Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stop introducing common sense and freedom of speech into a discussion about Tesla.
Isn't it funny how "freedom of speech" is often confused with "creating a shouty and inaccessible space where the majority of folk with pretty middle-of-the-road opinions get drowned out and driven away by angry over-opinionated s**t-posters on both sides"

...just an observation. Peace and love ✌️

Reactions: H43lio and duncans
Isn't it funny how "freedom of speech" is often confused with "creating a shouty and inaccessible space where the majority of folk with pretty middle-of-the-road opinions get drowned out and driven away by angry over-opinionated s**t-posters on both sides"

...just an observation. Peace and love ✌️
Yes, and if you think it's bad on the UK and Ireland forum around USS, go read the views of the vastly higher user base on the American part of the forum on the same topic. Much more refreshing to see that there are far fewer fanboys on that forum, with opinions on both sides freely discussed.

I guess that's what happens when the penetration of Tesla sales reaches normal car drivers, not tech-heads who delight in Elon's latest whizzo idea.

Peace and love back to you too.

That’s interesting. In general I always felt the American forums are much more polarised and nasty than the UK and Ireland ones…
I agree - perhaps I badly phrased it when I said both sides were freely discussed. What I should have said maybe is "that opinions on both sides are much more likely to be expressed?". But the level of fandom appears to me to be much less pronounced there, so perhaps it leads to strident voices on both sides.

And yes you are right, North Americans tend to have a refreshingly blunt way of speaking, as Sir Humphrey might say...

I agree - perhaps I badly phrased it when I said both sides were freely discussed. What I should have said maybe is "that opinions on both sides are much more likely to be expressed?". But the level of fandom appears to me to be much less pronounced there, so perhaps it leads to strident voices on both sides.

And yes you are right, North Americans tend to have a refreshingly blunt way of speaking, as Sir Humphrey might say...
Well, if you go on Teslarati you’ll get plenty of bluntness but not much of it is refreshing.
Mostly all rather puerile, I think… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here we go, back to the ridiculous notion that anyone who dares to make a perfectly valid criticism of Tesla is a moaner. And then the suggestion that you should just p*ss off and buy a different make of car. It’s rather pathetic, even more so for being entirely predictable. Perhaps a more positive suggestion would be that Tesla try and improve some of the frankly embarrassing aspects of their oh so incredibly advanced, cutting edge cars.

Besides, we need “moaners” (I would call them “realists”) to counteract the sycophantic hero worship of people who will tolerate no criticism of Tesla, however much that criticism might be deserved.
There is 'valid criticism', and then there is inventing wild scenarios that are claimed not to possibly work with a feature than no one has seen. I pointed out that these seemed pretty nonsense to me, and get back a tiresome diatribe of comments not related to the subject. People are just finding ways to make themselves unhappy. If you really believe all of these points it utterly ridiculous to keep a car that can be easily sold, life's not worth living with such huge inconvenience and stress, find a happier place. The fact that people feel that's ridiculous suggestion means they clearly don't really have the issues as they are stated.

I agree that the wipers aren't good enough in the dark, and at the least we need an override for mistaken wiping during the day. I've also experienced that auto-dips on motorways get it wrong a lot, but at least I can override them. On other road types I don't have much of an issue with auto-dips, some people think they are slow to the competition, I don't know about that. I don't think many people on this forum will 'sycophantic hero worship' Tesla, that's a simply untrue.

My new car came without radar, so it's been vision only for AutoPilot from the start, I see there is really no difference to me as a user compared to my previous car with radar, autopilot works just as well. I don't need to drive over 85mph or within 1 car length of another car, those are nonsense requirements for the UK. This should give people confidence that Tesla are replacing with equal capabilities. I use AutoPilot all the time, living just off the M40 nearly every journey is on a motorway and I always use AutoPilot with EAP for lane change etc. It works very well.

I like the way the car develops new features, I like the new energy app, I like that I can now view sentry cameras remotely, I like the auto heated seats, etc. So much is a step forward and unlike any other car I've owned previously.

I agree that the wipers aren't good enough in the dark, and at the least we need an override for mistaken wiping during the day. I've also experienced that auto-dips on motorways get it wrong a lot, but at least I can override them. On other road types I don't have much of an issue with auto-dips, some people think they are slow to the competition, I don't know about that. I don't think many people on this forum will 'sycophantic hero worship' Tesla, that's a simply untrue.

My new car came without radar, so it's been vision only for AutoPilot from the start, I see there is really no difference to me as a user compared to my previous car with radar, autopilot works just as well. I don't need to drive over 85mph or within 1 car length of another car, those are nonsense requirements for the UK. This should give people confidence that Tesla are replacing with equal capabilities. I use AutoPilot all the time, living just off the M40 nearly every journey is on a motorway and I always use AutoPilot with EAP for lane change etc. It works very well.

I like the way the car develops new features, I like the new energy app, I like that I can now view sentry cameras remotely, I like the auto heated seats, etc. So much is a step forward and unlike any other car I've owned previously.

At risk of coming across as patronising, I would like to commend these three paragraphs for acknowledging the niggles you've had that line up with others' points of view, sharing the absence of serious complaints you've had with radar-less USS, whilst mostly avoiding hyperbole. A+, good post, would read again, etcetera.

Now let's all be friends - group hug? I'll get a round of drinks in? 😅

Looking back over this thread, I think we’ve squeezed the life out of it.
I’ve run both radar and vision on AP. It is none the worse for running solely on the latter as far as I can tell.
I’m prepared to sit back and see what any change brings without worrying about it, but then, I learnt how to park a car with only a rear view mirror as an aid. The car I learnt in had neither wing mirrors (remember them!) nor door mirrors.

