Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my vin finally, starting with 580. Had anyone had confirmation either way that their 580 build has USS or not? I know they are not making them sequentially which makes it difficult to work out. I have asked Tesla this too so will let you know what they say to me.
I'm 560, Tesla sales rep has said that I won't have USS, but I haven't (yet?) got the USS notification on my order page...

It might be that the sales rep is just making stuff up.

With respect, you misunderstand the point of Tesla, and Musk's philosophy on vehicles.

The wipers and high beams aren't meant to allow a human driver to see. They are meant for the vehicle to see. You are superfluous in the engineering mindset of Tesla. Why on earth would you want to SEE? You don't do anything except watch Netflix while the vehicle does all the icky boring driving decision making?

Except for one small niggle. FSD is crap, dangerous and will never work properly. And until the stock market wakes up to that fact, stops treating Tesla like a meme stock and forces a change on Tesla and Musk (or more likely his replacement) we will be stuck with the current dead-end unusable tech.
Unfortunately, you may be correct. The whole philosophy of the changes in the past two years points to emphasis on removing the human from driving. I started to realize that with the V11 debacle when in the morning after I had to drive in a freezing snowstorm with open windows because I could not find the defogger button.

We are stuck in the valley of degrading human driving experience and inept automation. However, the competition is coming strong now. If Tesla continue with this philosophy Musk may start to look for buyers for those gigafactiories. The average user could care less for FSD promises when cheaper cars are better built, have better service, working auto wipers and comparable EV performance. If I am on the market for M3 or MY type of vehicle I would think twice because of many viable, or even better, alternatives (not the same case for MS and MX). Especially, when Tesla is opening the network for other EVs.

Looks like another dose of fans talking up what might be possible, best case, in theory, in a Vision based replacement for the USS. I'll believe it when I see it!
I think both have their merits and things would be better if they had both complimenting the others weaknesses, The issue that I see is if vision doesn't work at least as well as USS in every situation (and having seen how poor Tesla can be in some common UK scenarios, I can see this being the case), without any evidence to the contrary that vision can suddenly handle situation that it currently cannot, it's going to be a backward step handling many common UK scenarios.

I’d just be happy with a decent car and forget the FSD bs
Unless there is work currently underway on a replacement Model 3 and Model Y, I can see Tesla being left a generation behind. Macan E as an upper end competitor, revised Ioniq 5 at the mid point, and MG at the lower end - all of them with tech that is at least equal if not superior to Tesla. 800v architecture, vehicle to load, comparable / superior range - all of which points to Tesla feeling like it is older tech and no longer cutting edge.

But instead, we get this insane focus on Cybertruck (unusable in most of the world), FSD (similarly unusable) and 0-60 times that can't be used safely outside a dragstrip. Starting to feel like one of those tech startups in the early noughties - refreshing and new at the beginning and picked up by early adopters, but go bust quickly once the market overtakes them.

I can see Tesla being left a generation behind. Macan E as an upper end competitor, revised Ioniq 5 at the mid point, and MG at the lower end

not sure what you mean by generation in this context. From a manufacturing/product/profitability perspective all of the above are still playing catch up to Tesla. the only differentiator is 800 volts, which from a customer perspective has very little real world advantage, if any, at this point.

Tesla is working on their next platform which will be below the 3/Y, which Tesla are aiming to have at ~50% lower manufacturing cost than current 3/Y platform. This has been discussed in recent investor calls.

Looking to be launched as as a new "small" car and also as the RoboTaxi platform

But instead, we get this insane focus on Cybertruck (unusable in most of the world)
Trucks are a huge market in USA, where this is focused... Market leader F150 sells ~800k units per annum in USA alone and at high margin... so Tesla are addressing a key profitable market local to their production, why is that "insane"?

We are stuck in the valley of degrading human driving experience and inept automation.
Succinct, sadly accurate, and certainly reflective of my experiences with my lone 2018 Model 3. And lone it will remain. Our new Ioniq5, though not directly comparable, excels in so many ways as a vehicle for the driver as opposed to turning away from that in preparation for some driverless future.

not sure what you mean by generation in this context. From a manufacturing/product/profitability perspective all of the above are still playing catch up to Tesla. the only differentiator is 800 volts, which from a customer perspective has very little real world advantage, if any, at this point.

Tesla is working on their next platform which will be below the 3/Y, which Tesla are aiming to have at ~50% lower manufacturing cost than current 3/Y platform. This has been discussed in recent investor calls.

Looking to be launched as as a new "small" car and also as the RoboTaxi platform

Trucks are a huge market in USA, where this is focused... Market leader F150 sells ~800k units per annum in USA alone and at high margin... so Tesla are addressing a key profitable market local to their production, why is that "insane"?
I would just like them to stop facking up their current customers' cars first.

