Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to say I've finally joined the club... ordered an AWD today after sitting in a SR+ (a big shoutout to Helen :) who kindly put up with my annoying questions).
Now, I'm 1.83 m tall with extra long legs and I put the seat back all the way and it was still a little cramped. I'm expecting if I raise the steering wheel I'll fit better. But I'd appreciate hearing from other taller drivers as I'd hate to think I'd be uncomfortable in this vehicle.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Just a few random observations:

First, I saw a white Model 3 parked in our street yesterday. Naturally, I got out of the car to say hello and I said "We got the same car!" to the surprised occupant. When he realised what the weird stranger was telling him, he said the the car actually belonged to his daughter and that they were from Lidcombe rather than living in our street...

Anyway, some further unexpected things for me about the Model 3:

1.) I was a bit concerned about the larger turning circle of the Model 3 (11.8m) vs my old Toyota Corolla Seca (9.8m). However, now that I have the Model 3, I find that the superior steering, easier gear shifting and - last but not least - the rear-view camera and other sensors makes this a non-issue. Maybe I am not able to do U-turns on some roads where the Toyota could have done so, but this is more than made up by the generally improved ease of manoeuvrability.

2.) I was so disappointed that the Model 3 did not come with air suspension like the Model S, especially after reading some comments about the Model 3 suspension bing a bit "tight". Now that I have the car, it is so much smoother than what I was used to. Again, really not an issue now that I am driving the Model 3.

I was a bit concerned about the larger turning circle of the Model 3 (11.8m)

I'm a bit baffled as to why the turning radius is so wide on this car. My previous car was longer than the 3 but managed a tighter turning circle. Doesn't cause any real issues (though there are a couple of really small roundabouts locally where pulling a successful U-turn requires an extra cautious approach in the 3, and my first few attempts at parking were rather...subpar), but just seems strange how the car excels at pretty much everything except turning in a circle.

I'm a bit baffled as to why the turning radius is so wide on this car. My previous car was longer than the 3 but managed a tighter turning circle. Doesn't cause any real issues (though there are a couple of really small roundabouts locally where pulling a successful U-turn requires an extra cautious approach in the 3, and my first few attempts at parking were rather...subpar), but just seems strange how the car excels at pretty much everything except turning in a circle.
I've seen YouTube videos where the turning circle appear to be very good. Do the steering settings affect the turning radius?

I'm happy to say I've finally joined the club... ordered an AWD today after sitting in a SR+ (a big shoutout to Helen :) who kindly put up with my annoying questions).
Now, I'm 1.83 m tall with extra long legs and I put the seat back all the way and it was still a little cramped. I'm expecting if I raise the steering wheel I'll fit better. But I'd appreciate hearing from other taller drivers as I'd hate to think I'd be uncomfortable in this vehicle.

I am 1.98-ish and I didn't feel as though it was cramped when driving. There's very little room for the person behind, however ...

Has anyone managed to get a Model 3 key fob from the US Tesla store working on an AU Model 3?

I picked up my car yesterday and was able to pair the Fob with the car but it only seems to work like the key cards. The RF functionality might be disabled in AU

The car is awesome BTW :cool:
yes I managed to get one off ebay (at a hefty price). Works exactly as intended and operates doors trunk and frunk by clicking in the appropriate points on the fob (P3D+). I was worried there might be frequency issues but all seems fine unless V10 update has caused any problems.

yes I managed to get one off ebay (at a hefty price). Works exactly as intended and operates doors trunk and frunk by clicking in the appropriate points on the fob (P3D+). I was worried there might be frequency issues but all seems fine unless V10 update has caused any problems.
From what I can recall there is no 'seamless entry' like where you go up to your car and it unlocks with the regular keyfob, it happens on the S and X but not the 3. A bit surprising considering my $40,000 Subaru has this feature and actually came with the keyfob included, oh well.

Although Tesla recently released another version of the keyfob that comes with that entry the old ones do not have that feature. So either you have to wait until you get the newer keyfob which will allow for that seamless entry or just use your phone like the rest of the planet /s

I guess whatever can save costs but whats $150 USD to a car going to cause.

