Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peculiar, because I find the auto wipers absolutely fine over 9000+ miles driving in 6 months. They very occasionally get it wrong, but that’s my experience with auto wipers in other brands.

Appreciate I’m the lucky exception here though. It’s remarkable how there’s such a wide range of experiences in this feature.

For what it’s worth the auto high beam has been great too, with only the very occasional comedy flicker of up/down/up caused seemingly by reflections from road signs.
No major issues with auto wipers here either. If pushed, I would say they are a tad slow coming on and going off, but no worse than any other car I've owned and better than those on my i3.

I'm not a fan of AHB but tried it a few times over Christmas and was surprised how well it did, it saw oncoming lights 100% of the time but personally I would have dipped earlier on seeing the beam on the road ,walls etc rather than the lights themselves.

I have a hunch the wipers vary depending on a combination of weather, what you clean your glass with, maybe even how often you clean it, whether you clean your wipers, do you use anything that includes a water dispercent like one of these wash and wax all in one etc. From time to time we've probably all seen that slight haze after a wipe that takes less than a second to clear. I'm not sure why sometimes you get it and other times you don't, but you can imagine a computer might be sent into melt down by it when you do get it. While we could spend ages working out how to minimise it if that is a factor, and it might make peoples lives easier if we found the magic trick, the system should really cope with it regardless.

Reactions: MB11 and Doudeau
Peculiar, because I find the auto wipers absolutely fine over 9000+ miles driving in 6 months.

I suspect it’s nothing to do with distance driven but how often you are in the scenario that cause the issue. So if you live in an area where the wipers/AHB struggle, you are going to encounter the issue regularly it it will probably get pretty tiresome. But if you drive long distances but mostly in areas not affected, then you may not even notice an issue.

The tell is how previous experiences in those same regular drives has been handled. For us, we have to drive many miles before we get into open skies - most of roads within 5 or more miles are tree lined and canopies. Our experience is that these are not handled well by Teslas implementation, yet no issues what so ever with other cars. Had I been regularly driving similar trips on open roads or around town, we probably would not even notice any issue of the type we get close to home as the occasional mis wipe is such a rare occasion (and often coincides with conditions that we have near home). Conversely, a reluctance to wipe around here is not a big deal as it can be sorted by press of the stalk. But if I was regularly driving dual carriageways and motorways in heavy spray conditions, that would quickly become an issue too rather than an annoyance as it is now.

Reactions: MB11
I suspect it’s nothing to do with distance driven but how often you are in the scenario that cause the issue. So if you live in an area where the wipers/AHB struggle, you are going to encounter the issue regularly it it will probably get pretty tiresome. But if you drive long distances but mostly in areas not affected, then you may not even notice an issue.

The tell is how previous experiences in those same regular drives has been handled. For us, we have to drive many miles before we get into open skies - most of roads within 5 or more miles are tree lined and canopies. Our experience is that these are not handled well by Teslas implementation, yet no issues what so ever with other cars. Had I been regularly driving similar trips on open roads or around town, we probably would not even notice any issue of the type we get close to home as the occasional mis wipe is such a rare occasion (and often coincides with conditions that we have near home). Conversely, a reluctance to wipe around here is not a big deal as it can be sorted by press of the stalk. But if I was regularly driving dual carriageways and motorways in heavy spray conditions, that would quickly become an issue too rather than an annoyance as it is now.
Definitely spray conditions for me. The scenario it cant cope with is lots of spray from heavy vehicles whilst its drizzling. In this situation is just want to wipe as little as possible.

I presume phantom wipes (or possessed wiper mode where i goes nuts in dry conditions) must be related to incorrect readings due to muck or standing water near the sensors. Don't know if this will ever be fixable as it could mean the cameras is uses aren't in the best place.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Appreciate I’m the lucky exception here though. It’s remarkable how there’s such a wide range of experiences in this feature.
You're not the exception. Mine have been working fine for 2 years. People are more likely to complain on forums than praise. IIRC there was a thread for listing the good things about the cars. That soon got drowned out by the usual complaints.
There has always been variability in Teslas' performance, the wipers being the most common and least understood, although I think George and Badger may be on to something.

• Funny
Reactions: browellm
I presume phantom wipes (or possessed wiper mode where i goes nuts in dry conditions) must be related to incorrect readings due to muck or standing water near the sensors.
For us, it’s heavily tree lined roads and canopies when the light is trying to break through. Opposite when it starts raining, they are reluctant to trigger due to lower light levels under the canopies or dusk. For us, nothing to do with cleanliness of windows or road conditions - lighting seems to be the main contributor. Add- a difference between Tesla system and most others is that other systems are effectively self illuminating - a light is shone and it’s reflection is measured. With Tesla, it’s highly influenced by external lighting conditions and what the cameras can see.

Last edited:
You're not the exception. Mine have been working fine for 2 years. People are more likely to complain on forums than praise. IIRC there was a thread for listing the good things about the cars. That soon got drowned out by the usual complaints.
There has always been variability in Teslas' performance, the wipers being the most common and least understood, although I think George and Badger may be on to something.
I doubt anyone on this forum would be able to tell how much of an issue this is for drivers seeing as a forum isn’t an accurate representative of any customer base in either direction.

I happen to agree with the thinking that the wipers are configured the same for everyone but individual circumstances impact the operation. I still think they’re crap compared to previous cars I’ve owned in the same situation though.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I happen to agree with the thinking that the wipers are configured the same for everyone but individual circumstances impact the operation. I still think they’re crap compared to previous cars I’ve owned in the same situation though.
Whereas I had the opposite problem with my last car. My Tesla's are far superior. Everything is relative.

Just had an autopilot meltdown halfway down the M6, middle lane, moderate traffic, alarms, gongs, bongs… keep your hands on the wheel…. They are on the wheel, indicated by me violently wiggling the steering from side to side, no joy - autopilot aborting! Never had it before and it was fine for 59 miles. Glitch of the last release?

Just had an autopilot meltdown halfway down the M6, middle lane, moderate traffic, alarms, gongs, bongs… keep your hands on the wheel…. They are on the wheel, indicated by me violently wiggling the steering from side to side, no joy - autopilot aborting! Never had it before and it was fine for 59 miles. Glitch of the last release?
Is this the big red steering wheel and "take control immediately"? Often this means that the autopilot computer is confused and has given up. It can be because one of the two autopilot computer nodes has crashed and is rebooting. If you find that all autopilot features (even TACC) are unavailable for about a minute or two, and then come back, this is probably a sign of one of the autopilot computer nodes rebooting.

As a one off, I'd put it down to a glitch. If it starts happening regularly, and particularly if it isn't confined to just one software release which may have a bug, then I'd suggest noting down the exact time of each occurrance and then opening a service request. They can check the logs to see what was going on at the time, and it could be a sign of a faulty computer.

• Informative
Reactions: browellm and CWT3LR
Is this the big red steering wheel and "take control immediately"? Often this means that the autopilot computer is confused and has given up. It can be because one of the two autopilot computer nodes has crashed and is rebooting. If you find that all autopilot features (even TACC) are unavailable for about a minute or two, and then come back, this is probably a sign of one of the autopilot computer nodes rebooting.

As a one off, I'd put it down to a glitch. If it starts happening regularly, and particularly if it isn't confined to just one software release which may have a bug, then I'd suggest noting down the exact time of each occurrance and then opening a service request. They can check the logs to see what was going on at the time, and it could be a sign of a faulty computer.
I had this happen when I switched the lights off. I have often been in the habit of switching the lights from auto to off during the day ... just to avoid unnecessary lights usage and the dipped beams coming on when you drive past a line of trees sometimes. I think the sequence was that I was already on autopilot ... then switched the lights to off ... got the red steering wheel and klaxons and autopilot shut down. This was not long after the update that changed the behaviour to require auto lights to be on when in autopilot.

I had this happen when I switched the lights off. I have often been in the habit of switching the lights from auto to off during the day ... just to avoid unnecessary lights usage and the dipped beams coming on when you drive past a line of trees sometimes. I think the sequence was that I was already on autopilot ... then switched the lights to off ... got the red steering wheel and klaxons and autopilot shut down. This was not long after the update that changed the behaviour to require auto lights to be on when in autopilot.
Ah, that's good to know. I'm probably seeing everything through the lens of faulty computers constantly rebooting because that's what happened to me, but clearly there are also more mundane reasons for the autopilot computer to become uncomfortable or afraid.