Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 2024.2.6

I've just come back from a 200 mile drive.

100 miles in, my visualizations all failed, including speed limit, lane lines, also with no autopilot/FSD available and no park assist. All cameras seem to work okay.

I've done a reboot twice, but to no avail.

I realise how much I miss FSD when its not available. I'm hoping its a software fault rather than a hardware issue - I'll try another re-boot tomorrow.
I think the latest firmware causes the AP computer to run hotter. If your cooling system isn’t working efficiently then the computer can overheat and crash. As I mentioned recently, when I reported similar behaviour Tesla sent out a ranger who topped up the coolant and flushed the cooling system to remove any bubbles.

Reactions: JupiterMan
I think the latest firmware causes the AP computer to run hotter. If your cooling system isn’t working efficiently then the computer can overheat and crash. As I mentioned recently, when I reported similar behaviour Tesla sent out a ranger who topped up the coolant and flushed the cooling system to remove any bubbles.

I wonder how that may be dealt with on cars out of warranty that are working fine with current firmware but get broken by an update?

Also noticed that TACC doesn’t work 95% of the time. Might be to do with the fact that there is pretty much zero visualisation on the display anymore. All I can see is my car and no line markings or anything. Frustrating!

On 2024.2.6

100 miles in, my visualizations all failed, including speed limit, lane lines, also with no autopilot/FSD available and no park assist. All cameras seem to work okay.

I realise how much I miss FSD when its not available. I'm hoping its a software fault rather than a hardware issue - I'll try another re-boot tomorrow.
If it's an AP crash, a two button reset will not fix the problem.
What you have to do is let the car go to sleep : no charging, no sentry. A couple hours without checking the app. Then see if it's back when you get back in.
Fixed it for me a while back.

think the latest firmware causes the AP computer to run hotter. If your cooling system isn’t working efficiently then the computer can overheat and crash. As I mentioned recently, when I reported similar behaviour Tesla sent out a ranger who topped up the coolant and flushed the cooling system to remove any bubbles.
my cooling system works fine.

My current M3 is only 5 months old......

I suspect this is a software problem with the current build. I've had a Tesla for 4 years and never had this before. and as posted by others above, if people don't have this issue in California in August, then it really should not be problem in Hertfordshire in February!

Reactions: JIBYC and M1tch
my cooling system works fine.

My current M3 is only 5 months old......

I suspect this is a software problem with the current build. I've had a Tesla for 4 years and never had this before. and as posted by others above, if people don't have this issue in California in August, then it really should not be problem in Hertfordshire in February!
Try running a PC without a CPU heatsink in the dead of winter and see how you get on.

I have no doubt the issues are linked to the latest firmware, however the possibility of the AP computer overheating and causing it to crash is not beyond belief. Tesla certainly spotted the issue easily enough in the logs. My theory is the latest build runs the computer harder and therefore hotter so it’s easier to push it over the edge.

In an earlier post, someone asked what the deal would be for those out of warranty. Now, that’s a very interesting question. If Tesla push a software update to your out of warranty car that causes problems that require a physical fix, who’s responsible for the cost? Personally, I feel it should be Tesla, however I can see them arguing it’s a latent problem with the car that was brought to the surface by the update and therefore not their responsibility…

Reactions: browellm
I'd expect them to revert the change if they did something that actually broke cars.. otherwise they'd likely get sued, especially in the US.
However, they could argue the car was already broken and requiring service, and they’ve just exposed the issue with the software update. I wonder if there’s a precedent for this kind of thing? Apple got into trouble by introducing a software update that throttled devices if their batteries were below a particular level of health. Not exactly the same, but that ended up with Apple paying out in the US.

On 2024.2.6

Only done 50 miles but same here, and I'm pretty sure the speed display font size has shrunk back to what it was a year or so back. No FSD installed on my car.