Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this 32 amp power point in my garage. It came with the house, and I have never used it. Can I simply buy an adapter for the supplied Tesla model 3 mobile connector, and leave the home charger in the box? I have found an online 3rd party seller, I think. Did not see it offered as a Tesla accessory. Good or bad idea? User experiences welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

View attachment 490874
Put 3 phase plug and lead on your HPWC, then mount the HPWC on the wall.

I have this 32 amp power point in my garage. It came with the house, and I have never used it. Can I simply buy an adapter for the supplied Tesla model 3 mobile connector, and leave the home charger in the box? I have found an online 3rd party seller, I think. Did not see it offered as a Tesla accessory. Good or bad idea? User experiences welcomed.
As you will be drawing a constant high amps from the plug, I would recommend consulting with an electrician. Usually cheaper than dealing with issues after. For UMC the documentation recommends putting a 40A cabling and fuse to use it for 32A charging as with constant pull that high the cabling can start heating up so they recommend to leave 20-25% of the cable capacity for buffer. Depends also if the socket is wired for 3 phase or 1 phase, as with 3 phase your car will only be drawing max 16A per phase, then you can just attach a plug for UMC and plug it in there. With a single phase it can draw the whole 32A that is displayed on that image of yours. Not sure if I understand the markings correctly, but my mobile charger appears to be single phase up to 32A, where if you have 3 phase connection your car can take combined 48A and charge almost a third faster with the home charger.

Reactions: Electro664
Here's something I haven't had come across in these forums: does the M3 have two reversing lights, or only one on the passenger side?
Obviously I'm asking because on mine, there is no reversing light on the drivers side. I do know that some cars (eg Lexus CT200h) do have only one reversing light. Oh, I have checked the manual.

If it's faulty I need to get something else fixed! So, everyone, on a Model 3, two reversing lights, or just one on the passenger side?

Here's something I haven't had come across in these forums: does the M3 have two reversing lights, or only one on the passenger side?
Obviously I'm asking because on mine, there is no reversing light on the drivers side. I do know that some cars (eg Lexus CT200h) do have only one reversing light. Oh, I have checked the manual.

If it's faulty I need to get something else fixed! So, everyone, on a Model 3, two reversing lights, or just one on the passenger side?

take a look at this thread: Reversing and rear fog lights on the Model 3

:cool:

Reactions: bay74
Thanks in advance,
View attachment 490874

I had the same experience - our warehouse has a Clipsal 32A socket mounted on the wall next to our rear loading dock, probably installed by previous business nobody knew anything about it, and the business owner didn't want to call a sparky to check it out, so I bought one of these Gen2 Mobile Connector Adaptor (Model 3/Model S/X 'Raven') - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors with the 32A plug and tried it and it worked, the business owner's Model 3 was able to get 32A single phase.

Then he got excited and bought this Portable Charger 16A 3 Phase - Type 2 (replacement for Gen2 MC) - SPECIAL BUNDLE DEAL IN TIME FOR HOLIDAY PERIOD - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors with the 32A charging cable, 3phase Charging Cable (Model S/X) used with Gen1 UMC's and our Portable Chargers - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors
and his Model 3 gets (as he calls it) the full monty - 3phase 16A. He has a 220km round trip commute so he was excited.
So an easy option would be to buy or borrow the Gen2 short cable https://evchargers.com.au/product/varplug-to-mobile-connector-gen2/ and see what happens.

(I convinced the boss he should still get the wiring checked out).

@EvanJelist
Visit Gen2 mobile connector w 32A plug and scroll down to User Reviews, see Troy's feedback there is a pic of the adaptor being used in the field.
(photo credit: Troy L.)

We have just received a Gen1 UMC capable of 16Amp 3phase =11kW at TeslaWA Slack in Perth. This together with our redeuro adaptor and pigtails to plug into 20amp and 32amp 3phase, give the maximum an M3 can draw from AC (70kms per hour).
They are available to any members of TeslaWA Slack and TOCA in Perth for free loan if going outside the range of reliable DC chargers.

