Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They haven’t removed a paid-for product.

By definition anyone collecting a new Tesla that doesn’t have the hardware installed didn’t pay for it. If you went for service after collecting the car and they removed the sensors or they disabled them on existing cars, then sure you could make that argument, but that isn’t the case.

People paid for cars with advertised features - Park Assist, some for Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon. Those products have been removed, for many after they test drove and ordered a car with them, for some without being informed, for some they were informed but locked into a purchase with finance deal, old car sold, etc.

The pragmatic part is eliminating a point of frequent failure which leads to a poor customer experience and increased service needs when there are multiple redundant alternatives like the three rear facing cameras. Two of which weren’t even available to the user a few years ago and were added for free at no charge as a software update.

Wow! You absolutely must be a politician to be able to spin a situation beyond recognition! :) Do you seriously believe there's a single owner out there thinking 'sure I might be slightly inconvenienced when it comes to parking, but that sure beats having a possible but highly unlikely trip to a service centre for a warranty repair of a defective sensor'! I mean, come on - this has improved the customer experience?? 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57 and CWT3LR
I didn't, but I've sent a bunch of very angry emails to Tesla since accepting mine. In fact they just replied telling me that its tough *sugar* and not to contact them again.
They really need to learn just how bad this is for their customer relations.

If you are happy with your M3 right now, it might be worth cancelling? I came from a 2015 model S I was sick of, so wasn't going to wait longer, plus I ordered a red performance, so it takes ages to get one of those and I didnt want to miss out. If your config is more common, then you may have nothing to lose?
lol why were you sick of your 2015 MS?

People paid for cars with advertised features - Park Assist, some for Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon. Those products have been removed, for many after they test drove and ordered a car with them, for some without being informed, for some they were informed but locked into a purchase with finance deal, old car sold, etc.

Wow! You absolutely must be a politician to be able to spin a situation beyond recognition! :) Do you seriously believe there's a single owner out there thinking 'sure I might be slightly inconvenienced when it comes to parking, but that sure beats having a possible but highly unlikely trip to a service centre for a warranty repair of a defective sensor'! I mean, come on - this has improved the customer experience?? 🤪

This post perfectly sums things up and wins the argument although how there can be an argument is beyond me.

I am software developer (a real one) and although things have now changed to a more iterative and incremental approach you can't just bury your head in the sand and say to clients "tough, it will be ready when it's ready"

They literally didn’t though. If they weren’t paying attention to changes for a £50k purchase, that’s on them.

Yes. I’m literally one of those people.

Before delivery I was curious how hard it’d be with the bigger car and no beeps.

The first week was a little nerve wracking as with any new car and because I had become accustomed to relying parking sensors, so I was being extra careful.

After that I quickly figured out where the edges are and I honestly haven’t thought about it since, other than when people complain on here. I looked at the screen before to see how many inches away from something I was and now I look at the screen for the cameras and can see how far away from something I am. It literally isn’t an issue, there isn’t even a slight inconvenience when parking and I’ll appreciate not having to drive to Dartford and be without my car for a preventable problem.

This post perfectly sums things up and wins the argument although how there can be an argument is beyond me.

I am software developer (a real one) and although things have now changed to a more iterative and incremental approach you can't just bury your head in the sand and say to clients "tough, it will be ready when it's ready"
I am sorry, the whole android development at the beginning was it will be ready when it is ready kind of thing if I remember correctly!

History predicts the future & almost everything with Tesla happens well beyond the 'promised' deadline, if at all. "Coming soon", "for a short period of time", "in the near future" and numerous other meaningless utterances just don't cut it.

If 'unanticipated software delays' are so prevalent then why can't the development team forget all the childish fringe & future dream stuff and concentrate on providing cars that at least manage the basic things that customers expect?
It begins to feel like some on this forum are the same as the folk who predict The Rapture. And when it doesn't happen, it is because we unbelievers have not been worthy enough to experience it.

Reactions: Zilla91
The car does work. It drives. There are zero instances of not being able to park because of a lack of sensors because people have eyes and multiple cameras to assist them.
Given the amount of time and energy you expend on these threads, I'd have thought you'd have twigged by now that (especially on UK salted and/or rural roads at this time of the year) the camera's... especially the really handy rear facing camera on the boot lid...are less use than a chocolate teapot at this time of year?!

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Given the amount of time and energy you expend on these threads, I'd have thought you'd have twigged by now that (especially on UK salted and/or rural roads at this time of the year) the camera's... especially the really handy rear facing camera on the boot lid...are less use than a chocolate teapot at this time of year?!
It's amazing what the power of prayer can do....

You don’t have to like it, but it’s true.

If it is done like that, assuming a variation of Scrum is being followed which you seem to be implying, then it is either being are done wrong or a totally inexperienced team.

The whole thing with a sprint is that it contains units of work that are small enough to estimate to reliably deliver and test and be in a potentially releasable condition within the sprint line frame. It may not be a useful amount of work in its own right, but it will satisfy the definition of done or it will be a failure.

If it’s a bigger piece of work, ie part of an epic, you don’t go promising deliverables (especially to external stakeholders such as owners) of the finished epic until you are significantly far through the sprints to have empirical experience to know blockers and be confident of timeframes.

Tesla fail with this and hence over promise and under deliver which unsurprisingly, pisses off many customers. It is also total stupidity to wilfully disable functionality without being sufficiently through the epic to have a pretty good idea when it will be complete. Sounds like Tesla were at the other end and were just plucking timeframes out of thin air with no idea or experience of what real time frames were likely to be - or they were simply lying.

- PSM hat off

Nah, I quite enjoy winding you up. I particularly enjoy you going through my posts from a week ago and downvoting them 😂

It's almost as if you're obsessed with what I have to say.
Don’t flatter yourself, I just don’t spend all my time on here and so don’t read threads until a week or two after they’re posted, so just been playing catch up. Certainly haven’t had enough time to remember your specific username and go on a downvoting spree.

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
Hasn’t been my experience at all, though I did proactively put a dab of Rain X on the lens of them so maybe it that?

If it is done like that, assuming a variation of Scrum is being followed which you seem to be implying, then it is either being are done wrong or a totally inexperienced team.

The whole thing with a sprint is that it contains units of work that are small enough to estimate to reliably deliver and test and be in a potentially releasable condition within the sprint line frame. It may not be a useful amount of work in its own right, but it will satisfy the definition of done or it will be a failure.

If it’s a bigger piece of work, ie part of an epic, you don’t go promising deliverables (especially to external stakeholders such as owners) of the finished epic until you are significantly far through the sprints to have empirical experience to know blockers and be confident of timeframes.

Tesla fail with this and hence over promise and under deliver which unsurprisingly, pisses off many customers. It is also total stupidity to wilfully disable functionality without being sufficiently through the epic to have a pretty good idea when it will be complete. Sounds like Tesla were at the other end and were just plucking timeframes out of thin air with no idea or experience of what real time frames were likely to be - or they were simply lying.

- PSM hat off
I’m sure it isn’t the engineers promising. It’s much more likely being pushed top down give the Technoking’s habit of over promising. I expect there’s a collective groan through the software org every time he makes another hopium commitment on Twitter or in an interview.

I disagree in part, the engineers are shipping things and they are running in shadow mode and in production on some staff vehicles. But Elon seems to have a habit of using an internal alpha build in his narrow CA/TX highway use cases and making statements that it’s almost ready only to run in to harsh realities later.

Way too many self inflicted wounds in that respect. It helps if you block Elon on Twitter and don’t pay attention to anything he personally says about this kind of thing, but overall I agree with the sentiment of your post.

bloombap, respect your views, why not come to center of London with me and demonstrate your skills, I will happily pay for parking and refreshments. Let me know your availability.
I live in London. I literally park in tiny spaces every day.
I drove in to central on Friday afternoon and squeezed in to a tight space on Snowsfield near London Bridge. On Thursday evening I wiggled my way in to a barely big enough space on Canonbury Road. I squeezed in between two other EVs who’d both parked like arseholes right on the lines at the PodPoint charger in Beckton on Wednesday, squeezed through the stupid angled ticket barrier at Queens Hospital in Romford on Tuesday after navigating two width restrictions on the way there without so much as grazing an alloy and backed in to the shite skinny Westfield spaces on the Monday before that.

I’ll be free tomorrow after the F1.
What space would you like me to demonstrate in?

Reactions: Js1977
Don't refuse the car, just have them throw in a set of bumper buddies! :) :rolleyes:

1677963486987.png

1677963525019.png

I live in London. I literally park in tiny spaces every day.
I drove in to central on Friday afternoon and squeezed in to a tight space on Snowsfield near London Bridge. On Thursday evening I wiggled my way in to a barely big enough space on Canonbury Road. I squeezed in between two other EVs who’d both parked like arseholes right on the lines at the PodPoint charger in Beckton on Wednesday, squeezed through the stupid angled ticket barrier at Queens Hospital in Romford on Tuesday after navigating two width restrictions on the way there without so much as grazing an alloy and backed in to the shite skinny Westfield spaces on the Monday before that.

I’ll be free tomorrow after the F1.
What space would you like me to demonstrate in?
Sadly cant make tomorrow but happy to meet up with you any day next week when your free. Leicester Sq or Covent Gardens would be an ideal place to meet and offers ideal conditions. Very much looking forwards to learn new skills and pick up tips on parking a Tesla. I will keep a look out for your reply for a time and meeting point and maybe exchange contact details.