are zero, without the grid and other users, it would not work. You would need 3 powerwalls and the assosciated switching equipment to be able to be off grid. If they were to ever get flat, they would be unable to use your solar to re-start too as they need mains to start it all off.

I have two powerwalls that i mostly cycle every day. Lets say its 30Kwh. If i just sold the power back. i would receive $0.12 * 30 that day so $3.60)
If I buy that power, its at $0.32. So, if I cycle the batteries in full, that's $9.60. So, Potentially I can save $6.00 per day.

The units cost be about $23000 installed, so that's 3833 days to break even or just over 10 years.

The batteries are really not a financial thing. I do enjoy however being self reliant on power and with the 20kw solar, i have gone from power costing about $1500+ per quarter, to about $200 per quarter.

For those interested however, you can't really go off grid with these. For example, say you are using 10A per phase, The powerwall will supply 10A for a phase, 20A back to the grid on that phase, and you will still be using 10A on the other phases. So while technically you are zero, without the grid and other users, it would not work. You would need 3 powerwalls and the assosciated switching equipment to be able to be off grid. If they were to ever get flat, they would be unable to use your solar to re-start too as they need mains to start it all off.
Based on my numbers my 30kw solar will not fill 3 power walls (plus 2 cars) for 3 months in winter, I will average around 2.5. I also understand powerwall wont run 3 phase equipment. Yesterday I exported 20kw.

How do we know this? I mean, I assume it's based on correlating VIN registration dates with vehicle production dates. But do we know that Tesla definitely always registers VIN numbers on or before the actual date of production and never afterwards?

There is a lot of evidence around this.
Uk data points have been this and the Nz credit note shows the car was built 9 July from 7 July vin reg.

There is 1 caveat. In about 2 months, it will be harder to predict. There was 25000 ish registered at once for lhd and a few thousand RHD. That’s a few weeks production.

• Informative
Reactions: aroth
There is a lot of evidence around this.
Uk data points have been this and the Nz credit note shows the car was built 9 July from 7 July vin reg.

There is 1 caveat. In about 2 months, it will be harder to predict. There was 25000 ish registered at once for lhd and a few thousand RHD. That’s a few weeks production.
Also, tesla could produce them out of order, just to f*&&& with us!

They do play games with VINs and production in an attempt to limit analysis of VINs, e.g. the bloomberg tracker.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
Also, tesla could produce them out of order, just to f*&&& with us!

They do play games with VINs and production in an attempt to limit analysis of VINs, e.g. the bloomberg tracker.

It’s possible, but it seemed to track more or less in line with trend of the tracker. But individual data points is less certain for sure. It is the only indicator we have. Once we see some more build dates on invoices it should help build confidence in the data.

Definitely getting solar and a powerwall.
Running my Tesla off of sun power would feel great.
Even if solar only cuts the electric bills in half that would be great.
Having the powerwall for back up power if there is a utility outage is an added benefit.
Overall with the price of solar and powerwalls dropping it seems like the way to go to reduce electricity costs.

• Love
Reactions: 1st in Line
Too many people over look the many things you can do to reduce your electricity costs and just pay the high bills.
Any new build or remodel should consider the following.
Air sealing, super insulation, triple pane windows, high efficiency heat / Air Conditioning, set back thermostats, LED lights, Solar panels, battery storage and an electric vehicle charger. These all can make a difference depending on the specifics of the building.
Adding a Tesla is just icing on the cake. The Climate Crisis is making it hotter. We all need to do what we can to make an impact.

Last edited:
Because the behind the scenes VIN I have allocated wont be here until sept 16th at the earliest and its apparently 2 weeks extra minimum to get a car to the south island/chc.
The VIN in your account could very well mean absolutely nothing. I have been told "couple of weeks" last week from someone at Tesla and I dont even have a VIN in my account... I think everyone is thinking way to much into these hidden VINs.

Reactions: T3SLA3 and paulp
I have two powerwalls that i mostly cycle every day... The units cost be about $23000 installed, so that's 3833 days to break even or just over 10 years... The batteries are really not a financial thing.
I think that’s more to do with having two PW rather than one. The economics for the first battery can be marginal to OK depending on usage & consumption patterns. But the economics for a second battery will always be worse than for the first, and usually not just by a little bit but by a lot. It’s all to do with marginal statistics.

In my case, the first PW should reduce grid consumption from about 50% (solar alone) to 90%. A second PW obviously can’t reduce that any more than 10% (and realistically, maybe only half that), but you pay the same for it as you did the first PW. It is also less likely the second PW will get full, so the utilisation is nowhere near as high.

I do enjoy however being self reliant on power
Amen to that. I found it quite liberating, as well as making me much more conscious about my own energy usage habits. People’s behavior changes when they have “skin in the game”

For those interested however, you can't really go off grid with these.
Yep - the marginal statistics for a single household make it close to impossible. You’d need an insane sized solar array occupying the size of 10 houses and an insane number of powerwalls to do it, just for the 0.01% case.

However the statistics become much more sane at a community level. Central limit theorem is one’s friend here.

And just to keep this on topic... Model 3 :)

Did anyone else order an M3 in white with FSD for $7,100AUD _before_ the colour became free? I did and when they updated my order they removed the cost of the white paint but the FSD bumped up to the current price of $8,500. I have been trying to have it fixed in my Order Agreement form but no luck yet.
Yes I had this happen to mine (in NZD for me). It was an overall price drop so I figured this was acceptable? What is your concern here?

Well my account has recently changed. Looks like Pepper Money have communicated with Tesla. Still no VIN.

I get the following:

Next Steps

We will shortly upload a copy of your final invoice to your Tesla account. Following this, a delivery representative will contact you to arrange final payment. Please note, we require cleared funds prior to delivery...

Reactions: youmi
Yes I had this happen to mine (in NZD for me). It was an overall price drop so I figured this was acceptable? What is your concern here?
Wants cake and eating cake.

I think what Tesla has done is very fair. Price configured back then was x now it's dropped to y. So they gave the lower of the two total prices. As there was never an opportunity to get both lower prices why should they cut themselves short.

Well my account has recently changed. Looks like Pepper Money have communicated with Tesla. Still no VIN.

I get the following:

Next Steps

We will shortly upload a copy of your final invoice to your Tesla account. Following this, a delivery representative will contact you to arrange final payment. Please note, we require cleared funds prior to delivery...

Mine also changed this morning.

I can find my VIN by searching "5YJ" which found something like `"vin":"5YJXXXXXXXXXX"`.