Quick question.. I charged to 100% last night to see what I could get the actual range number to (knew it wasn't going to be close to 560km NEDC).. Managed 500km exactly. What have others been able to get? (I have the M3P- )
The full detail is available here - Full charged: Model 3 Performance reads 500km at 100%, not even damn close to NEDC rating - techAU
P3D+ charges to 499km at 100% charge. Real range is less than that depending on speed and driving habits. A 415 km trip between Perth and Albany (lots of overtaking fun as its single carriageway with passing lanes) resulted in around 350km real world range. Charging stop at fast charger at half way point pumped in 180km of charge and arrived in Albany with 120km range displayed.

From what I can recall there is no 'seamless entry' like where you go up to your car and it unlocks with the regular keyfob, it happens on the S and X but not the 3. A bit surprising considering my $40,000 Subaru has this feature and actually came with the keyfob included, oh well.

Although Tesla recently released another version of the keyfob that comes with that entry the old ones do not have that feature. So either you have to wait until you get the newer keyfob which will allow for that seamless entry or just use your phone like the rest of the planet /s

I guess whatever can save costs but whats $150 USD to a car going to cause.
Even though I have the key fob and set it up, the phone (Apple Xr) works just fine although I do carry the credit thing just in case. I could use the fob instead I suppose. in my view its not really worth the money to get a key fob

Even though I have the key fob and set it up, the phone (Apple Xr) works just fine although I do carry the credit thing just in case. I could use the fob instead I suppose. in my view its not really worth the money to get a key fob
Always keep a backup, its always needed especially with tech.
That drive must have been fun with the acceleration!

Also quick thing for owners in Victoria.
Has anyone seen inaccurate speed limits?
I'm wondering if Tesla is using the publicly available Speed Limit data-set in Victoria instead of using the OSM data compared to a state/territory which does not have speed limit data-sets.
Speed Zone Data - Victorian Government Data Directory
Speed Sign Data - Victorian Government Data Directory

It may even be possible that Tesla is using the API provided from VicRoads for updated speed sign information on freeways, as they change.. alot.
Multiple Variable Electronic Speed Signs Live - Victorian Government Data Directory

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I wrote this on the Facebook page:

So back from Tesla service centre. Very smooth service.

1- super stiff brake pedal, had to press really hard to stop the car.

Action: replaced brake fluid and a valve.

Result: brake as expected. No longer hard or stiff. Very progressive braking.

2- steering wheel not detecting that I'm holding it when using auto steering.

Action: there are no sensor in the steering wheel to detect a touch. You must make a small jiggle movement on a regular basis.

Result: I had always been led to believe that having your hand resting on the steering wheel was sufficient. It's not.

3- rattle when driving.

Action: figured that one before getting there. It's the seat belt hitting the door.

4- various paint defects on delivery.

Action: after PPF and ceramic coating are applied, if any defects are still visible; Tesla will pay for any required respray.

Rear bumper to be resprayed.
point 2: try your knees. That works pretty well lol

Always keep a backup, its always needed especially with tech.
That drive must have been fun with the acceleration!

Also quick thing for owners in Victoria.
Has anyone seen inaccurate speed limits?
TESLA uses Google maps which have inaccuracies. You can report by tapping the microphone icon and saying "bug report speed limit" It will acknowledge with "thanks for feedback" displayed.
I'm wondering if Tesla is using the publicly available Speed Limit data-set in Victoria instead of using the OSM data compared to a state/territory which does not have speed limit data-sets.
Speed Zone Data - Victorian Government Data Directory
Speed Sign Data - Victorian Government Data Directory

It may even be possible that Tesla is using the API provided from VicRoads for updated speed sign information on freeways, as they change.. alot.
Multiple Variable Electronic Speed Signs Live - Victorian Government Data Directory

I got the V10 same time as you, but for some reason my nav data was not updated. I have done soft restart twice and one hard restart since, but still it has not got the nav data update. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that to download the new nav data?
Now the autopilot for me appears to slow down and speed up according to speed limits just fine as long as the auto steering is on.
View attachment 462794
Also noticed that the speed limit the maps suggest appear to be often off here on Gold Coast. So often I have to disable the autopilot as it thinks speed in the area slows down to 50km/h, where all signs are showing increase to 70km/h and the M1 speed limits have been 60 and 80 near Robina for almost 2 years now, but the car thinks it is all 100 limit.
Would there be a recommended way to send them a notification of an error found on the map data?
TESLA uses Google maps which have inaccuracies. You can report by tapping the microphone icon and saying "bug report speed limit" It will acknowledge with "thanks for feedback" displayed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Priit
I sure hope your delivery actually happens in 7 days. Twice now my delivery has not happened with zero communication given from Tesla. It is only after 4 hours of calling them (4 days of 1 hour plus numerous emails) that I actually got hold of someone. A person only has so much patience and inner calmness. Tesla had to have known at least 12 hours previous to both deliveries that the car was not on the truck (delivery to Inverell NW NSW). For once in my life I am complaining because Teslas delivery service has been nothing short of terrible for me. This is having a serious impact on my business. It is not so much the cost of payments, insurance, registration etc that I am not making use of, it is the lack of a vehicle for me to use to conduct my business and therefore generate income. Income equals feeding my children and paying my mortgage. I wouldn't (and couldn't) treat my customers with such a lack of communication. I understand that *sugar* happens and logistics are hell. BUT LET PEOPLE KNOW. Twice now I have spent half a day waiting for a delivery to happen that hasn't.
If I have the experience you are having, I think I may change my mind. I can definitely understand where you are coming from!

Don't try the model X then, worse turning circle of any car I've ever driven.

The M3 appears pretty good to me, never had an issue doing a U-turn so far.

Reactions: TaylorP
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know who the makers of the 3D Maxpider floor mats are? I have tried googling for them but I only ever see companies selling them.
I want to contact them to plead with them to make some RHD versions of them. I figure if enough of us do it they will cave and make them
I think you're wasting your time.

3 Facebook group users Inc myself have done that in the past 6 weeks with no reply whatsoever.

Shame as they look great.

87982DD5-F05D-4EED-9743-A5302FA1249B.jpeg Soo... good news, bad news kinda day. P3D- delivered on Saturday in ACT (nice surprised after two missed delivery appointments previously.

6KM on the ODO (literally as soon as I sat in it) and this fault. Autonexus ‘prep sheet’ listed ‘Charging’ as something they did but I suspect not as it only arrived with 43% charge.

Called roadside assistance, a couple of reboots but no dice. It seems to be related to the sensing on the charge cable interlock actuator. Tried my mobile charger and Supercharger but the same effect.

The attitude of roadside was that I’m SOL and it’ll need be trucked back to Sydney if there is no local ranger. Is there a local ranger?

Also, it won’t appear on my app. The roadside assistance said it will, it just takes a couple of days but really, I’m sure it depends on someone marking it as ‘delivered’ and it would work but roadside assistance said this is not something they can help with.

That said, after 2 minutes of perfectly silent driving and having only used about 20% throttle, I decided that even if it is broken, and even if it only works for one glorious day a year - it’s still worth it! Isn’t that sick?!

It’s going to be hard to explain to my two young boys that we won’t be able to play with the car for a while yet...

If I have the experience you are having, I think I may change my mind. I can definitely understand where you are coming from!
Well, having owned two Ss, and enjoyed every minute, I must admit, ordering and receiving the 3 has been an ugly waiting game

It started with a desire for a white interior (blue body). We wrote note after note, call after call, and after waiting THREE years, six weeks later they caved and allowed the order in late July

got the mystery vin and waited. Finally got the call, it is here, Oooppppsss no it’s not! Next week, for sure. Hey do you want it early, absolutely! Sorry wrong car

how about this coming Monday. Dam, the queen got in the way. For sure this Tuesday. Ooopppsss, they need time to clean it up. Guaranteed. Well maybe Wednesday. That blue and white thing is somewhere on the lot, we think!

love that car, some new management in Oz might be useful

Can you imagine my thoughts: I have a fully paid for founders series 2020 roaster on order, should I keep it? Ooopppsss. 2021 roadster