Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 10 referrals!
Anything special happen @ 10? (2nd secret level)
An amazing adventure?
It says:
Unlock new levels with every 5 referrals ...and amazing adventures....
Do they have to get delivered before I’ll see the next level?
6 of 10 are delivered

Here's a summary of the secret levels they've announced so far.

They done need to be delivered to see the next levels but Tesla needs to unlock it for you. This has been a manual process, so it can take a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniellane
Yes, but isn't the prize a Founder's Roadster ($250,000)? Better add to your tax kitty? ;)

Looks that way. :rolleyes:

So I redid the tax impact of getting a "free" Roadster Founder's edition, and the total state, federal, and sales tax would be about $121,000. So roughly a net 50% discount off of "list" price.

Glad I don't have to decide what to do until 2020+. At least I don't have to wire Tesla $250k in the next ten days (interest free for three years) to reserve a Founder's edition. I wonder what $250k invested in TSLA today, will be worth in 2020?

So I redid the tax impact of getting a "free" Roadster Founder's edition, and the total state, federal, and sales tax would be about $121,000. So roughly a net 50% discount off of "list" price.

Glad I don't have to decide what to do until 2020+. At least I don't have to wire Tesla $250k in the next ten days (interest free for three years) to reserve a Founder's edition. I wonder what $250k invested in TSLA today, will be worth in 2020?

That’s crazy!!!!!

That’s crazy!!!!!

Yeah. It makes me wonder what Tesla is going to do with all the referral award winners with <100% discount. Are they going to require every one of those folks, even with just say 2% off to wire the balance of the full price within 10 days of that part of the referral program ending? Which could be as early as Jan 31,2018. And what about the few people that do reach 100%? Do they have to wire Tesla $250k now to reserve their Roadster, which Tesla will give back in three+ years? Do the referral Roadster winners (regardless of % discount) count in the first 1000?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Here's a summary of the secret levels they've announced so far.

They done need to be delivered to see the next levels but Tesla needs to unlock it for you. This has been a manual process, so it can take a while.
Thanks fo the info!
Thought I was only five away for the SpaceX launch - it’s 20 so I’m 10 away.

Secret Level 1:
Each referral after the initial 5 earns 2% off a next generation Roadster

Secret Level 2 (Unlocked at 10 deliveries):
Drive an Electric Boring Machine (Requires 15 deliveries)

Secret Level 3 (Unlocked at 15 deliveries):
Watch a SpaceX Rocket Launch. Falcon Heavy in Cape Canaveral, FL (Requires 20 deliveries)

Yeah. It makes me wonder what Tesla is going to do with all the referral award winners with <100% discount. Are they going to require every one of those folks, even with just say 2% off to wire the balance of the full price within 10 days of that part of the referral program ending? Which could be as early as Jan 31,2018. And what about the few people that do reach 100%? Do they have to wire Tesla $250k now to reserve their Roadster, which Tesla will give back in three+ years? Do the referral Roadster winners (regardless of % discount) count in the first 1000?
As I understand it. It takes 50k to reserve a founder’s roadster. Then 200k more upon delivery.
However, I have it on good authority that referral discounts are off the base price of 200k. And no 50k reservation deposit is required even though it is for a founders series. So, a 10% discount gets you in @ 180k vs 250k. This sounds crazy (good)

As I understand it. It takes 50k to reserve a founder’s roadster. Then 200k more upon delivery.
However, I have it on good authority that referral discounts are off the base price of 200k. And no 50k reservation deposit is required even though it is for a founders series. So, a 10% discount gets you in @ 180k vs 250k. This sounds crazy (good)

Not correct - for a Founders, you need to put $5,000 down now and wire an additional $245,000 within 10 days. You pay the full purchase price now and Tesla gets use of the money until 2020. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
Yeah. It makes me wonder what Tesla is going to do with all the referral award winners with <100% discount. Are they going to require every one of those folks, even with just say 2% off to wire the balance of the full price within 10 days of that part of the referral program ending? Which could be as early as Jan 31,2018.

It will be interesting to see how it is handled. As of now, we just don't know.

Here is a screen shot of the "rules" - another question is the "expiration date" of the discounts. Note how it say, "Discounts will expire one year after next gen Roadster becomes available for purchase." Arguably, that is now - it is available for purchase now, although not for delivery until 2020.

