Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have concluded that Tesla must be vetting their referrals from certain sources. Someone told me that after $600 in adword purchases, he had not one referral. I have one, but that is someone I had correspondence with prior to ordering. To be secretive, caused at least one influencer to spend $600 without any possibility of return.

This change resulted in a bunch of free advertising for Tesla, that is likely to disappear. I figured Tesla welcomed it as they cannot advertise in many states that protect the crony dealership model.

Plus, the staffing they have for vetting these referrals should be redirected to fulfilling the long overdue prizes. To discourage referral marketing makes no sense given that it is so inexpensive to use the grass roots to do it for you.

If they are to change the rules, they should let us know. I am pretty much done with this effort. TOTAL FAIL TESLA.

I live with a lawyer and I've always thought Tesla was leaving themselves open to lawsuits by just saying "fair use" without defining it. I can understand they want to leave the door open to shut down any new schemes someone may come up with, but they should define the existing schemes they don't allow with some verbiage to the effect that they can add restrictions and clarifications at any time.

Legalese tends to get longer and more complex over time because schemers get better at working their way around the rules. Simple instructions leave a lot of people wondering where the boundaries are.

Maybe Tesla is now only allowing referrals from direct contacts. If so, they should tell us.

I don't know many people in the real world who could afford a Model S or X, though I know a fair number who could afford a Model 3. I doubt there will be any incentives to buy Model 3s for some time though.

I'm a terrible salesperson when it comes to direct sales. It just isn't my thing. However, I think I am a fair educator and I think I have contributed a little to the public's knowledge base about Tesla and the tech involved, here on this forum, in my blog, and elsewhere. I may have tipped some people over the edge into buying from my education efforts, but I will probably never know. Nobody has told me they bought because of something I said specifically, though I think I probably helped people along the path in at least a few instances.

Those doing educational videos on YouTube and providing other resources to people learning about the cars have indirectly sold a lot of cars for Tesla. When I was first educating myself videos by Bjorn and kmanauto went along ways towards helping me cement my decision to buy. The more knowledgeable people here like wk057 and several others also contributed as well as a number of websites with news and information about Tesla and electric vehicles. Nobody directly sold me a car, it was an organic process with many steps.

When I can, I try to give back like those people did for me.

Packard's slogan used to be "ask the man who owns one". Of course the more updated version would be "ask the person who owns one", but they went out of business before feminism was even a term. That aside, Teslas are sold the same way, but unlike the old days when people asked Packard owners directly, there is a world of information out there and I can learn a tremendous amount about Tesla and their cars from someone on the other side of the planet with whom I may never have any kind of discussion.

I can understand cracking down on people who keyword spam to get their code used. These people are just trying to benefit from people who have already decided to buy for some other reason. However I think those who contribute something whether it be information or resources (such as some of the support sites out there) should not end up in the same boat with those who are not really contributing anything. Now if someone can identify the specific person who tipped the scales for them, that person definitely deserves the referral, but in a lot of cases there is no one person who "made the sale".

It's possible that Tesla will invalidate use of my code going forward because I didn't have a personal relationship with any person using my code. But they are so tight lipped about it we won't know until someone sues them. I wish they would tell us what is forbidden. I'm happy to comply with the rules if I know what they are.

My theory is this. When they redesigned the referral dashboard, the got serious about the flow of referrals. It is easy to know what site the link came from. Simply identify the buyers coming from links on YouTube, TMC, Tesla Forums, Teslarati, Teslabliterings, Google, TeslaDiscountCoupon, Bing, Facebook, or any other high volume referral source. That will cut flow to get mostly folks who enter the link manually into their browser and are more likely to be personal friends.

That probably saves Tesla from paying out half of the referral prizes or more. Plus, most of those sources will still send referrals for at least another round of the program. Even if no major influencer invests in content that will produce referrals, those videos and blogs will stay on the Internet dutifully driving sales to Tesla.

My theory is this. When they redesigned the referral dashboard, the got serious about the flow of referrals. It is easy to know what site the link came from. Simply identify the buyers coming from links on YouTube, TMC, Tesla Forums, Teslarati, Teslabliterings, Google, TeslaDiscountCoupon, Bing, Facebook, or any other high volume referral source.

Actually due to increased HTTPS protocol security, and how Tesla supplies everyone with their referral link :
Code:
http://ts.la/name1234

... in this case, the HTTP_REFERER is NOT sent to Tesla:
  • http to http – Referral data sent
  • http to https – Referral data sent
  • https to https – Referral data sent
  • https to http – No referral data sent
So if you're on any HTTPS site that has a HTTP referral link (like youtube or google) and click on the HTTP referral link, no referral info is sent to Tesla. So they can't be limited referrals based on that, since most sites these days are HTTPS.

Add: Site owners can set a header meta tag to enable sending some referral info, for instance, only sending referral info when clicking on an internal like, so you know the click came from your own site and not externally.

Last edited:
@HankLloydRight are you saying we should change our links to https... on various sites? Can we put a null code in the HTTP_REFERER field?

How are they screening leads then? Maybe a survey e-mail or call to buyers coming from high volume referral links?

I would say leave it alone the way it is, or make your own site(s) HTTPS.

I have no idea how they are screening.. I'm assuming they are flat out asking people "Do you know this person?" and if the answer is "No"... no referral credit.

Those doing educational videos on YouTube and providing other resources to people learning about the cars have indirectly sold a lot of cars for Tesla. When I was first educating myself videos by Bjorn and kmanauto went along ways towards helping me cement my decision to buy. The more knowledgeable people here like wk057 and several others also contributed as well as a number of websites with news and information about Tesla and electric vehicles. Nobody directly sold me a car, it was an organic process with many steps.
Thank you for the kind words!

