Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y in China already comes with 390+ miles WLTP not EPA but close). Besides, when Tesla increased model S range from 250ish to 350ish, there was no competition around, yet they did it. We both know this is all speculation on both of our ends. We don’t know what they are actually planning but my point is just because there is no competition in 320 miles range doesn’t mean they won’t increase range to 390 miles. You’re trying to rationalize Tesla’s next move but in reality they do many irrational things.

I will likely take delivery after the BBB bill vote in senate in early January (wouldn’t want to lose on a potential new EV tax credit). However, I am pretty sure we will see MY range increase this year similar to the China models.
MIC build isn't Fremont build.
Shanghai uses Chinese suppliers, Fremont is a mix, and costs are continents apart, ie different.
Chinese/Asian market isn't the North American market. Note too that the MY sold to Europe from China uses LFP batteries.

Don't you want LFP batteries? You might get them !!! It's happening !!! :)

So it's Apples and Oranges, and rationalizing to support whatever position is still just that - rationalizing.

None of us knows. Tesla isn't telling until they're good and ready to.
Tesla is very tight with information. Nothing gets out unless they want it to.
And they know full well that the blog speculation endemic here plays in their favor, as it keeps the dreams alive.

I got my VIN# today. It seems they don't deliver to my home and I need to go pick it up.
I live in Riverside County but anyhow I was assigned to an Orange County location to pick up.

MYLR Red/Black with 5 seats, 20" Wheel, No Tow, No FSD, OD: 10/20/21, Profile completed on 10/21/21, EDD: 12/21-12/30/21
I’m picking up in Buena Park. Let me know if you see any MSMs on the lot. Maybe one will be mine 🤩

Reactions: 98dancoh
Model Y in China already comes with 390+ miles WLTP not EPA but close). Besides, when Tesla increased model S range from 250ish to 350ish, there was no competition around, yet they did it. We both know this is all speculation on both of our ends. We don’t know what they are actually planning but my point is just because there is no competition in 320 miles range doesn’t mean they won’t increase range to 390 miles. You’re trying to rationalize Tesla’s next move but in reality they do many irrational things.

I will likely take delivery after the BBB bill vote in senate in early January (wouldn’t want to lose on a potential new EV tax credit). However, I am pretty sure we will see MY range increase this year similar to the China models.
You’re really zebelkhan 😉.

I just got a text stating that a VIN has been assigned. There is a button "Accept and Proceed with Delivery" which I did not click.
I can't get a definitive answer as to how many days I have before the VIN gets reassigned - I read a lot of posts on this topic and the answer varies.

Is there a way to determine whether or not MCU3 (AMD Ryzen) are shipped with the latest VIN assignments?
Thanks

I just got a text stating that a VIN has been assigned. There is a button "Accept and Proceed with Delivery" which I did not click.
I can't get a definitive answer as to how many days I have before the VIN gets reassigned - I read a lot of posts on this topic and the answer varies.

Is there a way to determine whether or not MCU3 (AMD Ryzen) are shipped with the latest VIN assignments?
Thanks
I wish there was a way to check by VIN but I imagine there is not. I released my VIN to wait for a later build.

My point was not regarding other companies competing range wise but competition with Tesla. They have shown they don’t want lower price cars to compete with higher price ones so if you want 400 miles, here is a model S. If 350 is fine, here is a model 3.

Those Chinese ranges are with the exact same battery specs we have. 2170. They aren’t producing any cars worldwide with 4680 so they aren’t just going to drop them into a car and sell for the same price. If anything, they will do what they did with LFP, lower range and they will ask people if they are willing to take delivery at the same price for slightly lower range but instant delivery. They WILL NOT deliver 400+ mile range 4680 MY to people with current reservations at the same price. They are a publicly traded company and that would be irresponsible to investors to not get a return on their huge investment into this new battery tech. They will charge for it. You may have the option of going to the front of the line for $7k more to get the extra 70 miles of range but it won’t be free. And thats if it doesn’t go into CT or Semi first until they have mass production down before it trickles into MY. I also think it would go into MS/X first since those are much higher margin and still on much older battery tech (18650). The benefits there of higher range and lower weight on performance and handling along with lower volume production makes much more sense for rolling out new battery tech. I put the 4680 batteries in MY Elon quote right there with the CT in 2020/2021/2022 and Roadster 2 in 2020/2021/2022/2023 in terms of reliability and whether it happens or not.

By waiting til now, you get a new tech 12v battery and new MCU so I am good with those.

Unless something happens with Manchin, BBB is likely dead. Or will have tons of things stripped from it. Not holding out much hope for EV tax credit at this point. Maybe in a couple years when more manufacturers have hit their cap but the disparity between Tesla and everyone else will be greater with a new Tesla rebate and people have shown that they don’t care about the discount.

My point was not regarding other companies competing range wise but competition with Tesla. They have shown they don’t want lower price cars to compete with higher price ones so if you want 400 miles, here is a model S. If 350 is fine, here is a model 3.

Those Chinese ranges are with the exact same battery specs we have. 2170. They aren’t producing any cars worldwide with 4680 so they aren’t just going to drop them into a car and sell for the same price. If anything, they will do what they did with LFP, lower range and they will ask people if they are willing to take delivery at the same price for slightly lower range but instant delivery. They WILL NOT deliver 400+ mile range 4680 MY to people with current reservations at the same price. They are a publicly traded company and that would be irresponsible to investors to not get a return on their huge investment into this new battery tech. They will charge for it. You may have the option of going to the front of the line for $7k more to get the extra 70 miles of range but it won’t be free. And thats if it doesn’t go into CT or Semi first until they have mass production down before it trickles into MY. I also think it would go into MS/X first since those are much higher margin and still on much older battery tech (18650). The benefits there of higher range and lower weight on performance and handling along with lower volume production makes much more sense for rolling out new battery tech. I put the 4680 batteries in MY Elon quote right there with the CT in 2020/2021/2022 and Roadster 2 in 2020/2021/2022/2023 in terms of reliability and whether it happens or not.

By waiting til now, you get a new tech 12v battery and new MCU so I am good with those.

Unless something happens with Manchin, BBB is likely dead. Or will have tons of things stripped from it. Not holding out much hope for EV tax credit at this point. Maybe in a couple years when more manufacturers have hit their cap but the disparity between Tesla and everyone else will be greater with a new Tesla rebate and people have shown that they don’t care about the discount.

Time will show. Musk himself has said 4680 batteries will first be used in MY (not MS/MX). They have already made the new single cast design in Austin. Probably being tested as we speak. They also said production should begin in January. They may charge higher for new reservations but if one holds their order long enough, they may be able to take a 4680 delivery in 2022. Tesla and Musk are unpredictable. I am not saying you guys are wrong in your analysis but with everything they have said and MIC MY having 390+ miles range, I have a hard time believing a longer range MY will not be out this year. The good news to me is that used Teslas are being sold at a very high price so worst comes to worst one can sell and buy the 4680 MY in a year. I am personally tired of all Tesla shenanigans. If Fisker Ocean was out, I would have just bought that.

Couple of photos from the pickup. I’m planning a pretty long post about the whole process, but need a laptop for all that typing and I’m too busy selling my old car and installing accessories. 🙂
D9E4261C-9CBD-488B-B527-095C9FED03DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 34B11950-1CF8-4D6B-9057-3726F00353C9.jpeg
    34B11950-1CF8-4D6B-9057-3726F00353C9.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 35
Couple of photos from the pickup. I’m planning a pretty long post about the whole process, but need a laptop for all that typing and I’m too busy selling my old car and installing accessories. 🙂View attachment 749637
Wow she’s a beauty congrats!
I have my delivery tomorrow at the SC. Quick question to anyone regarding cash payment: some pages ago someone had some issues at delivery and said don’t pay until you see your car. If paying cash, what would be most advantageous; cashiers check or wire transfer? Any feedback greatly appreciated.