Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. Very useful. I'll get a quote from a couple of the electricians recommended by Tesla as well. Are non-tesla chargers easier to install?
Some are. Basically the electrics need to be protected against smooth DC leakage at 6mA and an earth fault in the most common type of earthing installation. A Type B RCD would cover the DC leakage and an earth rod(s) or an active O-PEN protection unit covers the earth fault. There are other ways of protecting against these faults, eg a Type A RCD plus a 6mA DC protection unit, but are often even more expensive and/or complicated.

Some charge points have protection devices for these faults built in, possibly using different approaches to the above. Unfortunately it is not always clear what protection each type of charge point offer, but in the case of the Tesla Wall Connector, it needs external protection on both counts.

Does anyone know the delivery time if I order from the website (I can't see any delivery dates) or can I just buy one when I pick up the car?
The delivery time will be only a few days but don't mount the TWC outside as its only IP44 and therefore rain can get inside the unit or handle. When mine failed with water in the handle Tesla would only replace it under warranty if I moved it inside or built a shelter for it. Strange I know when looking at all the destination chargers that are mounted outside on wooden pillars...

The delivery time will be only a few days but don't mount the TWC outside as its only IP44 and therefore rain can get inside the unit or handle. When mine failed with water in the handle Tesla would only replace it under warranty if I moved it inside or built a shelter for it. Strange I know when looking at all the destination chargers that are mounted outside on wooden pillars...
? You can’t mount the Tesla wall charger outside? It’s IP55.

Last edited:
? You can’t mount the Tesla wall charger outside? It’s IP55.
I know nothing about electrics, but the installation manual for my Tesla charger installed in '17 is IP55 - indoor & outdoor. The current manual is IP44 - indoor & outdoor. A quick google and the difference between the two standard:

• 4 - Protection assured against water splashing from any angle.
  • 5 - Protection assured against water jets projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) from any angle.

@kelvin 660, sounds like you had a jobsworth on the case. As you say, destination chargers are outside 99.9% of the time.

Mine failed after 6 months with water in the handle. I pointed out to Tesla even if the charger unit is out of the weather the handle will still be getting wet as the car is kept outside. So what's the difference? Anyway warranty unit is now in the garage and if the handle fails I will be able to get another warranty replacement...
PS I also pointed out the confussion of the two IP44 & 55 ratings, but there was no comment...

Reactions: DJP31
Be interesting to see the UK sales on M3 going forward with all grants removed.
The M3SR + now looks expensive compared to the LR.
I wonder if Tesla might look at other incentives should the market dip?

I suspect the price of the LR may move up to get some parity between the 3 cars in the range - IMO they're unlikely to drop the price of the SR+ as these continue to appeal to fleet buyers at the current price, and there is too much of a differential between the LR & P which really isn't justified in the extra kit.

Having lurked here on the forum for a few months, hoovering up information, this afternoon I have at last placed my order for a new Long Range M3, white, 19 inch wheels, black interior.

looks like a June delivery which suits me fine, car scheduled to be collected from Leeds.

Super excited!

It might come sooner!

I ordered my M3 LR in Midnight Silver with Aero Wheels on April 1st and got a text today that it's expected in Bristol between May 10th and May 25th, even though the original estimated date was June. Can't wait!

You won’t regret it!*

*Hopefully 😅
🤣 I have suffered at the hands of Range Rovers in the past - including the only new car I’ve ever rejected...so I very much have my fingers crossed! Have to say though that generally speaking the Tesla problems seem to be more cosmetic than leaving you at the roadside...whereas the build on the RR was great but every journey was an adventure - albeit for the wrong reasons 🤔🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo and browellm
It might come sooner!

I ordered my M3 LR in Midnight Silver with Aero Wheels on April 1st and got a text today that it's expected in Bristol between May 10th and May 25th, even though the original estimated date was June. Can't wait!

I order an M3 LR (white) the start of March & requested a June delivery. Not heard anything to the contrary, yet.