Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I dislike about the new Park Assist is that, although you can rotate the image around to see the 3D structure around the car, as soon as the car starts moving, the display goes back to the birds-eye view. I can see times when having a different perspective would be useful.

So, the 3D views are just eye candy because they are not usable when moving.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I’m not really sure why they wouldn’t just implement this with vision?
Probably just a matter of accuracy. It wouldn't be good if the USS shows something at 12" while the vision based visualization shows something further away. They did say that this is 1.0, so maybe USS cars will get it with 2.0, or maybe 3.0, as it gets more accurate. (I still wish they would give use the option to switch between the two.)

I'm guessing it's because USS/vision can currently disagree, similar to radar/vision. Might be situational as to which is more accurate which might be hard for a driver to react to if not looking out the window.
I’m just thinking, if they are SOO confident in Vision for this, why not just situationally NOT take the USS into the stream context for the 3D parking assist/view/sky view, if all vision is the same

Did someone post a video of themselves doing a friggin terrible parking job?
Yes. That is what happened. For the clicks I suppose?
I assumed the video was to illustrate the current state of Park Assist
Maybe. The driver appeared to be too distracted by the Park Assist to be able to park properly.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
No High Fidelity Park Assist for vehicles with USS. But you get all of the other holiday updates that apply to your vehicle.

I'm assuming because at this time USS is more accurate than the new visualizations, though I think a mix would be great, as USS can't see low objects like curbs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FSD Beta people were switched to vision park assist. The difference is that the old USS park assist required cars be on both sides of the empty spot. Once vision took over, you can park in any spot, even in an empty lot, since it uses cameras to park instead of USS. Has been this way for over a year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FSD Beta people were switched to vision park assist. The difference is that the old USS park assist required cars be on both sides of the empty spot. Once vision took over, you can park in any spot, even in an empty lot, since it uses cameras to park instead of USS. Has been this way for over a year.
You are mixing up features. You are talking about Autopark not Park Assist:
  • Park Assist: USS or Tesla Vision, depending on which hardware you have, based visualizations displayed to help the driver manually park the vehicle. (Available on all vehicles regardless of EAP/FSD purchase.)
  • Autopark: EAP/FSD purchased feature to let the vehicle park itself in some situations. Originally only USS based and vehicles required on either side. FSDb is now Tesla Vision based and can park between lines without other vehicles being present.
    • I assume that USS are still used to prevent hitting things, which is why Autopark isn't currently available on vehicles without USS.

Last edited:
So "Park Assist" is a "driver assist" feature in the same category as blind spot alerts, not lane keeping or auto steering.

When they add HFPA to USS cars, they could just overlay the USS visualization lines on the HFPA cloud. The driver can do the sensor fusion very well and account for different surroundings.

Reactions: ArchHamster
Tested my non-FSD MY this afternoon to explore cabin camera on AP. From my tests, I believe that the car is not using the cabin camera at all. I can block the camera with the sun visor or my thumb and AP continues merrily along without a peep. With the camera unblocked, I can stare at my display for long periods (kids, don't try this at home) with no "Pay attention to the road" nags.

Perhaps the camera is only being used on cars with FSDb regardless of which driving assist feature is enabled? Perhaps I'll test that on my FSD-equipped M3 sometime.

I also noticed that AP cannot be engaged on a residential street. Perhaps this has always been the case. My streets have no marked centerlines and the AP wheel icon does not appear until I get to a street with a painted lines. Since I would never use AP on these streets, I don't know if this is a new behavior.

Tested my non-FSD MY this afternoon to explore cabin camera on AP. From my tests, I believe that the car is not using the cabin camera at all. I can block the camera with the sun visor or my thumb and AP continues merrily along without a peep. With the camera unblocked, I can stare at my display for long periods (kids, don't try this at home) with no "Pay attention to the road" nags.

Perhaps the camera is only being used on cars with FSDb regardless of which driving assist feature is enabled? Perhaps I'll test that on my FSD-equipped M3 sometime.

I also noticed that AP cannot be engaged on a residential street. Perhaps this has always been the case. My streets have no marked centerlines and the AP wheel icon does not appear until I get to a street with a painted lines. Since I would never use AP on these streets, I don't know if this is a new behavior.
AP has always required painted lines on the road.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I just got 2023.44.30.2 but I haven't seen any of the new map icons show up (traffic light, stop sign, speed camera, etc). I meet all the requirements per the release notes... Online routing is on, premium connectivity is active.

Also the "lock confirmation" toybox is kind of weird/buggy. If you have "lock confirmation" disabled, it still allows you to choose a different sound in the Toybox app, but it doesn't actually do anything. And then if you enable "Lock confirmation" later, it resets the chosen sound back to the horn again. So you need to make sure "Lock confirmation" is enabled FIRST, and then go to Toybox or it will pave over the setting.

• Informative
Reactions: ArchHamster
I just got 2023.44.30.2 but I haven't seen any of the new map icons show up (traffic light, stop sign, speed camera, etc). I meet all the requirements per the release notes... Online routing is on, premium connectivity is active.
Give it some time. It took some hours from the time I installed before the icons started appearing. Seems like there's a stealth download required.

Reactions: eli_
I’m just thinking, if they are SOO confident in Vision for this, why not just situationally NOT take the USS into the stream context for the 3D parking assist/view/sky view, if all vision is the same
Well, because they are not so confident at this point. And it's no secret; Ashok is quoted (via notateslaapp, I think from his X posts):
“This is the v1 release of this technology, and will have follow up releases that have even better geometric consistency with the cameras, better persistence of occluded obstacles, etc.”​

Now, I'm personally less convinced that later versions will become as good as we all wish. Not because vision couldn't do it in principle with the increasingly sophisticated local world modeling, but because of the simple and long-standing limitations of the existing camera viewpoints.

Although I don't yet have the latest 3D visualizations to compare, I find that the existing pseudo-top-down 2D view is reasonably correct when I'm backing in to my charging space at night next to a couple of my other cars. I think it visualizes the position of the adjacent car pretty well but not really the block walls and gate that I'm angling towards.

I think there's a good chance that the wall & gate, and trash cans, will be reasonably well modeled for the reverse parking situation, because there are cameras that can actually see most of what's going on to the rear. I expect them to be less well rendered if I drive in forward with only the windshield cameras to draw from.

Yes it will get better, but though I try to have an open mind, I'm not dropping my opinion that they should have placed the cameras better - back in 2016 if not earlier.

Last edited: