Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question - Is the assignment of a VIN based on accepting the terms of the Tesla financing option? I haven't yet accepted the terms so that I can shop around for financing after getting the VIN and then rate match with Tesla. Any advice from someone in the same situation?

Finally got my VIN assigned. MYLR. Profile complete : 06/03, VIN assigned : 09/21 Delivery window shows : 09/21-09/30. Hoping to receive a call from Tesla to schedule my delivery (payment made online). Two questions for the Tesla Pros.

1. I am getting a decent quote through Wawanesa. I have shopped around with Costco, Progressive, Liberty, Farmers etc.. and nothing seem to beat these guys. Any experience with this company.. ?
2. The final checklist for delivery is this still the latest

teslaprep/model_y_checklist.md at 180f89f2e43661fc13730fb3cdd8a4e632bbaff3 · mykeln/teslaprep

Thanks and good luck for all those who are still waiting (including myself. I still don't have delivery scheduled).

Quick question - Is the assignment of a VIN based on accepting the terms of the Tesla financing option? I haven't yet accepted the terms so that I can shop around for financing after getting the VIN and then rate match with Tesla. Any advice from someone in the same situation?

VIN assignment is based on completed order profile (i.e. submitted proof of insurance, payment method you plan to use (best to specify cash and change it after you get a VIN), and whether or not you have a trade-in).
Just to clarify: insurance is not needed for profile completion. If this is your first car ever, you won’t have proof of insurance anyway.

Reactions: framed and seeb
Hopefully this is the "Great Narrowing" everyone has been talking about and you get your VIN this week!
I think for me, the difficult part about this is that my original EDD was 6/15-6/30. It then kept getting consistently bumped out month by month and now here I am in September with no car and no VIN still. If I’d been told from the get-go to manage my expectations I don’t think I’d be as frustrated now. I never imagined I’d still be waiting for a car at this point. Seems like folks who ordered a few weeks after me were given more realistic EDD ranges and although those were pretty far in the future at the time, at least they knew right away what to expect. This last leg of the journey is definitely the hardest! Fingers crossed for all of us VINless! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

For those getting VINs as part of the EOQ push, you'll want to check the VIN number before you accept the vehicle. The latest seems to be 273xxx. If it is significantly less, it might be a rejected car that was then reworked. Likewise, the manufacture date is printed on the label on the B pillar (driver's side door). Since Fremont seems to now be making roughly 1,000 MY per day, recent numbers would be 268xxx and above -- depending on if you are in NorCal or SoCal, and if you are scheduled at a busy DC or a deserted one (like me).

Numerous people have also reported demo cars being closed out (i.e. Tesla stores are now empty of demo cars). So these cars probably have a beginning-of-quarter date (July) and old VIN. However, since they have mileage, they appear in the Inventory web page. But your SA, whom you've never heard from before, might contact you and say, "hey, there is this car available. Will you take it right now?". So please be watchful of the VIN number.

Tesla hasn't updated their VIN "secret decoder ring" yet with NHTSA, so it appears that "2021" models might continue until December and VIN numbers will continue increasing well beyond 273xxx. I'm a little surprised by this because Tesla needs to add Austin to their VIN decoder soon.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31
EDD: January
DC: Stockton

I think for me, the difficult part about this is that my original EDD was 6/15-6/30. It then kept getting consistently bumped out month by month and now here I am in September with no car and no VIN still. If I’d been told from the get-go to manage my expectations I don’t think I’d be as frustrated now. I never imagined I’d still be waiting for a car at this point. Seems like folks who ordered a few weeks after me were given more realistic EDD ranges and although those were pretty far in the future at the time, at least they knew right away what to expect. This last leg of the journey is definitely the hardest! Fingers crossed for all of us VINless! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

The speculation is that white seats are in short supply. My EDD has moved from "November", to "December", and now to "January". Other than the exterior color, my car is the same as yours. My profile was completed 2 months after yours.

I hope that you get your car as part of this EOQ push.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31

For those getting VINs as part of the EOQ push, you'll want to check the VIN number before you accept the vehicle. The latest seems to be 273xxx. If it is significantly less, it might be a rejected car that was then reworked. Likewise, the manufacture date is printed on the label on the B pillar (driver's side door). Since Fremont seems to now be making roughly 1,000 MY per day, recent numbers would be 268xxx and above -- depending on if you are in NorCal or SoCal, and if you are scheduled at a busy DC or a deserted one (like me).

Numerous people have also reported demo cars being closed out (i.e. Tesla stores are now empty of demo cars). So these cars probably have a beginning-of-quarter date (July) and old VIN. However, since they have mileage, they appear in the Inventory web page. But your SA, whom you've never heard from before, might contact you and say, "hey, there is this car available. Will you take it right now?". So please be watchful of the VIN number.

Tesla hasn't updated their VIN "secret decoder ring" yet with NHTSA, so it appears that "2021" models might continue until December and VIN numbers will continue increasing well beyond 273xxx. I'm a little surprised by this because Tesla needs to add Austin to their VIN decoder soon.

--

This all makes sense and thank you for pointing this out. I guess the question is, if you discover at delivery that you’ve been given an “older” and possibly reworked product, what is the alternative? Reject delivery and then what, get back in line for who knows how long? I’m not sure what I would do in that situation. I don’t think I could bear to wait another 4-5 months to get a different car. 😩 At what point does Tesla’s obligation to deliver you a car end and your own preferences about the possible condition of the vehicle begin?

The speculation is that white seats are in short supply. My EDD has moved from "November", to "December", and now to "January". Other than the exterior color, my car is the same as yours. My profile was completed 2 months after yours.

I hope that you get your car as part of this EOQ push.

--

Thank you! I appreciate the people rooting for me and I’ll take the good vibes! 😎 That is interesting about the white interior. It doesn’t make sense to me as the material is the same as the black interior. Must be some component specific to the white option or else they’re just choosing to push black interiors right now instead of white. Glad I’m paying extra for them just to be pushed to the back of the line lol. I keep telling myself every time I see white on white how sharp it looks though and that helps. 😂 Your red/white combo sounds 😍

This all makes sense and thank you for pointing this out. I guess the question is, if you discover at delivery that you’ve been given an “older” and possibly reworked product, what is the alternative? Reject delivery and then what, get back in line for who knows how long? I’m not sure what I would do in that situation. I don’t think I could bear to wait another 4-5 months to get a different car. 😩 At what point does Tesla’s obligation to deliver you a car end and your own preferences about the possible condition of the vehicle begin?

That's unclear to me. I haven't seen too many people here in this thread reject a car. What we've seen more of are people assigned a VIN, then it gets pulled back and they get a different VIN. So I'm guessing that the Tesla inspection process caught a problem with that VIN. And they would catch any gross rejectable problems before the customer saw it.

But do take the time in the daylight to inspect the vehicle. It is a $60k vehicle so it should be without flaw. There is still the 100 mile limit for minor things (scratches, dents, misalignments, etc). And anything non-cosmetic is certainly covered under warranty. For me, since my home is far from my DC, I'll be doing an inspection in the parking lot before I drive away (for me round-trip is greater than 100 miles). And I'll take photos of the problem right then with zero added miles and forward the photos via the reporting tool (in the Tesla App somewhere?)

I will accept my car if I don't see anything major or missing. But I'll certainly send photos and the odometer there in the lot before I drive away. My DC is also a Service Center, so things might be fixed instantly... And I'll schedule pickup in the morning, not at 10pm at night.

Scott

PS There are several delivery check lists. SAMRAM posted this link to a check list; seems like a reasonable one to do quickly while standing in a parking lot:
https://github.com/mykeln/teslaprep...13730fb3cdd8a4e632bbaff3/model_y_checklist.md

And this one was mentioned several pages ago is a little more extensive:
https://github.com/polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist/blob/master/README.md#exterior

--

Last edited:
VIN assignment is based on completed order profile (i.e. submitted proof of insurance, payment method you plan to use (best to specify cash and change it after you get a VIN), and whether or not you have a trade-in).

Just to clarify: insurance is not needed for profile completion. If this is your first car ever, you won’t have proof of insurance anyway.

Thanks @johnc925 and @ZGGBMG. I switched my payment method to 'Cash' and planning to change it once a VIN is assigned. I'm guessing this means that the initial contract will be generated with 'Cash' as the method and once the payment method is changed, a new contract will be regenerated. Is that correct?