My theory is this. When they redesigned the referral dashboard, the got serious about the flow of referrals. It is easy to know what site the link came from. Simply identify the buyers coming from links on YouTube, TMC, Tesla Forums, Teslarati, Teslabliterings, Google, TeslaDiscountCoupon, Bing, Facebook, or any other high volume referral source. That will cut flow to get mostly folks who enter the link manually into their browser and are more likely to be personal friends.

That probably saves Tesla from paying out half of the referral prizes or more. Plus, most of those sources will still send referrals for at least another round of the program. Even if no major influencer invests in content that will produce referrals, those videos and blogs will stay on the Internet dutifully driving sales to Tesla.

Agreed ... a lot of people are giving up after seeing this :cool:

upload_2017-2-22_22-59-27.png

I cannot believe they are asking each new buyer who their friend was. That is kinda awkward. A survey maybe, but most just ignore those as do I.

They must just be blacklisting high volume folks as I don't think they are investigating things. But if they do have investigators, please redirect your efforts toward delivery of past prizes.

Is this real life? The Tesla lady who was helping me out with my wrong-color arachnid wheels (which btw came with Pirelli tires, not Michelin PSS) just sent me this in response to my request whether I'd still receive a survey to customize my PW2 since a 7th referral just showed up in my account for last round:

"The reward for 7+ referrals in the last round only applies to owners in Canada and Mexico. You are, however, on track to get the red Founders Series Powerwall 2 for this referral period if your current referrals take delivery."

Did anyone else get that memo? And then why the hell don't they change the terms for the US program?

When you talked with the Tesla lady, did you ask if you would be getting a 1099 for the rims and if so, what value they would place on them? My service center representative told me today that Tesla Service centers are getting the rims in April and I am not sure I want a 1099 with $6500 of rims on it.

When you talked with the Tesla lady, did you ask if you would be getting a 1099 for the rims and if so, what value they would place on them? My service center representative told me today that Tesla Service centers are getting the rims in April and I am not sure I want a 1099 with $6500 of rims on it.

Is this speculation on the Form 1099 ... who at Tesla said that you would receive a $6,500 value on a 1099?

My mother is looking to buy a vehicle. If i told her to use my link from online and i DON'T get the credit, wouldn't that have been a breach?

Have her be the test case. I would like to know how they are filtering. I think it is just blacklisting anyone who is high volume. I have yet to find any of the usual top sources getting anything this round.

Reactions: flyhigh123
I just got the following update on the Arachnid wheels from Tesla:

Thanks for your patience as we produce and ship your Arachnid wheels. Unfortunately, there have been delays that pushed out our shipping and installation timeline.

We are currently tracking to have your wheels delivered to your selected service center for mid April with installs after that. This is extremely high priority for us to get you your wheels with high quality as soon as possible. We appreciate your understanding and ongoing support. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

I'm not sure if this means they will be here where I live (in Sweden) by mid-April (and thus sooner for North American customers) or if it's a more general date and I'll have to wait additionally for overseas shipping.

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that there have been issues with production and quality, but this is contradicted by the claims in this thread from people saying they've already received theirs.

Having a Model S and a Model X and a Model 3 on order, I have been a marketer for Tesla since Day One.

I have spent hours each week showing my car to patients, colleagues, and Friends. I often give test rides and demonstrations after which many of my friends place orders.

The initial Tesla Financial rewards program was well-designed and rewarded the owner for the time invested and for being in the marketing arm of Tesla. The new program does not. I remember getting my first set of tires from the reward that I received under the old program. It motivated me to continue to market to others a great product.

Getting a ticket to some opening that I cannot attend because of distance or being tossed into a pool for some prize it's not my idea of an incentive.

The new program offers little if any incentive. At a minimum the program should offer half of the financial incentive to the buyer and half to the marketer, namely $500 each.

I personally bought my first Tesla because of a test ride with a friend. Part of that time I didn't even know what a Tesla was.

I so wish that the Tesla marketing division would realize that their current owners are their greatest asset and selling Teslas. Incentivizing owners accordingly will see sales Skyrocket.

Once again, last night I spent an hour of my time showing a colleague my Model X. He is canceling his order for a BMW and ordering a Model X.

Take heed Marketing if you are genuinely interested in making your sales numbers next quarter.

Scott

As a side light, the Model Xmas software was probably one of the best marketing tools you ever inadvertently developed. I must have demonstrated it to over 50 people and I'm sure a good number of them will purchase. But again like the initial financial incentives to owners program for marketing the car, this marketing tool disappeared.

In as much as Tesla does not have an advertising budget, please take care of your owners who are working hard to sell a great car.

Is this speculation on the Form 1099 ... who at Tesla said that you would receive a $6,500 value on a 1099?
It's speculation. I thought the rims used to cost $6500 when Tesla was selling them and according to the IRS, Tesla should send out a 1099 for all prize winnings for the value of the prize unless this is somehow considered a rebate toward your existing car. They have not answered this question.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
They haven't 1099ed folks for prizes in 2015 so I doubt they will here.
Thats good to know. This is what the IRS states:
Prizes and awards

Subject to certain exceptions, the cash value of prizes or awards won in a drawing, quiz show program, beauty contest, or other event, must be included on the tax return as taxable income.

Taxpayers must also report the fair market value of merchandise or products won as a prize or award, as taxable income.

For example, both a $500 cash prize and the fair market value of a new range won in a baking contest must be reported as other income on Form 1040, Line 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.