Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW and just to add more information to the conversation. I just heard from my original SA after several weeks of silence (he was assinged to me when I first inquired - he sucked and didnt return multiple emails asking for a test drive, so I switched logins and got a new SA who set up 2 test drives immediately) to tell me (paraphrasing):

"Hey if you are still interested in a 3 or Y, you only have a few days left to ensure you get delivery this quarter. After that you will be looking at August/Sept delivery."

I have no idea how accurate that is or if it is just total BS. When I test drove, the SA from the showroom said basically the same thing, but that was on 5/15...
Interesting because when I went to order my M3 the guy told me that quarter 2 was all sold out and was looking at a September delivery. My current EDD is June 19-30th so I thought that was weird. I still don't have a SA. Original order date: 5/19

Reactions: Emmadiane
Talked with two different SAs at two different Tesla store locations in person today. They were confident if you ordered your Model Y in April you will be getting it by the end of June at the latest.

The conversation got more interesting when I questioned:
when did our order day start? One SA said when you paid your $100, while the other said when you completed your profile.
Ummmmm, I call it a lack of proper training, I know one of them must be right.

Now my question is for you detail-oriented folks, what is the definition of a completed profile? is this when you upload your driver's license or when you get approved for your loan if you are financing or even furthermore when you upload your auto insurance on the site?

Last edited:
Talked with two different SAs at Tesla stores in person today. They were confident if you ordered your Model Y in April you will be getting it by the end of June at the latest.

when did our order day start? One SA said when you paid your $100, while the other said when you completed your profile.

Now my question is for you detail-oriented folks, what is the definition of a completed profile? is this when you upload your driver's license or when you get approved for your loan if you are financing or even furthermore when you upload your auto insurance on the site?
Interesting. Good questions I wish I knew the answers to a few months ago. Maybe the answer will help me the next time I feel like being tortured and order another Tesla. IF.

Reactions: JustYNot
Talked with two different SAs at two different Tesla store locations in person today. They were confident if you ordered your Model Y in April you will be getting it by the end of June at the latest.

Ummmmm, I call it a lack of proper training, I know one of them must be right.

Completed profile = completion of all pre-delivery tasks Registration, Delivery Location, Trade In, and Payment Method. There’s been debate in selecting Cash and Lease/Financing. If you don’t select one, the system does not prioritize you to receive a VIN as quickly as possible.

Insurance does not cause delay. You can wait until VIN is assigned.

Reactions: Emmadiane and CPA4U
Completed profile = completion of all pre-delivery tasks Registration, Delivery Location, Trade In, and Payment Method. There’s been debate in selecting Cash and Lease/Financing. If you don’t select one, the system does not prioritize you to receive a VIN as quickly as possible.

Insurance does not cause delay. You can wait until VIN is assigned.
WHAT I WAS TOLD BY MY AGENT
--
In many states a VIN is required to purchase insurance and insurance is required to purchase (certainly if financed) a car. As I understand it, in California you have a couple of days to register you new car with the insurance company. But in the mean time you existing coverage is considered in effect for the new car.
--

According to the SA
--
So for CA all you need to do is submit a copy of you current insurance policy and TESLA is happy.
--

--
In many states a VIN is required to purchase insurance and insurance is required to purchase (certainly if financed) a car. As I understand it, in California you have a couple of days to register you new car with the insurance company. But in the mean time you existing coverage is considered in effect for the new car.
--

According to the SA
--
So for CA all you need to do is submit a copy of you current insurance policy and TESLA is happy.
--
My friend ordered a Model Y on May 6 and did not upload any auto policy to his account. He received a VIN May 29. Seems like insurance does not affect VIN assignment.

--
--

According to the SA
--
--
Did a little research on this and CA law only demands that there is some sort of grace period. The length of the farm race period is up the individual insurer. I have State Farm and they give you up to 14 days. By contrast, Farmers and Geico gives you 30 days.

• Informative
Reactions: Emmadiane
Yay! I got VIN last night. Ordered on 4/20, MYP, no tow, no FSD, blk/blk.

Super odd thing is, I have to go pick up at Colma Serramonte. I chose Fremont as the pick up, but then SA help me switch to home delivery. And when I try to schedule it was to pick up for Colma. Really strange! But still thankful I can pick up this Wednesday.
Interesting. I wonder if all the Fremont deliveries will be out of Colma?

Yay! I got VIN last night. Ordered on 4/20, MYP, no tow, no FSD, blk/blk.

Super odd thing is, I have to go pick up at Colma Serramonte. I chose Fremont as the pick up, but then SA help me switch to home delivery. And when I try to schedule it was to pick up for Colma. Really strange! But still thankful I can pick up this Wednesday.
Congrats! Mind sharing the first 3 digits of your VIN?

Guys it's heeeeeeeere. Man, MSM is such a beautiful color. I am now confident that I made the right choice ditching my original order (white) and getting a demo. See you guys around. Maybe even around the hood. :cool:🌴

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG