Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
kiwi law maybe what you say is right, ACCC could hold them to account in Oz...
Without wanting to argue, it is simply not correct. ACCC would not be interested unless there was a breach of the retail law which would be deceptive and misleading behaviour, goods not as advertised or cannot do what is represented that can be done.
The idea that if a seller makes an error they are bound to that error is just fanciful. There is no law that binds a merchant to that event.

I’m sure all the lawyers will shoot me down but I understood that placing an order online is classed as an “invitation to treat”. This is similar to picking something off the shelf in a shop, where the display of the item on the shelf is not an offer by the shop owner but called an “Invitation to Treat”. The offer is not made by the shop owner but the customer when they ask to purchases it at the checkout, the shop accepts the offer and the contract is completed. This is why you can choose to put it back if you change your mind before going to the checkout.
Similarly the website is an invitation to treat and you make an offer to buy to Tesla. The contract is not complete until you sign the iPad when you take delivery.
Of course there are lots of Consumer law complications that sometimes override basic Contract Law, but I don’t think they are powerful enough to get you a 90%+ discount if there is an error on the website.
Nothing to shoot down. It is exactly right that the offer is by the customer and acceptance is by the seller. Not only that, but if it was in a bricks and mortar premises and the seller didn't like the customer for whatever reason, the seller could ask the customer to leave, failing which, the seller has the right to use reasonable force to evict or have charged for trespass!

Nothing to shoot down. It is exactly right that the offer is by the customer and acceptance is by the seller. Not only that, but if it was in a bricks and mortar premises and the seller didn't like the customer for whatever reason, the seller could ask the customer to leave, failing which, the seller has the right to use reasonable force to evict or have charged for trespass!
Unless the seller didn't like the buyer because of race, religion yada yada.

Years ago, my boss (an IT Multimillionaire) went into a Rolls Royce showroom in London. He genuinely wanted to buy a Rolls and could pay in cash. The toffee-nosed salesman looked him up and down, listened to his request to buy a Rolls and said: "Sir, where are you from?" My boss replied "Australia". The salesman said: "Sir, I might have known; the Antipodes! We do not sell Rolls Royces to Australians".
End of story. Flat refusal to sell.
True story, good for a giggle.
Regds,
Dave
PS he did eventually buy one plus a 450 Merc, in Sydney. Said the steering on the Rolls was "sloppy", the brakes "Spongy" and the radio was an AWA and not very good.

What sort of real world range are people getting with their M3s in Aust?
I have a new LR with aero covers removed. First longer country drive today. A mere 315kms covered arriving with 73km/15% remaining! Consumption was 196Wh/km. Chill mode, not over 105kmh and pretty leisurely driving. Cool day, drizzle so wipers & lights on the whole way. Just driver and no load. 388km is a long way short of the NEDC 620km figure and even less than the SR NEDC 460km. I knew the NEDC was never going to be achievable, but had sort of hoped something like the cars cluster displayed 500km range might have been possible in real work driving. Is this fairly typical?

Many owners are reporting lifetime sub 150whs/kms for the 75kWh battery models (LR, P3D-, P3D+) which implies a range of about 500kms, which conforms with the "tank" range of 499kms for these cars.
Of course the performance owners may be using more electrons launching, and P3D+ owners are getting about 10% less range because of their wheel size and lack of aeros.

Reactions: Vedaprime
I have a new LR with aero covers removed. First longer country drive today. A mere 315kms covered arriving with 73km/15% remaining! Consumption was 196Wh/km. Chill mode, not over 105kmh and pretty leisurely driving. Cool day, drizzle so wipers & lights on the whole way. Just driver and no load. 388km is a long way short of the NEDC 620km figure and even less than the SR NEDC 460km. I knew the NEDC was never going to be achievable, but had sort of hoped something like the cars cluster displayed 500km range might have been possible in real work driving. Is this fairly typical?
Mine is not LR, so can only report on the SR+ range. When charged to 100% in the morning I have been getting about 300-320km range with AC on and doing mostly 100-110 on highways with some slowdowns to 80km/h. By lunch time with 300-320km driving done, I usually end up with 8-12% remaining and I usually charge then as am worried I might end up too far from a charger with useful speed to allow driving back home before the evening. So would say the actual range would be probably around 350km for SR+ if AC is on (cannot live without it here in QLD)

The longest drive I’ve had in my 2 weeks of ownership was down the ‘Gong and back. Hot day, A/C on auto, driving at the speed limit (up to 110) and I found the range GOM (guess-o-meter) was pretty accurate and the actual distance travelled was close to how much the estimated remaining range decreased. And it’s not a flat drive, as anyone who has driven the Bulli Pass knows :D Based on that, ~500km for LR would seem about right.

I’ll be having a much longer drive in a couple of weeks, one that will require my first supercharge, and that will be a better test.

Many owners are reporting lifetime sub 150whs/kms for the 75kWh battery models (LR, P3D-, P3D+) which implies a range of about 500kms, which conforms with the "tank" range of 499kms for these cars......

Mine is not LR, so can only report on the SR+ range. When charged to 100% in the morning I have been getting about 300-320km range with AC on and doing mostly 100-110 on highways with some slowdowns to 80km/h. By lunch time with 300-320km driving done, I usually end up with 8-12% remaining...

