Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7 months later and still holding on to version 6.2.
I'm consistently getting the "Voice command not available" message now even though I have internet connectivity and rebooted both screens.
I guess there's no point in asking TESLA to check it out. I'm sure they'll just ask me to upgrade to version 7.1
If anything more critical fails, I may have to let go of 6.2

That's right, map updates are only downloaded by Wi-Fi. Firmware updates can be cellular, Wi-Fi, or at the service center. There have only been two map updates.
Right. I was mainly posting because a number of members adamantly argue that map updates happen over cellular. I thought my car was an interesting case because it's several years old without a single map update, had just been connected to WiFi for the first time in its life, and within days received a map update. Seems like pretty good proof to me, but...

They are. Minor tweaks blah blah. No noticeable difference.
I live in Windsor Canada. Picked up my new S two weeks ago. I keep getting error messages that the update didn't load (on my phone). Since I live in a condo and park in the basement the only connection is thru the tesla network. Since the signal is weaker in the basement I left the car parked overnight on the parking lot. Not too happy about that. Nothing loaded last night. Any idea if they publish a notice or schedule as to when updates will be broadcast? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

I live in Windsor Canada. Picked up my new S two weeks ago. I keep getting error messages that the update didn't load (on my phone). Since I live in a condo and park in the basement the only connection is thru the tesla network. Since the signal is weaker in the basement I left the car parked overnight on the parking lot. Not too happy about that. Nothing loaded last night. Any idea if they publish a notice or schedule as to when updates will be broadcast? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Unfortunately, nobody has been able to come up with any schedule of when a given car will get the update. There were early indications, and maybe a statement from Tesla, that wifi connections would be prioritized, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the real world.

However, once you get the alert that you have an update, my understanding is that the software has already been downloaded to the car. It merely needs to install it and restart. So I don't think parking outside will help you much in this case.

This could also be an update to get the cars ready for 8.0. Since the classics haven't had anywhere near as many updates as the autopilots, it is probably time to get a true-up and as many cars on par as possible. Then the "big" upgrade could, in theory, be a bit more consistent and easy to test for.

I don't know anything specific unfortunately, just throwing out guesses.

My scheduled s/w update greeted me this a.m. with a message, saying software was installed and "checking status.." popup seemingly sitting there saying that all night. Wish I snapped a shot of it.

So I dismissed the panel, it went away, I checked the Tesla symbol screen for release number and saw 2.28.60 and the notes just bug fixes.. drives fine. Seems the touchscreen is sluggish on responding to touches, so I'm going to reboot.

But has anyone else experienced this "checking status.." hanging message before? I haven't.

Kinda worried a reboot might gronk the car if something was incomplete.