Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wifes verdict as somebody who can't be bothered with all the games and flashing lights etc, and who thinks the blind spot warning is now a distraction rather than an aid as you have to look away from checking your blind spot to see what the camera says is.. "it might as well be a different car if I have to learn where all the controls are again each year, so can we just go and buy a different car so i don't have?"

It's a real danger that while it might appeal to those who have signed up to the whole experience, if you just want a car thats reliable, where the controls are easy to find etc, its starting to fail.

My view is its a bit like the iphone when it came out... the big claim of simplicity in the design especially compared to Android phones, now there's a million menus and sub menus to configure it as you want. At least Apple kept the core stuff easy to get to.

Reactions: Elmet
I would like to think - but haven't checked - that the blind spot camera setting is profile specific, so if someone prefers to use the mirrors instead (which is probably prudent anyway because you could end up driving another car that doesn't have this tech) can continue to do so. I turned it on because it's interesting and new, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually use it in anger.

The games and to a lesser extent light show I can take or leave to be honest. I've never played a game in the car and don't plan to, but I also have no kids so *shrug*

I spent 30 mins just sitting testing things out.
i can open “controls menu” or “quick controls” by voice so that’s a help
i can also set my seat heaters by voice without using the screen which now always puts the heating on!
i can bring up USB by voice. That’s a first, but reverting to radio by voice is impossible
i can’t pick a DAB radio station by voice and finding them on screen is now a faff.
there doesn’t appear to be de-selection of sources
the missing + and - on the nav screen is a sad loss
sentry mode mode can be put on or off by voice
whether any of the voice commands will still work when I’m driving is another matter…
Thoughts:
speedo should be larger
infotainment and other commands need improving
otherwise not overly unhappy with the changes but nor am I impressed.
And yes, I STILL WANT A SPEED LIMITER!!!

A day on and I have revised my view from, "OK, but" to "I like it, but not perfect"!
Feel free to disagree!

Many of the changes have been made, it seems to me, to remove redundant information from the screen to minimise distractions whilst driving. For example, the tyre pressure screen: you shouldn't be watching it whilst driving as if there is a small loss of tyre pressure, 3 to 4 psi id pops up, as it always did. A number of comments have been made about the trip information: again it isn't something you need to watch whilst driving, the black/green bar is the best indicator of driving efficiency. The more it is green the few watts are being used. I used to check it every trip, it involved a left swipe and then an up/down swipe to find what you wanted. Now it is all there after 2 clicks, one of which at the bottom right doesn't need looking at to use.

I accept that many here are not happy with so much change, and of course traditional cars don't change in the same way, but as has been said, Ellon has a disruptive business model.

What saddens me is how many people jump to the keyboard to complain when they haven't really spent much time looking to see how the reorganised controls really function. So the light box appears when you pull/push the "dip switch: makes sense to me. The automatic seat heaters appear to work well, both need a little "digging".

With such a major change I do think Tesla should have made a comprehensive "What's new and What's Changed" online guide. The release notes are useless.
Totally disagree, most I think, like me, are not phased by change, even if it's lots of changes, change is part of my working life, it really doesn't phase me at all.

Common functions being removed from the top and bottom bars, and hidden behind menus is dangerous, when you have a UI based 100% on a screen, this is important!

A disruptive business model and a UI that a lot think has regressed and arguably is more dangerous are not related.

I also don't think many on here have jumped to their keyboards to moan, most on here love their cars, and therefore Tesla. I myself have driven 70+ miles and spent 2-3 hours driving with the new UI.

Feel free to disagree.

Apologies if the following have been posted earlier in this thread (or elsewhere on here), but the following seem to me to be the easiest way I can find to replace some of the missing buttons:

Heater seats/Heated screen front and back - tap the < or > to the left or right of the cabin temp (not the temp itself) brings up a mini-screen with the relevant buttons

heaters.jpg

Windsceen wiper mode/speed - press the button on the left stalk

wipers.jpg

Headlight mode and Fog lights front and rear - push/pull the left stalk

lights.jpg

Apologies if the following have been posted earlier in this thread (or elsewhere on here), but the following seem to me to be the easiest way I can find to replace some of the missing buttons:

Heater seats/Heated screen front and back - tap the < or > to the left or right of the cabin temp (not the temp itself) brings up a mini-screen with the relevant buttons

View attachment 748515

View attachment 748521

View attachment 748520
The first one is annoying as you have to adjust the temp to have those quick options. As someone with ocd, I then have to adjust it back. Easier to just go into the main menu.

There’s so much black space on the bottom some stuff should have just been left. It’s like it was designed around the old verticals screens and how many buttons you can have at the bottom.

The wipers I just leave in auto all the time anyway. About once a year I have to manually put to a high setting in a storm etc, but as you mentioned the shortcut works fine.

I've just been for a nice long drive and the rear window heater is a bit of a PITA (and the voice command 'rear window heater on' is recognised but replies 'setting front seat heaters to 3' - and it doesn't do that either.. maybe it's intended to work but broken). It started raining and heat is a decent workaround until Tesla produce a car with rear wipers.. but you need to be able to get at it whilst driving.

On the plus side it turned itself off when it reached temperature, which is half the job done (I've already had a rear window replaced due to the heater cracking it so I'm a bit paranoid about leaving it on too long).

When you navigate to somewhere the car no longer tells you a projected battery %age at the end, only distance and time. So I'm guessing whether to add a charger stop.. that could get quite critical if the projected % is quite low - I don't like to arrive anywhere with under about 15%.

AP braking is improved. In previous releases if it came up to stopped traffic I've been hovering over the brake wondering whether it was really just about to crash into the car in front of it, then it'd brake really late. This was a lot sooner and smoother. Still not human level, but not panic inducing either..

On the subject of voice it somehow seems to be recognising my cheshire accent for the first time ever (even if as above it didn't know what to do anyway).

I have to join the “disappointed club” also.

Apart from live camera view (hate the light flashing when in use) I don’t really find any of the update any better. In many cases it’s much worse.
Like practically everything Tesla it seems - apparently the indicator washing out the camera is less pronounced on later cars, possibly MIC onwards. Have not confirmed this myself, but have read of someone complaining about how blown out the blind spot camera feed is when indicating, and someone else posted a video where it was nowhere near as pronounced.

View attachment 748515

View attachment 748521

View attachment 748520

Great post. its actually all at bit more common sense. People just need to try it for a week, not sit in it for 20 mins and decide.

I've a 600 day coming up. One where I hope I don't miss the 800 mile range of my old e400d.

I type this before reading to the end of the thread:
Fog lights - push headlight stalk forward card appears
Press Drivers temp - Demist switches appears (and seat heater manual controls)
Wipers - press stalk end card appears
Tyre/tire pressure - card will appear if there is a problem, don't fret!

When you navigate to somewhere the car no longer tells you a projected battery %age at the end, only distance and time. So I'm guessing whether to add a charger stop.. that could get quite critical if the projected % is quite low - I don't like to arrive anywhere with under about 15%.
It shows arrival SoC at the end of the nav instruction, just scroll up or use the energy graph. We're going to Germany next year so i planned a route over there and it now shows all arrival SoC at each SuC

Doesn't that turn on or flash the headlights?

I'm not sure that's a particularly good way to bring up the interface if I'm honest. Wiping the windscreen to bring up the wiper controls isn't too bad because most of the time you would want to do that anyway, but I'm not sure that flashing the vehicle in front because I want to turn on my fog lights is the right thing to do.

Maybe it's me, but I feel like tapping the screen where it shows the status of the light would be a more obvious way of bringing up the quick control.

In fact, now I think about it, why can't you just tap the image of the car and have all of the quick controls appear on the left? Lights, wipers, cameras, whatever. You could even give them nice large buttons for use when you're driving.

I think someone already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Tesla don't even seem to have considered the idea that they can display the interface in different ways when the car is stationary or in motion when you really want big controls that you can hit easily on a bumpy road.

Not sure if people know this, but you used to be able to use your voice to “turn on rear defroster”. This heats up your rear screen. Also “defrost my windscreen” turns the windscreen one on max. Hopefully this still works and saves messing with the screen.

My wifes verdict as somebody who can't be bothered with all the games and flashing lights etc, and who thinks the blind spot warning is now a distraction rather than an aid as you have to look away from checking your blind spot to see what the camera says is.. "it might as well be a different car if I have to learn where all the controls are again each year, so can we just go and buy a different car so i don't have?"

It's a real danger that while it might appeal to those who have signed up to the whole experience, if you just want a car thats reliable, where the controls are easy to find etc, its starting to fail.

My view is its a bit like the iphone when it came out... the big claim of simplicity in the design especially compared to Android phones, now there's a million menus and sub menus to configure it as you want. At least Apple kept the core stuff easy to get to.
The last point is very relevant, apple kept the basic interface the same and evolved; this is a clumsy mixed jump where making a mistake on operation is a major safety issue. Yet Tesla claim to focus on safety; I’ve had the car 3 weeks; so although I like the car I feel slightly let down….

I do like the blind spot camera, it's an optional setting for those that don't want it. I personally think the ability for customisation is the right approach, especially with such wide ranging views.

However... At night it's rather funny when it flashes orange with the indicators. I have found that when the camera lens is pristine clean this is far less pronounced than other times, but unfortunately nothing stays pristine for long at this time of the year.

I tried using the light stalk to bring up the quick menu for the lights but it does not really work, I have to flash the headlights or turn on full beam to bring up the menu. I did need fog lights this evening, I went through some very thick fog on the drive home. Unless I'm missing something.

View attachment 748515

View attachment 748521

View attachment 748520

This is utterly barking, really. Each one of these requires a prior action on something in order to bring up the card. What sort of Ui/Ux buffoon would program that? The main beam flash is particularly egregious. Not having a dig at you @Mark-R, thanks for documenting them