TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Referral Program

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by djp, Jul 29, 2015.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Sort of-- it's exchanging the Solar token from the previous round with 2 referrals for the Black Wall Charger:

Since the referrals did not reset on September 29th, anyone with 2 or more referrals at that time could never qualify for the Black WC, and only one mini-Tesla. But anyone who got two referrals after that date could get one (or two) of either if they wanted.

This one-time exchange fixes that.

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.21.9

We saw several people mention they were able to exchange the solar roof token for the signature WC. When we asked, we were told is wasn't possible. :(

3. Jeffgtx

Jeffgtx Member

same here. denied.

4. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

#6124 flyhigh123, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    It took about 2 weeks to get it squared away, but I am picking up my Tesla 3 tomorrow with a $11,000 credit from trading in 2 out of my 3 powerwall credits.

Feels great to get the Tesla 3 with $11k off and then another $10.5k for tax rebates etc

To boot, i paid taxes on the car less the $11k, so that saved me 1k in taxes.

:D

• Like x 5
  5. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Congrats - can you give us some more info on who you dealt with to get it squared away?

6. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

about a month ago a person from tesla called me to schedule a delivery for the powerwalls. i said i preferred to keep one and either transfer the other to someoen else, they said no, but i could get a $5,500 credit each. Per the rep, i needed to use the credit within a few months as something about only 1 year valid from end of the referral program, but regardless i already had a tesla 3 ready to configure. I told the rep, i'll configure asap and then we can apply the credit. Rep said ok. Also per the rep, i must keep one of the 3 powerwalls. But i dont mind since i want the signed Elon one.

fast forward 3 weeks after ordering and i speak to the rep about getting everything squared away. I was also contacted by my delivery speicalist. I conference called both and they got everything going. It was a first for either of them, so it took 2 weeks between the different departments to properly apply the credit.

I would reach out to your powerwall contact first. I do not think i can share the contact to who i spoke to unless they say its ok since i'm guessing each referrer may have a different person handling their account.

You can contact the referral program email to get the ball rolling.

• Informative x 3
  7. MorrisonHiker

We had a similar experience. At first, we tried to use the credit on solar. When we found it wasn't possible, we had 3 of 4 credits applied to a Model 3 order. It actually works out better this way since we'll pay full price for solar and then get the 30% tax credit back, saving us another $16000 or so! Add in the state and federal credits and we'll be saving $45000 total. :)

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

How are you coming up with those numbers? So 3 Powerwall credits at $5,500 each = you saved $16,500 on your Model 3. So now you solar cost more, so you saved another 30% = $4,950. + $7,500 federal tax credit + $5,000 Colorado tax credit = $33,950. Where is the other $11,050 of savings coming from?

9. MorrisonHiker

$16500 on 3 Powerwalls + $7500 federal + $5000 state + $16000 ITC (solar) = $45000

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

So your total solar system is about $54k?

11. MorrisonHiker

Around there. We're still waiting on the final size but it should be between 14 kW and 16.25 kW. Go big or go home! We'll then apply the $12500 tax credits towards solar so we'll be saving a LOT on solar too. :D

12. Markk993

Markk993 Member

that is working the system!!

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#6133 HankLloydRight, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Wow, that's a huge system, congrats. Puts my existing 3.5kW system to shame, for sure. ;)

Anyway, I think you're double counting your "savings".

Since you're already paying (let's just say "about") $54k, you're already getting the full 30% solar ITC ($16,000), right?

If you used your PW credits against solar, your ITC would go down $4,950. So I think that's how much more you're actually "saving" by Tesla forcing you to use the PW credit for your M3 instead of solar. (#firstworldproblems, right? ;) )

Therefore all other things being equal, I don't think you can say you're "saving" $16000 above, since you're already saving that $16000 by doing nothing different. What you're really "saving" is the additional $4,950 ($16,500*30%) differential between those two scenarios.

And in addition, you'd get the $7500+$5000 state credits on a Model 3 anyway, so again, you're already "saving" those dollars either way just by buying an M3. Those don't change because of the PW2 credits.

So to properly account your actual "savings" (differential) for the all the PW2 awards, I would rephrase that as:

16500 on 3 Powerwalls + $4,950 ITC ("forced savings") = $ 21,450

If you had zero PW2 awards, everything else would still be the same buying an M3+solar: $7500 federal + $5000 state + $16000 ITC=$28,500.

Still, a pretty darn good deal, no doubt!

• Like x 1
  14. nime01

nime01 Member

If anyone is looking for a local Norwegian referral for the $500 credit and free SC, pm me

15. carbonx

carbonx Member

Did credit actually appear in your account?

16. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

Screenshot_20180217-163817.png

I noticed this recently in the app under my awards showing the credit. I'm in canada so credit is a bit higher.

17. MorrisonHiker

I don't think it shows up in the US yet, at least not on any of the accounts I've checked. We see Powerwall instead.

18. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

No it wasn’t an option unless I asked the rep.

19. Markk993

Markk993 Member

ok Arachnid question... dilemma

thought I had timed it perfectly, the need for tires and my rims on the way... BUT i went to discount tire to check existing tread depth sure that I would hear i was at less the 4/23nd... However... both fronts are still at 6/32nds and rears are at 5 and 7... (had to replace a flat a few months back...So in short way more tread than I thought and I am approaching 15K on this set which seems like a lot from what others say about staggered 21s...

Now my rims and tires are ready... with about 50% tread left on 3 of 4 tires If i switch them out now those tires could be "spares" but I would not likely get to them for a minimum of 18-24 months since these new ones have a higher life expectancy than the older Michelin pilots...this would make these tires more than 4 y/o

I don't want to sell the rims because when it is time to upgrade I am 90% sure it will be through a private sale and I would want to switch them back before that... I am cheap so the thought of not using the 50% tread is also troubling.. On the other hand i don't want to wait 6 months plus before I switch them over.

I thought about asking Tesla to mount my existing tires on the arachnids and either just giving me the other tires or (Ideally) giving me a credit on my account for 4 tires so they would be brand new when I was ready for them... (and I wouldn't have to store them) or do i just say to hell with it, they were free to begin with so move on...it is a good problem to have I imagine

opinions appreciated

Related question.. what it the best way to store rims and tires? laying flat not on the rubber I imagine but...Fully inflated, partially inflated?

thanks all

20. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#6140 FlatSix911, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Simple answer ... mount the new Arachnids as a complete set and never look back! :cool:

Keep the used wheels and tires as a spare set or just sell them as a package deal.
    I recommend that your store the wheels/tires stacked flat on the floor and fully inflated.

• Like x 1