Attachments

• 20191218_165439.jpg
    20191218_165439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
We've had our Model 3 for a week now. I won't dwell on the minor issues around after sales & trim faults. They don't concern us at all. This is some car indeed- and we only have the base model! A favourite highlight so far has been kids invariably smiling & giving the thumbs up. They get the EV thing & Tesla is a huge part of that understanding. My nieces & nephews are almost as excited about the Model 3 as I am ;) Seriously though, it's made me realise how we can so easily overlook what kids want & are entitled to expect as their future. I've also loved having conversations with so many different people about Tesla & EVs in general, whether I'm at work, at a charging station, having ceramic coating. & tinting done, spending time with my extended family etc. I love the sound system, doing Caraoke to Africa with my daughter,, Spotify on demand, the navigation system etc etc And then there's the sheer unadulterated joy of driving this car. But of course, you all know about that! Most of all though, I love the way my thinking has changed so completely since we first contemplated getting an EV a few short months ago.

Hi @ Austi ... not sure if that is short for Austimer -- if it is - nice part of Wollongong.

Very nice Post - it does change your thinking getting an Ev for sure! I like the way you recognise kids are into Ev , and any clean tech.

Have many more conversations with people - show them they can embrace change -- you are doing well - and its only 1 week - happy holidays :D

Reactions: TaylorP
As you will be drawing a constant high amps from the plug, I would recommend consulting with an electrician. Usually cheaper than dealing with issues after. For UMC the documentation recommends putting a 40A cabling and fuse to use it for 32A charging as with constant pull that high the cabling can start heating up so they recommend to leave 20-25% of the cable capacity for buffer. Depends also if the socket is wired for 3 phase or 1 phase, as with 3 phase your car will only be drawing max 16A per phase, then you can just attach a plug for UMC and plug it in there. With a single phase it can draw the whole 32A that is displayed on that image of yours. Not sure if I understand the markings correctly, but my mobile charger appears to be single phase up to 32A, where if you have 3 phase connection your car can take combined 48A and charge almost a third faster with the home charger.

he can only draw max 50 percent load a 32a 3phase anyway with a model 3. and tbh even that is too fast really. its not like he has a 500km commute.

Spent some time Christmas Eve and today working on these...

Shiny Gold Frunk Hooks for my MY2020 M3. (Still find it hard to believe that Tesla removed them from the build spec)

IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG

Size and shape are pretty good. Printed in two parts that click together easily.
Piece of cake to fit with a 10mm socket on an extension - using the existing screw.
Although I'm not sure that the hinge points are strong enough. Will do some destructive testing over the next day or so and might have to modify the design depending on how much force is required to break them.

Spent some time Christmas Eve and today working on these...

Shiny Gold Frunk Hooks for my MY2020 M3. (Still find it hard to believe that Tesla removed them from the build spec)

View attachment 492883 View attachment 492885 View attachment 492884

Size and shape are pretty good. Printed in two parts that click together easily.
Piece of cake to fit with a 10mm socket on an extension - using the existing screw.
Although I'm not sure that the hinge points are strong enough. Will do some destructive testing over the next day or so and might have to modify the design depending on how much force is required to break them.
Where did you get them?

Where did you get them?
@Vostok was on the money. And my bad for not mentioning it in my post.

Yes, I 3D printed them.

Latest version is better but still needs a little bit of adjustment. Happy to share once it's sorted a bit better if anyone is interested.

Will share the .stl file if people have a printer or happy to print and post if costs and postage covered.

That is, so long as I don't get flooded with requests and it chews up time. If that happens, I'll get my kids to print and post if people are happy to chip in a small amount for their time.
I'm trying to get them to learn the value of time and money and stop sitting around on screens all day. ;)

PM me if you are interested...

@Vostok was on the money. And my bad for not mentioning it in my post.

Yes, I 3D printed them.

Latest version is better but still needs a little bit of adjustment. Happy to share once it's sorted a bit better if anyone is interested.

Will share the .stl file if people have a printer or happy to print and post if costs and postage covered.

That is, so long as I don't get flooded with requests and it chews up time. If that happens, I'll get my kids to print and post if people are happy to chip in a small amount for their time.
I'm trying to get them to learn the value of time and money and stop sitting around on screens all day. ;)

PM me if you are interested...
Thanks @HappyPEJ , I’ll get in touch when I am back from holidays

Coming from the Volkswagen/Audi group sport vehicles in the past, I have to say the Model 3 seats and steering wheel are quite a let down. I have the seat on the lowest setting but the lack of side support compared to VW/Audi bucket seats means I feel like i'm sitting on the seat, not in the seat, especially when pushed through corners. As for the steering wheel, having flat bottomed VW/Audi to the Tesla is something I guess i'm going to have to adapt to.

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman