Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I had several friends order just at the right time, and I'm lucky enough to now have 8 referrals. But that's also a bit of a curse as I'll be ordering my Model X soon, and now that I'm in striking distance I'd really like to get the Founders upgrade prize. We'll also be using the Model X for Gallons of Light II which will be going into production as soon as possible. So it's worth it to me to throw in some extra reward to get these last two while I still can.

Seeing what others are doing this seems to be okay. If people think this is objectionable, let me know (politely please) and I'll take it down (or moderators feel free).

I'll give a check for $1,250 to the two people who arrange with me and order their Model S using my link. To take advantage, please PM me and we'll exchange contact info and details. We'll arrange for me to monitor my referral count while you finish placing your order. Once things are finalized and Tesla confirms my X upgrade your check will be on it's way.

So I'll get $1000 off and $1250 from you?

If/when I get to 5 referrals, does anyone have an details (links) for these perks?

- Gigafactory invite
- Free PowerWall (Is this OH and VA only since we don't get the $1,000 credit ($2,000 full discount to the buyer using my OH referral link)

I'd love to hit 10 so I can buy my wife a founders edition Model X, but don't know that I will be able to get there before 10/31.

For $2,000 off your Model S, use my link here: http://ts.la/tim9256

If/when I get to 5 referrals, does anyone have an details (links) for these perks?

- Gigafactory invite
- Free PowerWall (Is this OH and VA only since we don't get the $1,000 credit ($2,000 full discount to the buyer using my OH referral link)

I'd love to hit 10 so I can buy my wife a founders edition Model X, but don't know that I will be able to get there before 10/31.

For $2,000 off your Model S, use my link here: http://ts.la/tim9256

Why 2k and not 1k? You're sending checks too.

Nope, in Ohio there is some law that doesn't allow the referrer to receive the $1,000. So they give the full $2,000 to the buyer.

VA and OH both have laws that state a manufacturer (and I believe franchised dealers as well) can't compensate someone for a referral, as that is making the person a defacto sales person. It's interesting that this does not impact auto buyer programs operated by such companies as AAA and Costco, but I'm guessing this is considered "marketing".

As a result, after the referral program was already in full swing, Tesla had to modify the terms first for VA residents and then OH. Rather than receive the 1k service or accessory credit, the referrer gets $0 and the referee gets 2k. The referrer is still eligible for the invite to the party and the option to buy a founder's series X. I'm not sure about the power wall.

I'm trying to stay within the rules of the forum as well as Tesla, so rather than post my link, anyone who is interested can send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss my Tesla experience as well answer any questions on options, etc.

Fellow Tesla owners, I am on the 5 yard line on pulling trigger on a new Tesla instead of waiting for a CPO deal. If someone is willing to offer their $1,000 referral link, please pm me. The only requirement I have is that I would like to split your share of $1,000 i.e. you share $500 of your bonus with me when you get it later (i keep my full $1000). I will obviously need to trust your word (as a fellow Tesla owner) as I will not be chasing you if you run away after you receive the bonus and not share with me (the only ask is your referral link, name, email and phone number). I want put to my order in tomorrow most likely. If nobody is interested in the offer then I will grab a random referral link from the other referral link thread and contend with just my $1000. Hopefully, i am not being too greedy :). Please PM me if interested.

Oh, the leader lives in Virginia? I am so surprised. Of all the places for this incredibly fair contest to be taken place, the winner is someone who gets to hand out $2,000 discounts.

Good job Tesla. :(

I basically predicted this up thread, as soon as Tesla changed things, suggesting that they had changed them in a way that severely un-leveled the playing field.

And as I posted in the other thread where you posted this info, I fear this is another example of Tesla making a quick decision without fully thinking things through.

