Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have recommendations for window tinting in Melbourne? A few hundred posts back someone suggested Dr. Tint, but I don't know whether any other shop has been mentioned, and it's hard to go through so many posts.

Any suggestions from current owners to new owners like myself will be greatly appreciated! :)
I'll be taking mine to Trent at Talktint.
TalkTint (@talktint) • Instagram photos and videos

I curious as to what people are getting tinted. Top/sides/rear? and how dark?

I've hard dark tinting on side and rear windows in the past and, whilst it's great during the day, it does make seeing out of the car much worse at night.

I'm more interested in heat blocking that light. I've read that the top glass is supposed to block most UV but what about IR? Which contributes most to heat?

I've also seen a couple of posts elsewhere suggesting that the tint on the top glass might make it more likely to break from increased tension after the tint dries. Seems silly to me but I have no expertise in this so...

Appreciate any experience/wisdom you can throw my way.

I got mine done by Tint on the Move - did an amazing job
car-tinting-a-tesla-side.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Without a doubt Rob from Ringwood is the best in Melbourne:

Car Tint PTY Ltd.
0417 755 537

I cannot recommend him more, you can watch your car being tinted, he’s an absolute gentleman and without a doubt the finish is dead on perfect.

I’m an OCD nut, even pisses me off (don’t get my started on how the wife feels about it) and I have zero complaints with Robs work.

I live in Malvern East and the trip to Ringwood was well worth while trip.
Did Rob tint the rear glass as well?

Service Centre confirmed the front windscreen passenger side sealant (or lack thereof) is the cause of the wind noise. They've ordered a new windscreen and will inform me when it arrives. I hope the new windscreen with proper sealant fixes the wind noise---I'll post an update when that's done.

I finally got my front windscreen replaced yesterday. I can happily confirm that the passenger side wind noise is gone, and the only wind noise (if you can hear it) is exterior to the car.

What was disconcerting after the windscreen replacement was the front cameras had stopped working when I picked up the car at 4pm. It didn't occurred to me at the time; I started realising something was wrong when there was no speed limit on the screen. Peak hour traffic was at a crawl and I was some ways from the SC by then. I then noticed that there were no graphics of nearby vehicles and no road markings---it was just the M3 on a blank white background. Navigation was working, but when I tried TACC or AP they wouldn't engage.

Here's a shot I took of the screen then.
IMG_20191205_171114 (2).jpg

I stopped on a side street and did a soft reboot. No joy. When I got home, I did a hard reboot ... same thing. The obvious components replacing the windscreen would impact are the rear view mirror and front facing cameras. I plugged the dashcam USB drive into my PC and sure enough, all front facing videos recorded in the last hour were blank :(.

After dinner and when my blood pressure had lowered sufficiently, I asked my better half to go on a drive to demonstrate the non-existent wind noise. When I got into the car, the first thing I saw on the screen was the speed limit---I couldn't believe it! I drove around for a bit and the front cameras must be working again. Everything was back to normal, vehicle graphics, road markings, and TACC/AP worked. I reviewed the new videos thereafter and the front videos had content as per normal. And wife was happy that the wind noise was gone.

I'm at a loss to explain what had happened. SC didn't mention anything at the pickup. I drove to work this morning and everything was working normally.

I'm going to email the Melb SC and ask if they would run a diagnostic on the car to verify that everything is working normally. Those of you that are getting your front windscreens replaced, do check that the speed limit/vehicle graphics/road markings are visible and TACC/AP works before you drive too far away from the SC.

I finally got my front windscreen replaced yesterday. I can happily confirm that the passenger side wind noise is gone, and the only wind noise (if you can hear it) is exterior to the car.

What was disconcerting after the windscreen replacement was the front cameras had stopped working when I picked up the car at 4pm. It didn't occurred to me at the time; I started realising something was wrong when there was no speed limit on the screen. Peak hour traffic was at a crawl and I was some ways from the SC by then. I then noticed that there were no graphics of nearby vehicles and no road markings---it was just the M3 on a blank white background. Navigation was working, but when I tried TACC or AP they wouldn't engage.

Here's a shot I took of the screen then.
View attachment 485143

I stopped on a side street and did a soft reboot. No joy. When I got home, I did a hard reboot ... same thing. The obvious components replacing the windscreen would impact are the rear view mirror and front facing cameras. I plugged the dashcam USB drive into my PC and sure enough, all front facing videos recorded in the last hour were blank :(.

After dinner and when my blood pressure had lowered sufficiently, I asked my better half to go on a drive to demonstrate the non-existent wind noise. When I got into the car, the first thing I saw on the screen was the speed limit---I couldn't believe it! I drove around for a bit and the front cameras must be working again. Everything was back to normal, vehicle graphics, road markings, and TACC/AP worked. I reviewed the new videos thereafter and the front videos had content as per normal. And wife was happy that the wind noise was gone.

I'm at a loss to explain what had happened. SC didn't mention anything at the pickup. I drove to work this morning and everything was working normally.

I'm going to email the Melb SC and ask if they would run a diagnostic on the car to verify that everything is working normally. Those of you that are getting your front windscreens replaced, do check that the speed limit/vehicle graphics/road markings are visible and TACC/AP works before you drive too far away from the SC.
What you are describing is probably the loss of cruise control/autopilot bug. The solution is to remove the USB used for sentry/dash am from the car and then let the car sleep. I had this problem randomly a few days ago. You may well be right that chang8ng the screen upset the camera. It will be interesting to get a few more people’s experience together

• Informative
Reactions: Stratman and apchoo
Without a doubt Rob from Ringwood is the best in Melbourne:

Car Tint PTY Ltd.
0417 755 537

I cannot recommend him more, you can watch your car being tinted, he’s an absolute gentleman and without a doubt the finish is dead on perfect.

I’m an OCD nut, even pisses me off (don’t get my started on how the wife feels about it) and I have zero complaints with Robs work.

I live in Malvern East and the trip to Ringwood was well worth while trip.

Thank you both! I got a quote from TalkTint for $1,250. Does this sound reasonable? Will get a quote from Rob too.

Also, for those you who has done it, did you tint the sunroof and the rear window?

Reactions: Hungry Mile