Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I missing - EV pushback in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across a reddit post on r/Australia today discussing ICE SUVs swamping EV sales. A lot of commenters are saying how they won't buy an EV for a myriad of reasons including purchase price, practicality, towing ability, range and charging.
I tried debunking these with reasonable arguments, but for example some people are hellbent on comparing a new Model 3 to a second hand Mazda 3 for some reason.

What am I missing here? Why is there a huge backlash against EVs in Australia?

Reddit post in question:
Mods, please remove if this post is not appropriate for this forum.

Came across a reddit post on r/Australia today discussing ICE SUVs swamping EV sales. A lot of commenters are saying how they won't buy an EV for a myriad of reasons including purchase price, practicality, towing ability, range and charging.
I tried debunking these with reasonable arguments, but for example some people are hellbent on comparing a new Model 3 to a second hand Mazda 3 for some reason.

Reddit post in question:
No huge backlash - just pockets of them and you found one.

They don't understand it and they feel like they're being forced into it and any excuse is a good excuse to them. Because, quite frankly they're dumb and broke and can't afford it. I hear the limited range, slow charging, and weak towing as complaints all the time. Mostly from people who never tow anything, never leave their dumpy home town, and live in a house they can do fast charging at. But they're also living paycheck to paycheck and the thought of a $40k new car is inconceivable. They've likely never spent more than $10k on a car.

My sister-in-law recently changed from driving a Mercedes SUV to a Tesla model 3. She said she wasn't prepared for how awesome the experience was going to be. She thought some things might be novel, but it's been revolutionary. Charging at home, massive acceleration, all the automated features and remote controls... She uses it all every day and loves it.

Was listening to talkback radio this morning, and a caller said no one should buy an EV, because she tows a horse float everyday and drives 3000km a week with only 3 fast chargers on her remote rural route and so it doesn't suit her needs. The talkback host was in vigorous agreement with her... and this was meant to be ABC radio 😒

Basically don't bother trying to convert the rabidly ignorant masses who fear what they don't understand. Honestly, I was a little against EVs as a massive petrolhead for the last 20 years, now I can't wait for my model 3 to arrive.... someday

Reddit post in question:

why is there a backlash?
world wide a potential $2 billion per day reduction in revenue from liquid fuel.
An average reduction in revenue to dealerships of 65% due to less servicing and repair.
A reduction in new car sales to manufactures and dealerships due to an Electric Vehicles longer average lifespan.
A reduction in manhood due to 400k European Sport Car getting whipped by a 100k Soccer mums electric SUV.
And then we move on to the sheeple who think EVs are a Green conspiracy to change the world order because Sky News told them so!

why is there a backlash?
world wide a potential $2 billion per day reduction in revenue from liquid fuel.
An average reduction in revenue to dealerships of 65% due to less servicing and repair.
A reduction in new car sales to manufactures and dealerships due to an Electric Vehicles longer average lifespan.
A reduction in manhood due to 400k European Sport Car getting whipped by a 100k Soccer mums electric SUV.
And then we move on to the sheeple who think EVs are a Green conspiracy to change the world order because Sky News told them so!
100% .... great post!

Occasionally I wade into the lions’ den that is drive.com.au and rebut the ridiculous assertions of anti-EV posters there on the growing number of EV articles. There’s a few that tag-team, mocking EVs, and they have a jolly good time in what they think is a friendly bubble of like-minded petrol-heads, and then I come along and prick it with some facts and oh boy - they really do not like it. I upset their world view. You gotta have a thick skin (which I do) and have persistence in sticking to the facts and resisting the temptation to play the man.

What I’ve noticed is that eventually some of your arguments are picked up by others who then post in other articles about EVs. So it does have an effect. But you can burn a heck of a lot of time doing it and many would question why bother.

Back in 2012, when I ordered my car, any conversation about EVs was overwhelmed by the bro‘s who need their car to make noise, have a 200Km daily commute or need to tow a horse float and EVs were worse for the environment anyway as they run on coal.
I spent a lot of time calmly rebutting the arguments but it really felt like one voice amongst the throng. More recently I am seeing others answering and rebutting all the anti-EV FUD so things are improving but you will still find nests of ant-EV cliques in certain parts of the internet.

Occasionally I wade into the lions’ den that is drive.com.au and rebut the ridiculous assertions of anti-EV posters there on the growing number of EV articles. There’s a few that tag-team, mocking EVs, and they have a jolly good time in what they think is a friendly bubble of like-minded petrol-heads, and then I come along and prick it with some facts and oh boy - they really do not like it. I upset their world view. You gotta have a thick skin (which I do) and have persistence in sticking to the facts and resisting the temptation to play the man.

What I’ve noticed is that eventually some of your arguments are picked up by others who then post in other articles about EVs. So it does have an effect. But you can burn a heck of a lot of time doing it and many would question why bother.
They are nearly all bored boomers who have a lot of time on their hands - who else reads the old fashioned media such as them?

Nearly all the doubters I have come across are 50+ years old, and very set in their ways .. Not all obviously, but that is a large group

There are a myriad of reasons why people don't buy an Electric Vehicle. The more people (even in this thread) try to categorise "those people" the more like them we are in our offensive defence. The truth is there is a car out there for everybody's needs more or less. With time, more EVs will become more affordable and different EV builds and models will suit more and more people. Only when it's a balanced choice can you get a balanced debate. Until then it's outliers arguing with outliers. The one thing I am personally sure of, sunlight and wind won't run out any time soon, but fossil fuels will. Anyone that opposes EVs now will someday have no choice but to get one...it's only a matter of time and I can wait. No problem.

Reactions: vonklarp and Benzz
Anyone that opposes EVs now will someday have no choice but to get one...it's only a matter of time and I can wait. No problem.
That would be nice, but collectively we can't afford to wait for everyone to become enlightened - there's significant flow on effects on having transport electrified that we need. And that's not just for the overall climate change problem. Each naysayer slows the overall adoption, plus slows down getting in place important infrastructure or policies. It perpetuates the current mess we're in and the misdirected funds going to fossil fuels.

The myths need to be dispelled and those wilfully spreading misinformation to be called out.

I just checked out that thread, most of the dumb comments get downvoted as they should. Most of the positive ones get upvoted, not sure why but yours aren't. Probably some troll who went through and happened to see your comments before the others.

I do the same thing, and you do need a thick skin. Perhaps we should tag-team them…
If you like this sort of interaction, you should try commenting on an AFR post. Hooboy, do they pile onto you then!
I am a boomer, and have been a petrol head my whole life, but once I drove a Tesla Model S back in 2016 just to see what the fuss was about, it all changed. I arranged a weekend loaner so the wife could experience it, however it wasn’t till late last year I was in a position to buy one.
I talked a fellow petrol head/tech head into a test drive, and he order one on the spot.
The change is coming.