Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgent!!! Looking for referral code from someone who bought car before Jan 2018. By some mistake Tesla lost referral code, which was submitted when I bought my Tesla X back to Jan 2018. PLEASE HELP ME to get referral code (with owner email address, promise do not use your email anywhere accept Tesla once). Guys from Tesla ready to help me if I will bring referral code. Thanks.
PM'ed, Come with a free wall charger

Urgent!!! Looking for referral code from someone who bought car before Jan 2018. By some mistake Tesla lost referral code, which was submitted when I bought my Tesla X back to Jan 2018. PLEASE HELP ME to get referral code (with owner email address, promise do not use your email anywhere accept Tesla once). Guys from Tesla ready to help me if I will bring referral code. Thanks.
thomas1648
[email protected]
Thanks!

Which is in violation of Tesla T&C's and when they find out they will remove your credits ... and leave you with the bill for the goods you have given away.

It would be interesting to see a legal argument for whether giving away a prize violates the good faith clause. Promoting the giving away of prizes certainly violates the "annoying" part of the clause, but then again so does having to see a hundred referral codes here. It would be less annoying if all the referral codes were in their own thread instead of the thread about referral codes. A great public service would be to write a script for the site that automatically move referral codes to their own thread. I certainly wouldn't ask the moderators to do more. They have enough to do merging duplicate threads and weighing in on snippiness.

I would think that all of the actions listed in the "OK" portion of Tesla's Good Faith Clause are the publishing of referral codes, which is mentioned as restricted. So it appears this clause contradicts itself.

I appreciate the counter culture of Tesla getting to forgo traditional advertising, so I am inclined to give them a long leash on ambiguity here and endure referral code pimping, unreliable prize delivery dates, programs without legally binding terms and other annoyances.

As to whether offering to give away your prize, or any thing of value constitutes selling your code, I would think of that as buying a referral, which isn't explicitly restricted. Giving away your time to get a referral is a non monetary buying of a referral as well. Again, contract attorneys please weigh in for fun.

Good Faith Clause

We introduce programs such as these in good faith and expect the same good faith in return. Please note that we may withhold awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. To be clear, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing or selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable.

Not OK:
  • Advertising
  • Spam
  • Anything misleading or annoying
OK:
  • YouTube channel
  • Informational & fan websites
  • Social media sharing

Last edited:
Maybe I'm reading this wrongly, but to me that is covered by

"selling referral codes is not appropriate"

But, hey, its not up to me.
I think that means that you can't sell the codes and have people pay you for your code. Not really sure, but I think what I'm doing is more like 'buying customers' so to speak. Either way, I don't really see what is wrong with what I'm doing since it benefits both sides more

• Disagree
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
. It would be less annoying if all the referral codes were in their own thread instead of the thread about referral codes.

Even if we had that, people are constantly posting their referral codes in every possible thread they can find. Especially people new to TMC will create an account, search for "referral" and post their referral code in every thread that even mentions "referral". So even if there were an attempt to quarantine actual referral codes to just one thread and leave 'referral program discussion' separate, people would still log in, find both those threads, and spam their codes everywhere. So while it's not a great solution, just dumping it all in one thread is the 'best' solution for now and minimizes the work the mods have to do maintaining different 'referral' threads.

As to whether offering to give away your prize, or any thing of value constitutes selling your code, I would think of that as buying a referral, which isn't explicitly restricted

Exactly. I think this is what's tripping people up. When Tesla says "...selling referral codes is not appropriate" they mean, for example, someone going on Ebay and trying to get new customers to PAY them for a referral code, where the ebay seller gets cash for SELLING their referral code AS WELL AS the referral credit and prizes. That's explicitly prohibited.

Tesla doesn't want other people to profit off of selling of free referral codes like Staples discount vouchers or coupons. Suckers are born every minute, and you could certainly see someone who just doesn't know any better see an Ebay auction for "Tesla Referral Code-- Save $1000 off a new Tesla" for sale for just $250. (Remember, when the referral program started, buyers got a $1000 credit, or briefly, $2000 in Ohio and Virginia). And I'd bet that actually happened early on, too.

