Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, here's what the email says: From now through October 31st, if someone buys a new Model S through your link (my link deleted because I'm NOT trawling), they will get $1,000 off the purchase price and you will get a $1,000 credit in your Tesla account, which can be applied to a future car purchase, service charge or accessories.

"A future car purchase".... the X is not a car?
Referral Program | Tesla Motors

"You can use discounts toward a service center visit for your Tesla, to buy accessories or even a new Model S. Discounts are not transferrable and cannot be used to make monthly payments, purchase pre-owned Model S, or reserve Model X."

Now that I read it again, it doesn't explicitly rule out using the credit on a Model X purchase - just on a Model X reservation. But it doesn't say you can spend the credit on a Model X purchase either.

Edit: The Norwegian wording is a bit more firm though, it explicitly says that the only things you can use the credit for are service center visits, accessories and a new Model S.

Björn Nyland - who's vacationing in Thailand and not even promoting his code other than one video on his YouTube channel - is up to five referrals. The Android app says he's the current EU leader.

Go Björn!

Would love to see him get the Model X. He's a great guy and his videos beloved by many. Couldn't happen to a better person.

Björn Nyland - who's vacationing in Thailand and not even promoting his code other than one video on his YouTube channel - is up to five referrals. The Android app says he's the current EU leader.

Go Björn!

Would love to see him get the Model X. He's a great guy and his videos beloved by many. Couldn't happen to a better person.

Maybe he doesn't even know about that. Pleasant surprise to come home from holiday and notice, that you have won Model X :biggrin:

björn.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he doesn't even know about that. Pleasant surprise to come home from holiday and notice, that you have won Model X :biggrin:

Oh, he's aware. But I love the fact that he's not really trying that hard.

"Here's the link, if you guys want to use it, great, so I'm out of here for a few weeks."

Hope it's OK to post this....I haven't really followed this thread or what the TMC policy is regarding the referral program. Please delete if this goes against protocol.

Björn Nyland's referral link - YT

Tesla referral program - YouTube

worst case he brakes even.

What nobody seems to be including in their calculus of this contest is the taxes. The taxes on the Model X if you're lucky enough to win it. The taxes on the differential value of the "loaded" Model X over the base MX. The taxes on each of the $1000 store credits, on which Tesla is likely to send out 1099-misc to every winner, since they'll be deducting those as expenses. The only prize without taxes seems to be the GF tour where people are paying their own expenses to get there.

Also, the people receiving these $1000 check bribes are also likely taxable, although I doubt anyone would report it. Unless of course, the giver of the $1000 checks has an LLC or other business set up to declare those as expenses, then they're in the same boat to issue 1099s.

So people should just be aware.

What nobody seems to be including in their calculus of this contest is the taxes. The taxes on the Model X if you're lucky enough to win it. The taxes on the differential value of the "loaded" Model X over the base MX. The taxes on each of the $1000 store credits, on which Tesla is likely to send out 1099-misc to every winner, since they'll be deducting those as expenses. The only prize without taxes seems to be the GF tour where people are paying their own expenses to get there.

Also, the people receiving these $1000 check bribes are also likely taxable, although I doubt anyone would report it. Unless of course, the giver of the $1000 checks has an LLC or other business set up to declare those as expenses, then they're in the same boat to issue 1099s.

So people should just be aware.

Good points. The $1k he's donating to the buyer can be seen as a gift, and not taxable. But since he entered a contest there is no way to spin his initial $1k as a gift from Tesla.

So I went to the Tesla sales center by work here to talk with them about it. I found out some more information on the referral system.

- Apparently the free Founders Model X is a regional thing, so the first to 10 in Norway for instance will get one, as well as the U.S. etc.

- The referral system has the goal of getting people who wouldn't have bought a Tesla in the first place to purchase one by referring people in person to it. If you were to just put up a link for instance and offer to write a $1000 check to anyone that buys one using your link *cough* then it's not really a referral and you won't be eligible to get the Model X. They have the right to refuse anyone from getting it, and if you have 10 you know they sure as hell are going to analyze all your referrals to make sure they were done in the spirit of the program.

- Hanging out at the sales center and giving people that go there your links also will be turned down pretty swiftly.

- The salesman suggested that I go to places such as near other dealerships for luxury cars to show off the car to people. This is exactly the kind of thing that Tesla was hoping for: getting new customers that otherwise weren't going to buy the car.

- He also mentioned that Elon Musk is doing this as an experiment and if it turns out that we all are just grabbing people that are buying the car anyways to use the referral link then the experiment will have failed.

So happy hunting. I think I'll just spend some free time going and sitting around a supercharger and such; I seem to get tons of people that come up to ask about the car that know nothing about it :)

So I went to the Tesla sales center by work here to talk with them about it. I found out some more information on the referral system.

- Apparently the free Founders Model X is a regional thing, so the first to 10 in Norway for instance will get one, as well as the U.S. etc.

- The referral system has the goal of getting people who wouldn't have bought a Tesla in the first place to purchase one by referring people in person to it. If you were to just put up a link for instance and offer to write a $1000 check to anyone that buys one using your link *cough* then it's not really a referral and you won't be eligible to get the Model X. They have the right to refuse anyone from getting it, and if you have 10 you know they sure as hell are going to analyze all your referrals to make sure they were done in the spirit of the program.

- Hanging out at the sales center and giving people that go there your links also will be turned down pretty swiftly.

- The salesman suggested that I go to places such as near other dealerships for luxury cars to show off the car to people. This is exactly the kind of thing that Tesla was hoping for: getting new customers that otherwise weren't going to buy the car.

- He also mentioned that Elon Musk is doing this as an experiment and if it turns out that we all are just grabbing people that are buying the car anyways to use the referral link then the experiment will have failed.

So happy hunting. I think I'll just spend some free time going and sitting around a supercharger and such; I seem to get tons of people that come up to ask about the car that know nothing about it :smile:

If you were to just put up a link for instance and offer to write a $1000 check to anyone that buys one using your link *cough* then it's not really a referral and you won't be eligible to get the Model X. They have the right to refuse anyone from getting it

then a lot of people are going to be very unhappy and a lot of people are wasting their money with their advertising.

I can't imagine any dealership allowing you to sit on their lot and try and steal business away from them...that'll surely get you the swift boot off their private property.

How could you know Bjorn is leading?

android app noted above shows it.

And the app data comes from ... users who choose to report? I hope Bjorn wins for his region, don't get me wrong. But I think he's in first place among people using that Android app & self-reporting. Lots of other people out there :).

I wonder what happens when ten of your referrals get used ... since it maxes out at 10, if someone decides to cancel before completing the sale, then you're out of luck. Or have to go find another referral.

So happy hunting. I think I'll just spend some free time going and sitting around a supercharger and such; I seem to get tons of people that come up to ask about the car that know nothing about it :)
1 per region is in the blog post. It's one each for NA, Europe, Asia/Pacific.

- The referral system has the goal of getting people who wouldn't have bought a Tesla in the first place to purchase one by referring people in person to it. If you were to just put up a link for instance and offer to write a $1000 check to anyone that buys one using your link *cough* then it's not really a referral and you won't be eligible to get the Model X.

I just wanted to highlight that point to everyone else here.

^And how are they going to monitor that? Hire private detectives to find out who knows who and who talked with somebody or not? It would be one h*ll of a kind mess. And I would also point out, that some random person in Tesla sales center probably doesn't know any more than we about the program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.