Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 3 - as far as I'm aware remote parking can't work on Teslas because per UNECE it can only be operated with a continuous signal from a dead man's switch.

Kia, Hyundai, etc come with fobs so can do that, but the fobs on Teslas are optional (and Bluetooth I think, not the same kind of signal/technology as normal fobs), so they can't. Tesla don't seem likely to develop proper remote parking for those of us with fobs since it would deviate from their current development focus (i.e. it would be a Europe centric feature).
My old Toyota CHR did great auto parking without a dead man switch. You did have to change gear from FWD to REV when requested by the car though...

Tesla Vision Park Assist finally being rolled out in the US as part of the wider deployment of FSD 11.3.2 this weekend

No information for what it means in Europe / RoW as FSD will not be here for a while.
And also what it means for people who didn't purchase FSD but would still like to park without USS....

Reactions: EV_SteveA
Tesla Vision Park Assist finally being rolled out in the US as part of the wider deployment of FSD 11.3.2 this weekend

No information for what it means in Europe / RoW as FSD will not be here for a while.
And also what it means for people who didn't purchase FSD but would still like to park without USS....
Have you seen it in any videos or (reputable) release notes other than the one Green posted which wasn't from the release note of a car, but found buried somewhere?

So far we've some guy mentioned above who claims its great and the best thing ever but can't show why he thinks that, and Green who typically finds things before they're actually released.

Reactions: manub
Yeah, very keen to see some actual screenshots or video of this in action. Can't say I've personally missed USS myself (and the Wife has never mentioned it either, thankfully! I know that's a whole other discussion we won't get into here - plenty of other threads for that! :) ) but still would like to get my hands on this at some point in the (hopefully) near future!

TeslaFi estimate that 3% of the fleet (or at least the cars they can track) are on 2022.45.11. That's 467 cars presently on this update that TeslaFi records.

Assuming 3% is representative of the entire fleet, then take away the amount with cars with USS e.g. those purchased prior to the past 2 quarters (roughly).

Then how many of those are youtubers, twitter posters, etc. It dwindles the numbers down somewhat.

We shall see.

Tesla News, Latest Software Updates, Tesla Rumors and Tips has it listed as a feature of 2022.45.11 and although they don't always get the model variants and countries of applicability correct initially, in general, they do tend to announce the right features of a release, prior to mainstream adoption.

I find Noteateslapp tend to like to be seen a "breaking news" site but often peak to soon. They're like electrek and the rest who take titbits of info from people like the Green and then position it as here (probably). I got frustrated over the blended braking thing where they said we'd get it, then we wouldn't etc, meantime they've made money out of the advertising revenue. Others like tesla-info report actually seen stuff, or at least now claim they do. The downside on that is there's presumably a lag, but as they're not reporting it, it presumably means they've not seen it in any of the cars they're tracking. I'm not sure where teslascope are, they just seem confused to me in terms of what they're trying to do, but they're not reporting it either when I looked.

But lets say 3% of cars have it, you'd have thought one of those would be a USSless car and if they had any idea how eager the world was to see it, and the parking thing was active then we'd know about it.

The second point of course is if it does exist its on a 2022.45.11 release and we're now all pushing forward with 2023 releases which don't have that stack, but it would be a glimmer of hope.

Others like tesla-info report actually seen stuff, or at least now claim they do.
I've found tesla-info to be way off the mark when it comes to release info. They listed last years Christmas update as 2022.48 which didn't exist, and provided a list of features that didn't make it to the actual update, nor have we heard of them since. Page has since been removed.

I get the point though, these sites need to make money through advertising and views, no one is interested in reading old news online, so there's often speculation.

But lets say 3% of cars have it, you'd have thought one of those would be a USSless car and if they had any idea how eager the world was to see it, and the parking thing was active then we'd know about it.

On this point, I wonder how many buyers have in the last 6 months, bought the car with FSD and opted into the beta and received it given the latest wide "stable" release was often one version ahead of the FSBb version?

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I guess they all make mistakes. I recall they did a "predicted release" which was more like an end of year assessment with the prediction score of certain features, some of which came true (like the cabin camera being remotely accessible) and stuff that hasn't yet (like twitter), I don't recall them being that bad otherwise. I like that you can group up a release block whereas other sites you wade through the same release note time and time again. But then I confess I'm a bit of a fan as their notifications helped me find a car I wouldn't otherwise be in.

You make a good point about later cars may not have been on the beta, especially if the previous software couldn't be offered to those without USS, even if the later release does support it. At some point it will arrive

Reactions: Medved_77
This person claims to be a Tesla employee. Says they cannot post video / photos but then why engaging with the community in the first place…
He says he had to agree not to post pictures or videos, but that there's nothing to prevent him talking about it. Sounds entirely possible, but who knows. As to why engage? Many people (including I) are interested to hear reports as to how well it works, even if he's not allowed to show us pictures. I, at least, appreciate his posts.

He says he had to agree not to post pictures or videos, but that there's nothing to prevent him talking about it.
yeah, right...

I had superb threesome with Mila Kunis and Margot Robbie. I have agreed no to take any pictures or videos and they said they would deny it if asked, however I was allowed to talk about it. so there...

Yes I tested the full autopilot on the test drive and I would not trust it as far as I could throw the car (suspect that for non trunk roads that this is years away!). Might be OK on motorways however in UK the roads, with their worn or poor line markings and the number of potholes it would not avoid, makes removal of anything, or safety feature questionable the adaptive cruise control is also not great and the following vehicles must wonder 'what kind of driver are you?'. My VW and Audi cars all react in a smooth fashion seeing things and slowing the car gradually Tesla just don't seem to have this down yet. The sensors for low speed maneuvering and parking as very useful as you cannot see the trailing edges of the front sides of the car at all. I cannot see how this poses any advantage, other than costs as suggested and their removal from the cars features. When it rains, frosty, or is dark, the regular messages 'multiple cameras disabled' regularly appears on my screen.

All this camera stuff is all well and good in nice sunny dry conditions - but it all goes to crap in British spitty rain weather. I can't count how many times i've had a warning that it can't see out of the left or right pillar cameras - it's dozens of times in the past few weeks anyway.

Yesterday it was wet, misty, spitty rain - when I went to reverse in the dark, I could see next to sod all out of the rear view camera which is exposed - it was a blur.....thankfully the ultrasonic sensors did a good job to make sure I didn't get too close to a car behind me. I could have looked out of the rear windscreen - but oh yeah, I forgot - you can only see half of it in a model 3 and without a windscreen wiper you can see nothing out of the other half when it's raining.

I've had autopilot disengage in the rain a couple of times - I'm presuming because it can't see too well in the pouring rain.

At the rate they are removing sensors and relying on camera tech - it won't be long before the UK ASA forces Tesla to say half their systems, including basic ones like parking sensors, don't work in the rain and for safety reasons the car should only be driven when it's not raining.
Yes the other really annoying factor is that when in cruise mode you cannot turn the wipers off - Why? As there is no low fluid warning I was caught out and ran out of (Skoosher) windscreen fluid. (£60K and no low windscreen washer level warning!) anyway the wipers keep going, you may not want then to keep going, making your vision even worse on every sweep. Don't get me wrong I love the car however it was not considered for all driving conditions or environments. The only thing worse is the SAT NAV routing, next to useless in SW Scotland owing to inability to remove unpaved roads.

Yes the other really annoying factor is that when in cruise mode you cannot turn the wipers off - Why? As there is no low fluid warning I was caught out and ran out of (Skoosher) windscreen fluid. (£60K and no low windscreen washer level warning!) anyway the wipers keep going, you may not want then to keep going, making your vision even worse on every sweep. Don't get me wrong I love the car however it was not considered for all driving conditions or environments. The only thing worse is the SAT NAV routing, next to useless in SW Scotland owing to inability to remove unpaved roads.
I didn't read your user name but knew you were Scottish as soon as I read "skoosher"

Anyway. Is that right? No warning for low skoosher fluid?