IMG_3795.jpg

And what about the few people that do reach 100%? Do they have to wire Tesla $250k now to reserve their Roadster, which Tesla will give back in three+ years?

I can't imagine they would make anyone with a 100% free Next Gen Roadster pay anything. That just wouldn't make any sense at all. I would expect that anyone with a free Roadster doesn't have to pay anything. I would hope that anyone with a discounted Roadster only needs to pay the non-discounted portion.

Do the referral Roadster winners (regardless of % discount) count in the first 1000?

Again, it's all conjecture at this point, but I would expect that the "Referral Founders Roadsters" are in addition 1,000 "pay $250K" Founders Roadsters, so that in total, there will likely be a fair bit more than 1,000 total Founders out there.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out. My best advice is to accumulate as many referrals as you can between now and January 31, 2018. While taxes suck, I'd much rather pay the equivalent of $121,000 or so for a "free" Founders Roadster than $250,000 for a "full-price" Founders Roadster. And there is some additional time value of money savings in there as well - $250K upfront in 2017 versus $121K (approximately) in 2021 as a tax payment for an award earned in 2020. At least that's how I see things for now. ;):D

I'll be sure to post if I hear anything further about "Referral Program Roadsters"! We may not hear anything until the current Referral Program ends January 31, 2018. I think it will all work out - the hardest part will be waiting until 2020!

Last edited:
I can't imagine they would make anyone with a 100% free Next Gen Roadster pay anything. That just wouldn't make any sense at all. I would expect that anyone with a free Roadster doesn't have to pay anything. I would hope that anyone with a discounted Roadster only needs to pay the non-discounted portion.

Oh I know... I was just throwing out possibilities, however unlikely.

Here is a screen shot of the "rules" - another question is the "expiration date" of the discounts. Note how it say, "Discounts will expire one year after next gen Roadster becomes available for purchase." Arguably, that is now - it is available for purchase now, although not for delivery until 2020.

I'm on my phone so can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure if you read the Roadster reservation agreement that the MVPA isn't executed until the car is ready. So not a purchase, really.

Also, can it really be a purchase if there's a full payment but no actual product delivered for three years?

I'm on my phone so can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure if you read the Roadster reservation agreement that the MVPA isn't executed until the car is ready. So not a purchase, really.

Also, can it really be a purchase if there's a full payment but no actual product delivered for three years?

Understood and agreed. But there may be a distinction between "available for purchase" and a "purchase" or a "completed purchase." Obviously, we need information from Tesla. I'm just hopeful we receive that information sooner rather than later, but I'm expecting we'll need to wait until after January 31, 2018 for info with respect to the Referral Program and related Founders Roadster opportunity (the close of the current stage of the Referral Program). But I wouldn't mind being surprised with additional information before then.

So many smart people yet this hasn’t been considered. It’s a discount up to free. So anything under 100% is a, “discount” or think of it as a price adjustment. So hit around 90-98% and then purchase the remaining amount like you would a normal purchase or loan. Then go with taxes that way.

If Tesla called me tomorrow and offered me a P100D for 5K because they think I deserve an adjusted price, I pay taxes on that amount. Not the usual MSRP.

So many smart people yet this hasn’t been considered. It’s a discount up to free. So anything under 100% is a, “discount” or think of it as a price adjustment. So hit around 90-98% and then purchase the remaining amount like you would a normal purchase or loan. Then go with taxes that way.

If Tesla called me tomorrow and offered me a P100D for 5K because they think I deserve an adjusted price, I pay taxes on that amount. Not the usual MSRP.

Yeah, I don't think it works that way at all. The actual numbers don't matter. In your example, Tesla could give you a 99.999% "discount", and you'd pay just $2.50 for a $250,000 car. The IRS will be knocking on your door in no time. No matter what, for the awards/prizes, Tesla is going to send you a 1099 for the FMV of the discount on the car, since they're going to want to write that off as an expense. You can't win by playing word games.

Yeah, I don't think it works that way at all. The actual numbers don't matter. In your example, Tesla could give you a 99.999% "discount", and you'd pay just $2.50 for a $250,000 car. The IRS will be knocking on your door in no time. No matter what, for the awards/prizes, Tesla is going to send you a 1099 for the FMV of the discount on the car, since they're going to want to write that off as an expense. You can't win by playing word games.
Well, not that it's even in the same league but did anyone get any tax forms for the rims/tires that were given away?

Status
Not open for further replies.