Thanks for the replies. You are doing well with those distances on the SR+ @Priit
I was just reading in another thread, that one has to effectively drive the car at 153Wh/km to achieve the 499km tank range, which is based on a constant. My car has only done 1,500km and is currently showing lifetime 187Wh/km. Cant see any practical way to knock 30Wh/km off. Oddly I noticed the first 10% from 100% down to 90% charge got swallowed at ~ 220Wh/km then consumption reduced markedly towards 190Wh/Km, without me changing anything. I had the dashcam in use , headlights on low, wipers and AC running, streaming music the whole drive so I S'Pose they could all sap some energy.

@Vostok Did you set off to the Gong with a 100% charge or somewhat less?

reason for the high consumption might be aircon on full blast.
It wasnt at full blast by any means. Only 15C yesterday in Southern Vic. So was heating the cabin to 22C during the trip. Battery might have been a bit cooler than it wanted to be when I set off. So perhaps power was wasted warming it up during the first part of the drive. I read that home AC chargers cannot preheat the battery, whereas Superchargers can. My car has never seen a Supercharger. This would explain why in the range test videos they hang out near Supercharge stations.

It wasnt at full blast by any means. Only 15C yesterday in Southern Vic. So was heating the cabin to 22C during the trip. Battery might have been a bit cooler than it wanted to be when I set off. So perhaps power was wasted warming it up during the first part of the drive. I read that home AC chargers cannot preheat the battery, whereas Superchargers can. My car has never seen a Supercharger. This would explain why in the range test videos they hang out near Supercharge stations.

After four years of driving an S/X from my experience heating uses more KW's than cooling by a noticable amount....I fully expect my Model 3 will be no different

Reactions: Techno-phile
Many owners are reporting lifetime sub 150whs/kms for the 75kWh battery models (LR, P3D-, P3D+) which implies a range of about 500kms, which conforms with the "tank" range of 499kms for these cars.
Of course the performance owners may be using more electrons launching, and P3D+ owners are getting about 10% less range because of their wheel size and lack of aeros.

SR+ owner for sure, I don't think there are many LR AWD or Performance owners with that energy usage figure.
Unless they only ever do city driving where the model 3 shines energy usage wise.

But freeway driving and an average of under 150kWh is difficult to achieve in my experience.

I've finally managed to get a 130km highway drive under 140Wh/km by putting the car in Chill mode, having A/C off and being by myself in the car and no luggage.

Last edited:
My longest (SR+) drive was a 287km one from Bargara to the supercharger at the Sunshine Coast. Teslafi says I averaged 149Wh/km. I started on 93% and finished on 7% with the range Guess-o-Meter saying 26 km left. So if I'd run from 100% down to 0% that's about 340km total available. The a/c was running set to 23° and fan level 5 the whole time. There was a massive headwind for the first hour of the trip and the trip planner was complaining at me to slow down as it thought I would not reach the destination.

So in ideal conditions I reckon you could get 370km which tallies with the G-o-M, but ideal is not real world. I generally work on the basis that I can do 300km, which leaves me with some in reserve, "just in case."

Reactions: Anubis
SR+ owner for sure, I don't think there are many LR AWD or Performance owners with that range.
Unless they only ever do city driving where the model 3 shines energy usage wise.

But freeway driving and an average of under 150kWh is difficult to achieve in my experience.

I've finally managed to get a 130km highway drive under 140Wh/km by putting the car in Chill mode, having A/C off and being by myself in the car and no luggage.

SR+ only have a "tank" range of 386kms because of their smaller batteries, so would have great difficulty getting 500kms.

I agree efficiencies of <150whs/kms are more easily possible in city driving because of lower average speed, and that the higher speed outside town kills the efficiency (maybe 25% worse between 90kph and 110 kph).
However there is no reason a P3D- and a LR AWD cannot do the same range if driven the same way, but the P3D- might have to be in Chilled mode to curb the owner's right foot.
A P3D+ has an inherent disadvantage because of 20" wheels and no aero covers.

Thanks for the replies. You are doing well with those distances on the SR+ @Priit
I was just reading in another thread, that one has to effectively drive the car at 153Wh/km to achieve the 499km tank range, which is based on a constant. My car has only done 1,500km and is currently showing lifetime 187Wh/km.

My lifetime for now is 171Wh/km with a Performance Stealth. But how heavy you re with your right foot is important. I regularly go from Melbourne to Cowes, Philip Island which is 130km. My usage for that trip will is mostly 100kph highway oscillated between 165Wh/km and 185Wh/km. Driving in Chill mode I did 141Wh/km. I assume that with A/C on and more charged I would go around 155Wh/km easily.

What's impressive is how much more efficient SR+ are compared with LR model. The lesser weight can't fully explain that.

@Vostok Did you set off to the Gong with a 100% charge or somewhat less?
No, set off at 80% which showed 400 km range on the GOM. I have left my Aeros on, I don’t like the look of the wheels without them. My lifetime efficiency is 166 Wh/km but I’ve only driven 388 km so far. Since the last charge it is 147 Wh/km. That is very good. My LEAF’s lifetime efficiency is 142 Wh/km, and it is a smaller and far lighter car.

Your comment about driving with the heater on is a key bit of info. The heater in Model 3 is resistive, not reverse-cycle AC, so uses a LOT more power which would have a noticeable effect on range and reported efficiency.