So giving away advice, rides, test-drives, or even wall chargers or other referral prizes is actually "buying" a referral credit, not selling a referral code. There is a difference.

Now as mentioned, does that run afoul of the "good faith" clause? I don't think so. I think the "good faith" clause was meant to cover, what Tesla deems "nefarious scenarios", like if someone found a way to hack or steal referral codes. Also, since we're all un-official and un-paid Tesla spokespeople, they want to reserve the right to shut down any possible negative PR people might dream up -- like buying Google AdWords ads to broadcast referral codes and make it look like it's sanctioned by Tesla.

Now with all that said, at least as far as I know, I don't think we've seen or heard of anyone getting referral credits nullified or taken away -- even from the 'nefarious' Google AdWords advertisers.

Reactions: pkodali
Even if we had that, people are constantly posting their referral codes in every possible thread they can find. Especially people new to TMC will create an account, search for "referral" and post their referral code in every thread that even mentions "referral". So even if there were an attempt to quarantine actual referral codes to just one thread and leave 'referral program discussion' separate, people would still log in, find both those threads, and spam their codes everywhere. So while it's not a great solution, just dumping it all in one thread is the 'best' solution for now and minimizes the work the mods have to do maintaining different 'referral' threads.

Exactly. I think this is what's tripping people up. When Tesla says "...selling referral codes is not appropriate" they mean, for example, someone going on Ebay and trying to get new customers to PAY them for a referral code, where the ebay seller gets cash for SELLING their referral code AS WELL AS the referral credit and prizes. That's explicitly prohibited.

Tesla doesn't want other people to profit off of selling of free referral codes like Staples discount vouchers or coupons. Suckers are born every minute, and you could certainly see someone who just doesn't know any better see an Ebay auction for "Tesla Referral Code-- Save $1000 off a new Tesla" for sale for just $250. (Remember, when the referral program started, buyers got a $1000 credit, or briefly, $2000 in Ohio and Virginia). And I'd bet that actually happened early on, too.

So giving away advice, rides, test-drives, or even wall chargers or other referral prizes is actually "buying" a referral credit, not selling a referral code. There is a difference.

Now as mentioned, does that run afoul of the "good faith" clause? I don't think so. I think the "good faith" clause was meant to cover, what Tesla deems "nefarious scenarios", like if someone found a way to hack or steal referral codes. Also, since we're all un-official and un-paid Tesla spokespeople, they want to reserve the right to shut down any possible negative PR people might dream up -- like buying Google AdWords ads to broadcast referral codes and make it look like it's sanctioned by Tesla.

Now with all that said, at least as far as I know, I don't think we've seen or heard of anyone getting referral credits nullified or taken away -- even from the 'nefarious' Google AdWords advertisers.
I couldn't have said it remotely as well as you did

Ok, I just checked -- and here's a 'nefarious scenario'..

Just search for 'tesla referral' on ebay right now. There are dozens of $.01 or $.99 auctions SELLING referral codes. Many of them (I won't do them the favor or posting a link here) PROMISE to give away the wall charger. They just say "contact me on ebay with your name" and they'll send the promised award out. Except there's ZERO accountability on Ebay. Anyone can create an account, post a referral code auction, promise prizes, get referrals, and then shut down their anonymous ebay account and never send anything out. The buyers get burned.

There's another I found that promises: "Receive $1000 off a new Tesla Model S or Model X and super charge for life. Simply use my referral code by following this link to Tesla's ordering page. Buy or lease."

I could see a buyer using that referral code, placing an order, and then saying "Where's my $1000 discount!??".. Tesla says "Sorry, there is no discount". Ebay account closed. Buyer gets burned. Ebay seller still gets referral credit/prizes.

Now you might say that's not that much different than what people are offering on TMC, but ebay provides additional layers of anonymity.

Now just take note that Tesla isn't taking steps to shut down those ebay auctions or invalidate those referral codes, which clearly violate the 'good faith' clause and are undeniably 'nefarious'.

Status
Not open for further replies.