The no radar comparison is a bit spurious. Firstly Tesla admit themselves they never really got it working, secondly no radar happened in the US a year before it happened to us, so by the time we started getting radar free cars they’d worked out the remaining bit of radar functionality for everyone. The radar was also quite a big element in standalone passive safety systems and Tesla have dropped reporting the performance of those.

USS are about the final 3 feet (or metre), for me they have virtually nothing to do with things like FSD except when parking. They’re to cover the bit when our highly tuned depth perspective eye sight starts to struggle, nudging up to an obstacle as it disappears out of view. I’d be disappointed if anyone was so narrow minded to think the task was utterly impossible for all eternity to do what Tesla say, but I am in the camp that thinks they should give us a credible alternative before taking the sensors away.

I’ve seen a few mentions of code that might exist in 2022.40.xx, let’s hope it’s there and works, otherwise I pity anyone about to take delivery of a MY and wants to reverse in the rain into a parking space. It’s hard enough with USS.

I’ve seen a few mentions of code that might exist in 2022.40.xx, let’s hope it’s there and works, otherwise I pity anyone about to take delivery of a MY and wants to reverse in the rain into a parking space. It’s hard enough with USS.
If only the modern day architects who design car park spaces would throw away their 1950’s model Austin A35’s and use 7 series BMW’s to determine the space required, we wouldn’t need parking sensors any more 😂

If only the modern day architects who design car park spaces would throw away their 1950’s model Austin A35’s and use 7 series BMW’s to determine the space required, we wouldn’t need parking sensors any more 😂
I thought most architects owned wheel refurbished businesses next to multi story car parks they’d designed with tight bends and concrete curbs.

There is 'valid criticism', and then there is inventing wild scenarios that are claimed not to possibly work with a feature than no one has seen. I pointed out that these seemed pretty nonsense to me, and get back a tiresome diatribe of comments not related to the subject. People are just finding ways to make themselves unhappy. If you really believe all of these points it utterly ridiculous to keep a car that can be easily sold, life's not worth living with such huge inconvenience and stress, find a happier place. The fact that people feel that's ridiculous suggestion means they clearly don't really have the issues as they are stated.

My “valid criticism” is that my autowipers are crap, AHB is a joke and phantom braking is still very much of a reality. I have never speculated on things like vision only parking with no USS because I haven’t experienced it yet. I’m very happy to presume it will work fine until proved otherwise, though Tesla’s past record means I think anyone would be wise to be cautious.

What is frustrating, and the reason why people will not stop “moaning”, is that much of this stuff has been solved a long time ago. It’s unacceptable and downright embarrassing that Tesla can’t give us decent autowipers on this class of car. It’s not that they can’t solve it but that in their hubris they are too bloody minded to admit that vision doesn’t work, and so they refuse to fit a cheap, effective and reliable sensor. And if Tesla can’t give us bog standard AHB how will they ever manage to implement much more complex matrix lights?

What is also frustrating is that Tesla continually over promise and under deliver. I’m still waiting for “autosteer on city streets” that I was promised by the end of 2019.

I also like the fact that my car develops new features with software updates, but right now so much discussion on updates is all about which features have been taken away (without our consent) and what new bugs have been introduced.

It seems to me that too many people are content with mediocrity. I’m not. Apart from performance and efficiency I’m no longer particularly impressed with my M3, so I will be one of those people p*ssing off and buying something else.

whilst clearly much later than expected, at this point, for the EU/UK, all complaints can be addressed to UNECE complaints department....!
I’d guess that if Tesla could demonstrate a working, consistent, safe version with no driver interrupts then the UNCE would adjust accordingly. What is offered US is a driver aid that requires being 'on the trips' to take over.

Reactions: MrBadger
whilst clearly much later than expected, at this point, for the EU/UK, all complaints can be addressed to UNECE complaints department....!
Can you please actually point to the specific rules you think are stopping it?

The UNECE rules impose a couple of operational requirements, for instance it fully allows automated lane changes however it requests 2 things, firstly it executes in a reasonable time period and secondly the driver needs to confirm the change. In practice, all a driver needs to do is tap the indicator to confirm a lane change or any turning when promoted. I don’t think that in itself is the reason we don’t half half the features

The second area they impose is to limit cornering force. That appears perfectly reasonable, it would be a scary and dangerous ride if the car could navigate spaghetti junction in Birmingham in wet and icy conditions with no moderation of speed. As drivers we moderate our speed to the conditions, so predicting cornering forces and moderating speed to be safe must be a requirement for these system, so the only discussion becomes the threshold.

Another is summon, our regs require a “dead man’s handle” approach, ie the person remotely supervising/requesting the summon has to be sending a continuous signal to say carry on. It’s fairly obvious why, if the signal is lost, the car carry’s on, and an accident occurs, we have a problem. So if the car loses the signal it stops. Tesla chose an implementation protocol that drops out.

I’ll give you advanced summon over a long distance, but as basic summon is so dodgy I do t think Tesla could do it even if it was allowed.

The tesla owners group have developed the siege mentality view that it’s due to the regulations, but when you ask them “what regs?”, bearing in mind Tesla are still saying these are level 2 systems, nobody can offer one. If you are aware of some, then I’d really appreciate being informed of it.

I am in the camp that thinks they should give us a credible alternative before taking the sensors away. …

I pity anyone about to take delivery of a MY and wants to reverse in the rain into a parking space. It’s hard enough with USS.
I’ve had a MY since September. I nearly always reverse into our driveway.
I also find this more difficult than in my previous/other cars.
My wife has also commented on this. It’s most difficult in the dark & rain, obviously not using the reverse camera as it is obscured.
I’m not sure what it is, the fact the doors mirrors are dimmed, or the reverse lights aren’t as powerful?