Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RFID Transponders, eg tollroad etag
Is there any nice discrete place it can be put and still work?

I figure the manual is wrong cause it states to place it on the "right side of the rear view mirror as shown". I'm guessing for Australia it's the left.

Mine is on the left side. From the drivers position I can't see. Passengers can but it isn't obtrusive.

There are some here that will tell you that you can call your provider and ask them to do away with the physical tag and get the provider to tag off the photos of rego plate with no extra charges. The reason being that Tesla Model S's and X's had some sort of blocker in their windscreen that stopped the tag working. The Model 3 does not have this issue, but the provider seems to still accept that owning a Tesla is reason enough.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
There are some here that will tell you that you can call your provider and ask them to do away with the physical tag and get the provider to tag off the photos of rego plate with no extra charges. The reason being that Tesla Model S's and X's had some sort of blocker in their windscreen that stopped the tag working. The Model 3 does not have this issue, but the provider seems to still accept that owning a Tesla is reason enough.

I've done this and it works a treat. They don't even care what model it is. Just say metallic windscreen and the overseas customer service folks will comply with their protocol and then you're no longer charged the video matching fee.

The best part about all this is that sometimes the video matching doesn't work (Maybe like 5% of the time) and you don't get billed for the toll. I have to log all my mileage for work and the app I use auto-calculates the tolls so when I reconcile with my statements, I noticed that many months later (more than 60 days) I still wasn't billed for tolls that normally come through within a couple days.

Had a new OEM windscreen fitted yesterday (got a crack on a Sydney road trip) by Richmond SC and was super happy with the job. Looks perfect with no marks or scratches from the installer. Also got the home link module installed FOC (ordered car when Homelink was originally included on website) Picked up Tesla OEM puncture kit - which looks very well made.

Lucky you. I had my rear screen replaced by the Richmond SC, some of the side glass shows chipped marks. I was told it was within specs.

And the glue isn't uniformally applied all around it.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
7AAD1D99-CDE2-4326-8FB1-83F29E1E9C87.jpeg
OK... that’s the false negative case, what about the false positive? i.e. someone else’s plate is identified as yours and you get tolled? Has that happened?

Never had that happen. Here’s a little known fact though, even if you have a tag most tolling providers still use ANPR (automated number plate recognition). If you use linkt you can check this in your app it will show you the tag along with the number plate which was most recently scanned (saying last number plate detected). This begs the question why they are even charging for video matching, I suspect it’s because of false negatives and that sometimes human intervention is required.

Last edited:
I've done this and it works a treat. They don't even care what model it is. Just say metallic windscreen and the overseas customer service folks will comply with their protocol and then you're no longer charged the video matching fee.

The best part about all this is that sometimes the video matching doesn't work (Maybe like 5% of the time) and you don't get billed for the toll. I have to log all my mileage for work and the app I use auto-calculates the tolls so when I reconcile with my statements, I noticed that many months later (more than 60 days) I still wasn't billed for tolls that normally come through within a couple days.

@meowsers - what app do you use? Like it?

Spoke to Richmond service about roof racks yesterday. They have no information about timing / availability. Will call me when the racks are in (have put my name down for a set, no deposit required).
Interior mats are / will be ~$145, not incl. boot or front.
Picked up roof rack yesterday. Not mounted yet. Grabbed interior floor mats while there, as well as a tyre repair kit which I'm not sure even works with the acoustic-foam-tyres and I don't know how to use yet... Always had a spare tyre and jack in the past.

Picked up roof rack yesterday. Not mounted yet. Grabbed interior floor mats while there, as well as a tyre repair kit which I'm not sure even works with the acoustic-foam-tyres and I don't know how to use yet... Always had a spare tyre and jack in the past.
From what I have heard, the Tesla tyre repair kits will get you rolling again but will require the tyre to be replaced.
I have opted for a tyre plug repair kit and compressor instead. Again, might only be a temporary fix but should get to somewhere where the tyre can be properly fixed without it being ruined by gunk inside. Even though plenty of people use them as permanent fixes.

• Informative
Reactions: TASKA9
From what I have heard, the Tesla tyre repair kits will get you rolling again but will require the tyre to be replaced.
I have opted for a tyre plug repair kit and compressor instead. Again, might only be a temporary fix but should get to somewhere where the tyre can be properly fixed without it being ruined by gunk inside. Even though plenty of people use them as permanent fixes.
Won't help with large or sidewall intrusions.

True: but they are not very common these days for modern tires in good condition (from what I have read). And we have the roadside assist - assuming not going on long trips beyond metro.
Anecdotal evidence, but tyre retailer told me business is booming on repairs/replacement tyres with all the building works happening everywhere and adjacent roads not being swept up sufficiently.

Hmmm... I’ve heard different, that the goop in the Tesla kit is “TPMS” friendly and can be cleaned out afterwards to repair the tyre, while normal goop will get you going again but the inside of the tyre is ruined and yes has to be replaced. Mind you, I reckon in most cases if you need that stuff then the tyre will be beyond repair regardless, so it doesn’t matter. Whenever I’ve taken a tyre in to be fixed the only times it’s been repaired is when there are slow leaks. In all other cases, even in what seem to be fairly simple single point puncture incidents, they say “new tyre”.

Those kits look pretty cool, my only concern is whether it is always possible to get the tyre in a position to get sufficient access to the cause of the damage, remove it, and plug it. Wheel wells aren’t the most spacious of locations, not a lot of elbow room.

True: but they [sidewall intrusions] are not very common these days for modern tires in good condition (from what I have read).
In my LEAF we had two sidewall rips in a month once, and that was about 3 months after I did the same in our Camry. Tyres in good condition, done in by ragged kerbs and slightly rushed parking. It can happen pretty easily. After the second incident we took out Beaurepaires “road hazard warranty” for 10 bucks a tyre and it has really paid off, we’ve had 3 new tyres since for free.

So, this morning I noticed that my drivers window no longer continues to open or close when I stop pressing the window button ... however, the front passenger window now does! Anyone else seen this? M3 P- 2019.40.2.1

Yes my car did this upon delivery too with the front passenger window! I fixed it by rebooting the car. I thought I had a broken button at first.