Secondly, the cybertruck I'm sure will be a good seller for them in the US - cementing them as a brand that does not give a hoot about the rest of the world. Good luck to them in competing with the entrenched truck makers like Ford and the myriad GM brands, though - I'm sure he will take enough sales away from them to make the truck profitable.

Thirdly, what Tesla has shown is the benefits of bargain basement interior quality - huge profit margins compared to the companies that spend lots of time and effort on refinement, NVH development, ergonomics etc. Whether this will see Tesla have to massively up its game - or the competition massively cheapen out their own development budgets - remains to be seen, but clearly Tesla has shown that you can chuck together an EV car with no thought to quality and driver / passenger experience and it will still sell.

But now that the competition is surpassing them I think the glory days are over. The small car / robotaxi is another of Elon's attempts at pumping the stock price so he can fleece his gullible investors. Same with FSD - coming to you by the end of 2019. The fact the share price has halved since the glory days, and fallen 50% this year, has nothing to do with the Twitter debacle and more to do with Tesla not being the only EV game in town anymore.

And if he hasn't devoted at least a billion or so for a revised M3/Y platform, then it has about 2 more years before the likes of the Germans and Koreans take a much higher market share and provide a full offering from superminis to luxury cars - something Tesla seems incapable of.

Thirdly, what Tesla has shown is the benefits of bargain basement interior quality - huge profit margins compared to the companies that spend lots of time and effort on refinement, NVH development, ergonomics etc. Whether this will see Tesla have to massively up its game - or the competition massively cheapen out their own development budgets - remains to be seen, but clearly Tesla has shown that you can chuck together an EV car with no thought to quality and driver / passenger experience and it will still sell.
I'm driving a Mercedes at the moment, whilst my model 3 is in for repairs. I can tell you, hand on heart, that the interior is awful. Absolutely awful. give me a Tesla every single day of the week.

Secondly, the cybertruck I'm sure will be a good seller for them in the US - cementing them as a brand that does not give a hoot about the rest of the world. Good luck to them in competing with the entrenched truck makers like Ford and the myriad GM brands, though - I'm sure he will take enough sales away from them to make the truck profitable.
so not "insane" then?

But now that the competition is surpassing them I think the glory days are over. The small car / robotaxi is another of Elon's attempts at pumping the stock price so he can fleece his gullible investors. Same with FSD - coming to you by the end of 2019. The fact the share price has halved since the glory days, and fallen 50% this year, has nothing to do with the Twitter debacle and more to do with Tesla not being the only EV game in town anymore.
now you're just trolling?

Reactions: STUtoday
I'm driving a Mercedes at the moment, whilst my model 3 is in for repairs. I can tell you, hand on heart, that the interior is awful. Absolutely awful. give me a Tesla every single day of the week.
That’s really interesting.
Tesla’s interiors are average at best, it’s disappointing to hear that from a premium brand.
What is it in particular that you dislike about the Mercedes? And which model is it?
Makes me worry that EV makers are all starting to level down…

Yeah, right. My 9 MONTH old tesla rattles itself at the extent that I get nervous ticks after 2 hour drive. still got 5 years on loan and I am not sure if interior will not fall apart by the end of year 4. Interior quality is no where near the 50k+ priced car. bloody qashqai had 0 rattles compared to this example of great interior quality...

now you're just trolling?
no, he is right. FSD HAD to be ready by end of 2019. it is not even fully launched in US, not even mention anywhere else in the worlds. and regarding share price - it's half the top price now.

1668428371502.png

Last edited:
Reactions: H43lio
Yeah, right. My 9 year old tesla rattles itself at the extent that I get nervous ticks after 2 hour drive. still got 5 years on loan and I am not sure if interior will not fall apart by the end of year 4. Interior quality is no where near the 50k+ priced car. bloody qashqai had 0 rattles compared to this example of great interior quality...

no, he is right. FSD HAD to be ready by end of 2019. it is not even fully launched in US, not even mention anywhere else in the worlds. and regarding share price
Shhhh - don't spoil a good dream by waking him up.

The ride quality, interior and ergonomics of my Y is worse than the Ford CMax I got new in 2004. Literally no comparison, unless you are solely talking about acceleration. The CMax was quiet, rode far better, cornered far better, had zero rattles, better seats, ergonomics were spot on, the tch such as auto lights, auto wipers, climate control, - everything worked and was much easier to use. I have not climbed into a Ford recently, but I would guess that with nearly 20 years of development it would wipe the floor with Tesla. The ride is so uncomfortable and autopilot so dangerous that my wife prefers her 12 year old Peugeot for long drives, and I can't use AP if she is in the car.

The fact that someone actually thinks a robotaxi is going to be released any time soon clearly indicates their views are skewed heavily toward the "can do no wrong" part of the spectrum.

Reactions: H43lio