Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for long term users about FSD beta on 2-lane highways - is it limited to 10km/h over speed limit like AP or can the speed be set higher when using FSD Beta? For example Highways such as hwy 7 and 17 in Ontario that have 80 km/h and 90 km/h speed limits respectively.

I will go try it for myself later but planning a trip now and deciding which car to use.

I also have a 99 safety score, but may not have drove that many kms in the past month, is that okay as long as I've driven enough total? Or does it need enough km in the past 1 month window.
I am not sure if anyone knows this with any certainty but I would assume that it is a sliding 30 day window so the mileage would only be counted for the last 30 days. That is also what is shown in app for the distance driven summary under the safety score.

Last edited:
Question for long term users about FSD beta on 2-lane highways - is it limited to 10km/h over speed limit like AP or can the speed be set higher when using FSD Beta? For example Highways such as hwy 7 and 17 in Ontario that have 80 km/h and 90 km/h speed limits respectively.

I will go try it for myself later but planning a trip now and deciding which car to use.
I drive mostly rural highways. It absolutely allows you to exceed +10, which is a good thing because it misses 9/10 speed limit signs. It used to miss them on vanilla autopilot, but it seems much worse now. It never sees the sign. If I couldn't roll it up more than 10 like vanilla autopilot used to prevent, it would be unusable.

However, you should also know, my biggest complaint (and I will be emailing my feedback to the FSD Beta team) is that it treats rural highways as if they are city streets. The upshot is that means it follows WAAAY too close (even in chill with distance set to 7). It follows traffic ahead with less than 2 sec distance, at 110km/h. Way too close for a rural highway. It also hugs the centerline too much for my liking. Vanilla autopilot used to keep you centered in the lane, which was already a bit too far left as most people tend to hug the right line due to heavy truck traffic on the highways. FSDb goes the other way, and hugs the darn centerline, very uncomfortable at highway speed with semi truck traffic coming the other way.

I waited 3 years.
Technically, I've waited for 6+ years, I've only had the opportunity to "apply" for the beta since 2020 due to it only being open to the US previously as well as hardware/software requirements that needed updating. Yes, it's improved since I've first got AutoPilot, but am surprised that I've not had the opportunity to test the FSD beta out at all since then. 🤷‍♂️

Musk cheating in Twitter again. He said anyone purchased FSD and safety score above 80 will receive FSD beta by yesterday..damn
In at least one tweet he added the and driven 100 miles condition. But it seems he left off some other details:
  1. The 100 miles has to be in the last 30 days.
  2. The 100 miles has to be on AP.
  3. Your car has to have the correct hardware. (HW3, MCU2, and RCCB cameras)
  4. Your car has to have a "compatible" firmware. (i.e. not larger than 2022.20.x.)
Are there any other restrictions that we know of?

Reactions: Shaz
In at least one tweet he added the and driven 100 miles condition. But it seems he left off some other details:
  4. Your car has to have a "compatible" firmware. (i.e. not larger than 2022.20.x.)
None that I would comment on in a public forum at this point...

Musk is still cheating, I meet all those requirements..May be only people paid 10000+ CAD for FSD will get beta? Damn...

Is there a 10 second buffer after disconnect? Often times I disconnect when I see something ahead that autopilot hasn't picked up on yet and then get dinged for aggressive braking or following too close. In a lot of those situations I probably don't need to disconnect, but it just makes me extremely uneasy when autopilot maintains speed right up until the last second and requires even more aggressive braking (and wasting perfectly good regen). Also, I really don't want to risk a $70,000 car that no amount of insurance money would be able to replace anytime soon.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Is there a 10 second buffer after disconnect? Often times I disconnect when I see something ahead that autopilot hasn't picked up on yet and then get dinged for aggressive braking or following too close. In a lot of those situations I probably don't need to disconnect, but it just makes me extremely uneasy when autopilot maintains speed right up until the last second and requires even more aggressive braking (and wasting perfectly good regen). Also, I really don't want to risk a $70,000 car that no amount of insurance money would be able to replace anytime soon.
There's a 3 second "grace period," so as long as you swerve / brake / have FCW within 3 secs of disengaging, you're good.

In cases like yours, I would usually either let autopilot get as close as I dared then react quickly, or if possible I'd disconnect AP waaaay early and come in nice and slow.

This is a really good write-up and helped me alot: