Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is what I sent in an email:

To whom it may concern,

I am inquiring into the 75D uncorking. I have a 60D at the moment and understand I need to upgrade for the uncorking but would like to know first if my car is eligible.
5YJSA1E21GF1XXXXX

Also thank you for the service up to this point. It has been impeccable!

And this is the response:

Good morning Joseph,

Unfortunately your vehicle is ineligible for the uncorking. This only applies to 75D vehicles

Ahhhhhhh, good 'ol Tesla communication.:rolleyes: Is it me? So we will go back and forth I guess until I get a decent answer.

Actually, besides felling it there is an easy way, at least on the S. The power meter in the instrument cluster pegs out at the max after uncorking. Before uncorking it would never even come close to the end of the scale (with uncorking power is beyond the scale but the meter can't show it).

Which power meter are you referring to? The one with the squiggly, moving orange line within the instrument binnacle? What’s the end of the scale because I’m sheepishly admitting, I’ve never noticed what the end is. Thanks.

Which power meter are you referring to? The one with the squiggly, moving orange line within the instrument binnacle? What’s the end of the scale because I’m sheepishly admitting, I’ve never noticed what the end is. Thanks.

200kw. But that's just the last number. The curve itself goes (and always has) well past 200kw but now it will go the end line of the curve and stay there as you accelerate. Its a noticeable difference in oomph, especially at the low speeds (but also highway passing).

So this is what I sent in an email:

To whom it may concern,

I am inquiring into the 75D uncorking. I have a 60D at the moment and understand I need to upgrade for the uncorking but would like to know first if my car is eligible.
5YJSA1E21GF1XXXXX

Also thank you for the service up to this point. It has been impeccable!

And this is the response:

Good morning Joseph,

Unfortunately your vehicle is ineligible for the uncorking. This only applies to 75D vehicles

Ahhhhhhh, good 'ol Tesla communication.:rolleyes: Is it me? So we will go back and forth I guess until I get a decent answer.

Yup, your are right. I finally asked point blank if I will be eligible if I upgraded to 75D and they finally replied that I would be immediately upon upgrading. Uncorked yesterday! :cool:

A few experiences with my recently uncorked 75D:

* The effect on range during a long drive (~100 miles) mostly under autopilot - AP1 in my case - is insignificant. I do this drive on a regular basis and the utilization of rated range was within the ballpark of what I expect, despite this week being colder than in a while. This was a big deal to me; I didn't want to lose range due to this update. I don't have 2017.44 and am not using Chill mode.

* Out of a signal controlled on ramp, I stepped on it. Earlier the car pulled strongly. Now it doesn't just pull strongly - it takes some degree of effort to get your back off the seatback, as the car is pulling from 0 to ~50mph . This is definitely not a change you have to be tuned into to feel. Step on it and you can feel 'wow, it didn't pull this hard before' even if your mind's elsewhere.

The real time circular one on you can put on the the instrument cluster (it has a graph in the middle, but I was talking about the orange line moving counter-clockwise around the circle to indicate the currently consumed power).

Same Tesla boat here but yesterday I took the plunge. :) Upgraded to 75 and have an appointment for the performance upgrade and E brake recall. I had spoken to Tech support who was very accommodating looking "several different ways" to see if I would be eligible. He said computer only looked at my car as a 60D and of course that came back negative. He did say most if not all made after June 2016 should be eligible. So refresh is good?
I was on the phone maybe 30 minutes with him.

Then called service who said "we don't make appts specifically for the upgrade" Luckily for me I have a brake recall :) and "we don't do badging"
Meanwhile when you upgrade on the website the thank note says "make an appt. to re-badge" Hey I love Tesla but this communication problem they have can balloon out of control with 1 million cars on the road.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Then called service who said "we don't make appts specifically for the upgrade" Luckily for me I have a brake recall :) and "we don't do badging"
Meanwhile when you upgrade on the website the thank note says "make an appt. to re-badge" Hey I love Tesla but this communication problem they have can balloon out of control with 1 million cars on the road.

I think you need to have a talk with your service center, because I'm pretty sure they do make appointments specifically for the upgrade, and they CERTAINLY do for the badge! Congrats on your new range and upcoming performance boost.

my SC said it’s a 5 minute job to see if your car is uncorkable.

And my SC said only way to know is to call Tesla tech support. :rolleyes: I was at the service center getting a supercharge and 3 employees got together to say "I don't know" :)

You would think it's just a VIN entry and boom! Yes or no!
I really should not complain because it's a FREE! performance upgrade. I think I will check my ego at the door :D and not complain once more :)
Thank you Tesla for making my car better than the day it was new

Wow so your visit was worthwhile... did they give you any detail on what they were looking for to differentiate between the previous response of no, and now being uncorked? (I'll be emailing the SC right now ;) )

My previous “no” replies were all due, IMO, to the VIN list simply not being accurate. There have been plenty of cars in the US uncorked that were initially rejected. They run a diagnostic test, which looks like this:

the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, in CarLogs.

If the car passes this diagnostic then it can be uncorked. This morning I went to the SC by appointment,and they ran the diagnostic test and then went on to do the performance upgrade, which is software only.

I also subscribed to TefaFi as one way to check the uncork has worked is in the raw data which you can pull from the app - P3 in performance config means corked. P1 means uncorked. Before I even got back in the car I checked TeslaFi and sure enough P1. Then I went for a drive :D:D