Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason my car only updated (twice, once straight after the other) this afternoon. Ye Gods the new display is bad. My left hand now obscures the light icons and part of the speed display, which in my view is unacceptable. My understanding is that the speedometer has to be clearly visible at all times, and not be hidden behind the driver's left hand when driving with the hands correctly positioned on the steering wheel (the "ten to two" position).

I'll flag it to Tesla as a defect, as I suspect the car may now be non-compliant with UK regulations.

For some reason my car only updated (twice, once straight after the other) this afternoon. Ye Gods the new display is bad. My left hand now obscures the light icons and part of the speed display, which in my view is unacceptable. My understanding is that the speedometer has to be clearly visible at all times, and not be hidden behind the driver's left hand when driving with the hands correctly positioned on the steering wheel (the "ten to two" position).

I'll flag it to Tesla as a defect, as I suspect the car may now be non-compliant with UK regulations.
Which regulation? My Google search skills are failing me tonight!

Construction and Use regs, I believe. I've built a couple of kit cars plus converted a motorcycle to electric power, and each time had to jump through the hoops when getting them inspected. The bike (converted about 12 years ago) caused consternation, as I'd had to replace the original speedo with a digital one, and there was much debate at the test centre as to whether or not it was fully compliant with the regs (they decided it was, in the end, but failed the bike for having LED indicators . . . ).

Edited to add:

Found it. It is indeed in the Construction and Use regs, this section (my highlight):

36.—(1) Every instrument for indicating speed fitted to a motor vehicle—

(a)in compliance with the requirements of regulation 35(1) or (3); or

(b)to which regulation 35(2)(h) relates and which is not, under the Community Recording Equipment Regulation, required to be equipped with the recording equipment mentioned in that paragraph,

shall be kept free from any obstruction which might prevent its being easily read and shall at all material times be maintained in good working order.

(2) In this regulation “all material times” means all times when the motor vehicle is in use on a road except when—

(a)the vehicle is being used on a journey during which, as a result of a defect, the instrument ceased to be in good working order; or

(b) as a result of a defect, the instrument has ceased to be in good working order and steps have been taken to have the vehicle equipped with all reasonable expedition, by means of repairs or replacement, with an instrument which is in good working order.

Really surprised about that. Surely it would depending on your seating and steering wheel position? For instance I can see the speedo fine. Surely same could also be said for other cars too... If my seating and steering wheel are in a certain position then the steering wheel could potentially block me from seeing the speedo too.

Until the updates this afternoon I could see the speedo fine. Since the updates I can't. I've had the car over a year now, and have the seat and steering wheel in a comfortable position. I fail to see why, after all this time, I should have to adopt a less comfortable driving position simply because Tesla have chosen to degrade the speed and light status display.

I've requested via a service request that my car be rolled back to the previous software version, on the basis that the speed display is now partially obscured (I can only see it when making a left turn or if I move to the left from my normal driving position). The readability of the screen in general is significantly worse, IMHO, and that's just after one drive out to the pub and back last night (to collect a takeaway, so within the rules).

I've requested via a service request that my car be rolled back to the previous software version, on the basis that the speed display is now partially obscured (I can only see it when making a left turn or if I move to the left from my normal driving position). The readability of the screen in general is significantly worse, IMHO, and that's just after one drive out to the pub and back last night (to collect a takeaway, so within the rules).

Please update us - I'd like mine rolled back too

Reactions: Godsense
I don't mind the interface but I've only had the car a few weeks so not really got used to the old one. One thing I have noticed since the update is the car seems to go into 6 hour sleep/online cycles since I've left it parked over the festivities. Is this normal? I didn't see this pre 48.30, but again only had the car a short time. I changed my password so the only thing using it other than the tesla app (also re-installed) is Teslamate.

Not as bad as 6 hours but mine wakes every 14 hours now. As you can see I only drove the car once (purple line) + the car unlock (small blue line second from right)

Nearly 10% is crazy, normally the car would sleep for days. Don't suppose there is much I can do :mad:

upload_2021-1-10_0-22-6.png

In these colder weather conditions, its quite likely that the car is awake for periods of thermal management. I knows ours does this - you can sometimes hear a quiet whine from the front of the car.

TeslaFi have a list of reasons why car may not sleep irrespective of TeslaFi being in use or not. My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi
Following a Full Power Off my car seems to have returned to only losing a few miles a night, might be worth a try.

Not long after I got my car, so some time ago, in response to an issue I was having a Tesla service tech recommended a full reboot (foot on brake and both steering wheel buttons) after every software update install. She also recommended before doing the reboot to unplug anything plugged into the USB ports. It may be placebo or may be helpful, but it is easy and relatively quick to do.

View attachment 626322

Same for me... EDIT: Actually, mine is doing it more frequently, so maybe it is temperature related? It's pretty consistent though, which is a point against it being temperature related.

Similar pattern here. Car sat apart from the 8.1kwh charge. Maximum of 17hrs before drawing circa 2kwh, less than 3hrs last night/this morning and topped itself up with 0.9kwh.

C1B43042-A384-4CC3-B206-B0E211C6CD73.png

View attachment 626322

Same for me... EDIT: Actually, mine is doing it more frequently, so maybe it is temperature related? It's pretty consistent though, which is a point against it being temperature related.

I'm on 48.30 and there's definitely something weird going on, I haven't moved the car for days and there shouldn't be anything waking it:

Here's the last 24 hours (which have been far milder than the previous few days):

2021-01-11 10_04_31-States - Grafana.png

I'm not sure why it's charging either, my current SoC is higher than the charge limit set.

My desk is less than a meter from the car so I can hear the car clunk when it wakes up, there are no services that I'm aware of trying to access the car at that time.

Here's the car state on 48.26, the day before the update to 48.30:

2021-01-11 10_08_47-States - Grafana.png

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense
I'm on 48.30 and there's definitely something weird going on, I haven't moved the car for days and there shouldn't be anything waking it:

Here's the last 24 hours (which have been far milder than the previous few days):

I'm on same 48.30 software version, just checked Teslamate, my car has been sleeping happily whilst car has been sat on my drive for last few days doing nothing... no change for me.