Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole referral programme appears to be very badly managed and open to misinterpretation. It should be simple and concise and offer things that are of use to the masses like free servicing, kids cars, wheels etc.

Good point about what is offered. I am not sure that a prospective buyer will have any feel for what the value of free Supercharging might be, because they don't have the car yet (assuming they are first-time buyers) and won't have a working knowledge of the Supercharger network, how many kWh you need for a trip, and so on. So "free supercharging" might not sound like much of an incentive to "noobies."

So "free supercharging" might not sound like much of an incentive to "noobies."

It's funny, because I think the exact opposite is true -- that the actual value of FUSC is much less than the perceived value. If someone charges at home every night for local travel, and only uses SCs for road trips, the amount they'll actually spend really isn't much -- maybe $100 per year? Add that to the free 400 kWh people get each year, that's nearly a mega-watt hour of energy. At 300 Wh/m, that's about 3000 miles (I think the math is right).

So I think the FUSC perk makes people feel really good, but in the end, is it really that valuable?

Of course the equation is different for the traveling salesman who drives hundreds of miles a day and also supercharges for most of that.

Hey, @Kbra , what is up with the disagree? We had a TMC member since 2014 ask a question where he could post his referral code. I told him he was in the right place to post it. The moderators of the site have stated this is the one and only place on TMC to post a referral code. So I help a long-standing member @David99 where to post and you give me my first disagree? Care to explain yourself?

F90C77E9-5C41-4E8B-A569-8F709AC0B42B.png

Hey, @Kbra , what is up with the disagree? We had a TMC member since 2014 ask a question where he could post his referral code. I told him he was in the right place to post it. The moderators of the site have stated this is the one and only place on TMC to post a referral code. So I help a long-standing member @David99 where to post and you give me my first disagree? Care to explain yourself?

View attachment 251211
It would have been nice to have a thread with people simply posting (spamming) their referral codes, and another thread for useful information about referral programs. It seems like these two concepts got mixed into this thread.

It's funny, because I think the exact opposite is true -- that the actual value of FUSC is much less than the perceived value. If someone charges at home every night for local travel, and only uses SCs for road trips, the amount they'll actually spend really isn't much -- maybe $100 per year? Add that to the free 400 kWh people get each year, that's nearly a mega-watt hour of energy. At 300 Wh/m, that's about 3000 miles (I think the math is right).

So I think the FUSC perk makes people feel really good, but in the end, is it really that valuable?

Of course the equation is different for the traveling salesman who drives hundreds of miles a day and also supercharges for most of that.

Interesting take. You could be correct. And i do agree that for most people with some experience, the monetary value of FUSC is modest at best (except for the traveling salesman types, as you say). But my point is that I do not think most non-EV drivers yet have enough of a working familiarity with the math to come to the same conclusion that we do.

But it may be that because I think the FUSC is not worth much, that is what I project onto others. It would be interesting to do some market research to see what the typical prospective buyer does think of the FUSC. maybe some smart grad student is working on that as we speak!

It would have been nice to have a thread with people simply posting (spamming) their referral codes, and another thread for useful information about referral programs. It seems like these two concepts got mixed into this thread.

I wholeheartedly agree. I come to this thread for the discussion, not to see everyone's referral code. But unless (or until) the powers that be create that separate thread, we've been told that this is the one "safe haven" for code posting. And for a member to disagree to a post pointing out that fact doesn't help further the discussion or other any constructive viewpoint. Perhaps if that member responded as you did with a constructive post, we could have a dialogue and people could weigh in.

Just by the huge blowback created when Tesla first pulled FUSC at the end of 2016, only to restore it for most of 2017 (via referral codes) I think speaks volumes as to how much new and repeat buyers psychologically valued it.

And you're right that new buyers lack the experience of knowing the real value, but just the term "FREE UNLIMITED" has a huge psychological impact. Who doesn't want "FREE UNLIMITED" anything? :)

View attachment 251211
Because I disagree with your suggestion of spamming this thread with Referral codes and providing no value.

It should unlock Secret Level #1 which gives you 5 more... but maybe it's on some periodic schedule that Tesla notifies people. So maybe wait a few days and see if you get the Loot Box notice.

After The first five you get secret level #1. You can then refer 5 more and get to secret level #2 where you can refer 41 (or 51 total). One guy in Norway already has 22 on the current program (not the one starting last week but the one with the loot boxes).

Hi, we are looking to buy a model X (Netherlands, Amsterdam)
Can someone please explain what a referral code is and how I can use it?
Supercharging is free right? So why do we need a referral code for charging?
Thanks for helping out a new member!
Tesla created the referral program to promote viral marketing. The referrer gets rewarded when their code is used and the buyer gets rewarded as well. There is no loss for the buyer to use the referral code - all buyers should use someone's referral code.

Currently without a referral code buyers wget 400Kwh of free supercharging on S/X After that they have to pay to use supercharging.

With the referral code buyers get free Supercharging.

Also through Oct 31 buyers save $1000 US on the price of the car.

Reactions: redan

A referral code is a what all current owners of Model S and Model X cars get to refer prospective buyer to Tesla. The benefit for the current owners is that they get rewards according to the referral program and for the new owners in that they get a discount (if ordering before October 31st) and access to free supercharging for as long as they are the owners of the vehicle. If buying without a referral, the discount does not apply and supercharging is included up to 400 kWh per year, after that a fee applies.

If you are looking for referral codes, I suggest you use the referral code of a helpful friendly colleague or aquaintance that already owns a Tesla and can explain you all things Tesla as there are usually a bunch of things that can be a bit new and unfamiliar to the fresh Tesla owner. That friend or colleague will have an incentive to be real helpful if you use their referral code.

If you do not know someone who can be your go-to person for all things Tesla and is just looking for a referral code, well then feel free to use My tesla referral link. I would greatly appreciated it and help you with any questions you may have, but seeing as i live in Norway and you in Holland, you probably would be better off with finding that colleague/friend who owns a Tesla.

To use a referral, click on someone's referral link and start the order process from there, or inform the sales person in the Tesla store that you have a referral code (which is the name and numbers at the end of the referral links) and they will enter it for you.

Good luck with your purchase, you will get an awesome car!

Last edited:
Oh, this is delicious.

Pot:

View attachment 251211

Kettle:

Because I disagree with your suggestion of spamming this thread with Referral codes and providing no value.

Black:

[Mic drop] :D

The amount of discount also depends on the region (value of dollar in relation to US) - for example, the Canadian referral code is good for $1,400 CDN discount for orders in Canada but can be used internationally. Here is the email Tesla generates for me:

Hey _________,

If you buy a Tesla Model S or X through the link below, you’ll get free, unlimited Supercharging. If you order by October 31, you’ll get $1,400 off as well. You can also get a 5-year extended warranty on solar panels. Only existing Tesla owners can send the link, and it works for up to 5 friends. I think it’s a good deal so wanted to send it over. Call me if you want to see my car!

Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

My suggestion? @doug/the site owners/the site moderators have designated this thread as the "dumping" ground for referral codes. That's like giving me a disagree for suggesting someone drive on the right side of the road in the US.

This thread is already the dumping ground for referral talk and links. The new threads crop up like weeds and are merged by the admins into this thread. I bet this thread already has a combination of a hundred threads now.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Status
Not open for further replies.