Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people's thoughts on buying a CPO "sight unseen" vs having real pictures sent to you and have the DS at the location of the CPO give you a verbal if anything is wrong?

I ask b/c I have missed out on some CPOs that I likely would have purchased but wanted someone to look at the car and send pictures of any defects. In one case this turned out well for me because there was upholstery damage on the pillar and I was told that it wouldn't be fixed - thus we didn't buy it.

Lotsa cheap cars - several P85's in the 50's and some P85+'s in the low 60's (one <60)

It's kind of interesting - the lowest prices seem to be in LA (saw 3 P85 < 55k over the last couple of days, all are gone already, and all were located in LA). Is that coincidence, or might there be a reason?

And wow, it looks like Tesla wants to (has to?) get rid of a lot of CPO inventory... today alone they added almost 100 new cars so far!

Last edited:
We put down our $1000 deposit within 10 minutes our CPO S85 showed up on Tesla site (Thanks to Hanks app!).

Two days later, we went down to the local SC to look at the car in person.
Let's just say we were underwhelmed. The previous owner had large dogs, and no interest in keeping the car clean.
The previous owner had not completed standard maintenance items, basically he just drove it for two years, and traded it in on a newer Tesla.
Tesla proceeded to spend 3 weeks fully reconditioning the car. They installed new : tires, brakes, brake lights, UMC (aka charging cord).
Tesla didn't fix two minor "wear/tear" items we identified, but we accepted car.
On subsequent visit a few weeks later, they picked up our car from our driveway and gave us a P85 loaner. They finished maintenance including titanium battery shield and putting on the S85 badge.

Car runs and looks great.
Couldn't be happier.

That said, we do live only 20 km from the SC, so it was very easy to check on the condition of the CPO we reserved prior to proceeding with the purchase.

Glad we are seeing prices that are more in line with what they should be valued at. Proof is in the number of cars disappearing at the right price. Curious why i dont see any 85D. They should be 2014 cars or later. I guess i will have to wait for more Xs to be made before seeing any 85Ds. Good prices for those who would like to jump now. I still have a year or so to wait before I can take the plunge.

Glad we are seeing prices that are more in line with what they should be valued at. Proof is in the number of cars disappearing at the right price. Curious why i dont see any 85D. They should be 2014 cars or later. I guess i will have to wait for more Xs to be made before seeing any 85Ds. Good prices for those who would like to jump now. I still have a year or so to wait before I can take the plunge.

The Ds are about to show up in greater numbers on the CPO Web site so if you are looking to buy a D, just hang tight for a few months. Realize current Tesla production is about 70% AWD. So given time, the majority if CPO cars available for sale as CPO will also be Ds with Autopilot. It's good you can wait a year because by then there will be a nice selection of Ds for you to choose from.

So I asked again today and even mentioned other forum members got a positive response, but I was told that no, I cannot get the service history of my car prior to my ownership. I was told this is to protect the prior customer's information. Asking them to manually print them out, mark out the customer info, and photocopy that (so I couldn't read through the marker) and that was rejected as well. Compared to MB or Toyota, Tesla doesn't have a way to print a history without it also included the customer info on the front page. Until such time that changes, they won't budge for me. :(

So I asked again today and even mentioned other forum members got a positive response, but I was told that no, I cannot get the service history of my car prior to my ownership. I was told this is to protect the prior customer's information. Asking them to manually print them out, mark out the customer info, and photocopy that (so I couldn't read through the marker) and that was rejected as well. Compared to MB or Toyota, Tesla doesn't have a way to print a history without it also included the customer info on the front page. Until such time that changes, they won't budge for me. :(

I understand you wanting the car history, but does it really matter?, your CPO car will have full warranty and any issues will be resolved. If the car was not a CPO with no warranty then I could understand it being an issue.

I understand you wanting the car history, but does it really matter?, your CPO car will have full warranty and any issues will be resolved. If the car was not a CPO with no warranty then I could understand it being an issue.

I still have no clue when to perform the next round of maintenance on it because I do not know when the coolant was drained (if ever). I also haven't gotten clear pics of the titanium shield to see if it is installed on my car. I went ahead and changed the wipers myself, but wonder if I should just change the cabin filter since I cannot tell when it was last done. When to get my brakes flushed was a concern, but after they replaced all my brakes a few month ago, that basically restarted the 2-year clock there.

Of course it matters. On so many levels. No car dealer, with all the underhanded things they do, would ever withhold the service history of the car if requested. That is a pretty low bar to meet indeed.

I'm glad that Tesla is now providing the service history for CPO cars when requested and this policy was not there last year. This is a welcome change to be transparent about the cars they sell.

They should share this information with Cyclone. Solely on a matter of principle there's something really condescending and wrong about the concept of withholding the service history of the car from the owner of the car. It just wreaks of arrogance and is just plain bad policy.

It's disconcerting that there still continues to be such wildly different experiences when it comes to service records. Some people can get them with little to no effort other than asking. But apparently for whatever reason, you are having such difficulties. I wonder why that is? Your request seems reasonable and your proposed solution doesn't seem to be unreasonable either. Clearly all services centers/showrooms across the country are not operating congruent.

Is there an official policy regarding this?