The correct thing to do is just take away the $1000 from the referrer, as Virginia seems to be requiring. Tesla may think that by redistributing that $1000 to the person buying the car they are doing the right thing. But in reality what they are doing is insuring that many people purchasing cars will look for people in Virginia to refer them, as they will get an extra $1000 off from a Virginia referral link. So this winds up hurting everyone else attempting to get referrals.

This is also a negative for Tesla because for these purchases Tesla goes from giving $1000 cash off and $1000 Tesla credit to giving $2000 cash off. The $1000 Tesla credit clearly cost Tesla less than $1000, whereas the extra $1000 off is $1000 off the purchase price of a car that --WAS-- being purchased, so that's a pure cash loss.

I'm not playing the referral game, so I don't really care about this. I'm just pointing out that I think Tesla is making a mistake, and what the correct change of course should be.

If Tesla sticks to this plan, expect to see a lot of Virginians at the Gigafactory party.

PM sent.

I'm close to getting the five referrals for the gigafactory party. Really want to go.

Willing to get creative.

Fellow Tesla owners, I am on the 5 yard line on pulling trigger on a new Tesla instead of waiting for a CPO deal. If someone is willing to offer their $1,000 referral link, please pm me. The only requirement I have is that I would like to split your share of $1,000 i.e. you share $500 of your bonus with me when you get it later (i keep my full $1000). I will obviously need to trust your word (as a fellow Tesla owner) as I will not be chasing you if you run away after you receive the bonus and not share with me (the only ask is your referral link, name, email and phone number). I want put to my order in tomorrow most likely. If nobody is interested in the offer then I will grab a random referral link from the other referral link thread and contend with just my $1000. Hopefully, i am not being too greedy :). Please PM me if interested.

Oh, the leader lives in Virginia? I am so surprised. Of all the places for this incredibly fair contest to be taken place, the winner is someone who gets to hand out $2,000 discounts.

Good job Tesla. :(

Good point! I've known about the $2k referral bonus from owners in Ohio and Virginia but never bothered to think about how it would affect the contest results!

- - - Updated - - -

I basically predicted this up thread, as soon as Tesla changed things, suggesting that they had changed them in a way that severely un-leveled the playing field.

Eek!

I'm pretty sure this thread is fair game for posting your link. :)

I think you are correct. There doesn't seem to be a reason why we should limit people getting money off of their cars. I was hoping we would be able to get a benefit together for the funds, but since I'm in VA it looks like that isn't going to happen. So, if you want 2K off your car here is my link. If anyone can think of a way to transfer funds to a benefit, I'm happy to participate.

http://ts.la/greg3223

I think the "blame" here is misguided... it is the states law that caused them to change it for the 2 (Ohio and Virginia) states to be this way...

Tesla didn't need to give the person buying the car the $1000 that the person making the referral in those two states could not get. By making that decision, Tesla unleveled the playing field for everyone else in the program. Any person buying a Tesla, with complete knowledge of the referral program, and interested only in maximizing their own discount, without respect for "who really deserved the referral credit" would have no reason to use a referror from anywhere other than Virginia or Ohio.

If Tesla simply didn't give the $1000 credit to people who lived in Virginia or Ohio, they still would have been complying with those states' laws, they would not have been unleveling the playing field, and the only people "hurt" by those states' laws would be the people living in those states.

Which seems more fair to you? Negatively impacting the people who live in the two states that have the restrictions or negatively impacting all the other Tesla owners attempting to make referrals?

I am not actively trying to make referrals. But if a good friend or relative were to come to me with the intention of purchasing a Model S, and were to ask me about using my referral code, I would simple to him or her to andrewket, in VA, so that my friend or relative could save an extra $1000. (I know andrewket would be willing to help my friend or relative with Tesla knowledge and advice as much as I would.) I would not accept a $1000 in Tesla credit over my friend or relative saving an extra $1000 on the car.

Once Tesla made the decision to go that route, they really changed the program significantly, and again, for no good reason, as simply eliminating the credit for the Tesla owners living in the affected states would have worked just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.