Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The whole week"? 36.2.2 just dropped yesterday. Presumably you're on 36.1 then.

In which case I'd keep it that way if I were you.

This is the view from 36.2. I'd say that's a whole lot more than 12.5m, but not sure exactly how far. The circle is how far the car can go.

upload_2019-11-15_23-18-37.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
.... I watched enough videos of smart summon on YouTube where the car literally almost drove into things including kerbs, walls and poles because there was a shadow or something that confused it....

I dont mind running alpha or beta items for Tesla if my hands & feet are ready to take back control at a moments notice, so I'm not going to touch Smart Summon with a barge pole until i hear (and see) its mature and not going to damage my car, damage someone else, or make the headlines on some TV Current Affairs show.
Happy to wait for a matured, somewhat gimmicky, feature.

Actually surprised Tesla are releasing it, the media (and authority) backlash could be extreme if someone gets hurts ...

I assume if I am using summon and the car hits someone or another car/object I am responsible? I can see that the feature can be useful sometimes, but only if it is fail safe. I don't want to summon the car only for it to run over a child in a carpark.
Yes, you would be responsible which is why you want to be able to see what the car is doing. It does detect people and will give a message "Waiting on pedestrian." However, I wouldn't rely on that feature.

Yes, you would be responsible which is why you want to be able to see what the car is doing. It does detect people and will give a message "Waiting on pedestrian." However, I wouldn't rely on that feature.

Totally agree, the negative media attention from a driverless Tesla hitting another car or worse still a pedestrian while an owner is testing it in a public car park would be highly damaging to the cause. Autonomous vehicles will reduce vehicle crashes and human death and injury massively over the long term. Over the short term it needs to be treated with the highest respect and a caution first approach.

I dont mind running alpha or beta items for Tesla if my hands & feet are ready to take back control at a moments notice, so I'm not going to touch Smart Summon with a barge pole until i hear (and see) its mature and not going to damage my car, damage someone else, or make the headlines on some TV Current Affairs show.
Happy to wait for a matured, somewhat gimmicky, feature.

Actually surprised Tesla are releasing it, the media (and authority) backlash could be extreme if someone gets hurts ...
You have full control of smart summon as you control the car with your iPhone and under beta testing the more you use it the better it will get. Why did you purchase a Tesla as you understood Tesla is out there. To me the whole idea of buying my Model 3 is to bring back the pleasure of driving and being on my toes when using FSD.
If you collect a pedestrian its your fault as you weren't paying attention and as I said its in beta testing.

You have full control of smart summon as you control the car with your iPhone and under beta testing the more you use it the better it will get. Why did you purchase a Tesla as you understood Tesla is out there. To me the whole idea of buying my Model 3 is to bring back the pleasure of driving and being on my toes when using FSD.
If you collect a pedestrian its your fault as you weren't paying attention and as I said its in beta testing.

Unfortunately there are an ever increasing percentage of Tesla owners with very little idea on the cars operation or Tesla's long term vision, in fact they don't care one bit about Tesla's vision, they just want a car that's so much better than their friends/neighbours/work colleagues, we are now seeing owners that wrongly believe the car will perform perfectly on day one in every aspect, lack of research and understanding is a recipe for disaster, many of these same people are quick to lay the blame at Tesla's feet when it doesn't work as expected, who's fault it is becomes secondary when an innocent party gets property damage or injury.

... in fact they don't care one bit about Tesla's vision, they just want a car that's so much better than their friends/neighbours/work colleagues, we are now seeing owners that wrongly believe the car will perform perfectly on day one in every aspect, lack of research and understanding is a recipe for disaster, many of these same people are quick to lay the blame at Tesla's feet when it doesn't work as expected ...
Exactly. I never drove a Tesla before I purchased the M3, but had watched 100's of videos, good & bad, prior to stepping up. Eyes-wide-open.
And I've never purchase a vehicle because it was trendy. I purchase because they were awesome engineering mixed with performance i.e. still have my black Octavia vRS ... another production Q-Car / wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.

...To me the whole idea of buying my Model 3 is to bring back the pleasure of driving and being on my toes when using FSD. ....
HUGE difference between FSD & SS.
1 you have a 360deg view & instant vector control.
The other is like a "disconnected" drive of an RC Car.

Love FSD, I "test" its capabilities every day. :D

Reactions: Hairyman
we are now seeing owners that wrongly believe the car will perform perfectly on day one in every aspect, lack of research and understanding is a recipe for disaster, many of these same people are quick to lay the blame at Tesla's feet when it doesn't work as expected,
Are you saying because it is Tesla, the buyers should be more forgiving when the car doesn’t function as claimed?

Reactions: TASKA9
A quick question for M3 SR+ owners in Sydney.
Please let me know if your car recognises School Zones in Sydney. I have my speed warning to display and relative with no offset and have tested two distinct school zones in Sydney that every other GPS detects, but my M3 does not recognises them and the school speed limits are not shown even during school hours. I have tested during school hours with normal driving, auto pilot and navigation to a destination but none worked so far. I have the latest software.
Any hints?

A quick question for M3 SR+ owners in Sydney.
Please let me know if your car recognises School Zones in Sydney. I have my speed warning to display and relative with no offset and have tested two distinct school zones in Sydney that every other GPS detects, but my M3 does not recognises them and the school speed limits are not shown even during school hours. I have tested during school hours with normal driving, auto pilot and navigation to a destination but none worked so far. I have the latest software.
Any hints?
Mine does pick up the local school speed zones. I think it is because the cars use open street map for the speed zones. You can join the website and start editing. See what happens.

openstreetmap.org

Regarding the home charger I'm going to call around to see if I can find an electrician who will install a split system as well as the wall charger & possibly do some other electrical work as well.

Anyone here in Brisbane killed a few birds with one stone on their installation? If anyone has a recommendation for a good electrician let me know please.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Are you saying because it is Tesla, the buyers should be more forgiving when the car doesn’t function as claimed?

No, I'm suggesting that some folks are buying a Tesla without enough research, I'm seeing a lot of posts on various forums where new owners are making errors of judgement and deflecting all blame on Tesla.
* The owner that can't get his car to charge, the battery is at 60% but the maximum % is set to 50%.
*The owner that runs out of charge after a 580km drive on a wet road, it's not his fault, the cars range is rated at 620kms.
*The owner that can't get 120kw from a supercharger when he's already at 70% before plugging in.
So it won't be long before one of these cleans up a bollard or another vehicle in a car park, clearly it's their fault for being so confident in their ability to operate a function in its infancy but the owner supported by the media will lay all blame on Tesla.
As @Gnat666 states, "Eyes wide open"

Mine does pick up the local school speed zones. I think it is because the cars use open street map for the speed zones. You can join the website and start editing. See what happens.

openstreetmap.org

Thank you very much Hairyman for the information and suggestion. Thank you kieranu as well for confirming the edits are picked up by M3.

I have now updated the maps (but marked I would like the changes to be reviewed by someone) and will see what happens on Monday.

First date of production when the hardware was in the car September 1st. If your car is already on a ship, your car probably won't have the hardware. :)

Quoting Electrek, quoting an internal Tesla email:

“Starting September 1, 2019, all Model 3 cars built for the US market now come with a Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) to meet US requirements.”

Just had a look at my P- (Built: 13Aug, Vin: 5170xx) and it has a pedestrian speaker fitted. Of course it is not enabled, but I expect it will be at some point.

Images attached. You can see the speaker through the grill. The picture of the inside is not great, but you can see the speaker.

Pedestrian_speaker_external.jpg

Pedestrian_speaker_internal.jpg

I can see from various forums that some cars in the US do not have the speaker grill and others have the grill but no hardware installed.

I'd be interested to know if all Australian cars have the grill/hardware.

Reactions: Gnat666
... I wonder if the software will detect a speak thats "accidently" disconnected? :p
It doesn’t. You can already buy defeat plugs for this system from third parties. But I really don’t understand the totally out of proportion vitriol I’ve read sprayed at something designed to reduced the risk of pedestrians not hearing your car and hence potentially being injured. As well as the ridiculous and paranoid assertions it’s part of some conspiracy to make EVs less desirable. Seriously? Do people really believe this stuff?

The Nissan Leaf has a pedestrian forward alert noise at low speed and it’s a complete non-issue. You can barely hear it inside the cabin. Anyone who has taken offence at this should save up their anger for more important stuff, like the government not taking climate change seriously enough.