Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Finally, I saw the feedback request for autopilot disengagement. My car went to a bus stop lane which was not the right turn lane which was another 50 yards away. I did not provide a feedback as I was busy paying attention to the road, traffic, and pedestrians. At least, it exists.

For me feedback request disappears when close to the final nav destination. It usually disables sometime before the final turn.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II
I would feel more comfortable with FSD if Tesla does the following:

1. Show a brake light icon on the screen when the car in front has the break lights on or when the car approaches the red light/stop sign, and make the car decelerate right away instead letting the car continue to go with the same speed and slam on the break later.

2. Do not move the car when the car in front just moves 1 or 2 inches. The car should only move after the car in front moves a minimum distance.

TACC stands for "Traffic Aware Cruise Control". It's adjusting itself based on traffic around you. The most common application of this is when driving significantly faster than the lane next to you, the system will slow down.
I understand that. And therein lies probably the biggest thing I dislike about my Tesla - everything is built around self drive. There is no "normal" cruise control. Because let's face it, the self drive isn't there yet, and because of that, basic functions like cruise control can become unuseable due to their reliance on the self drive tech.

My wife's Lexus and my old VW both have adaptive cruise control (with a radar BTW). They didn't phantom brake, have false positives, etc. And if they did have issues (sometimes the radar would get snow on it and not work, for example), the option exists to turn off the adaptive function and revert down to plain old cruise control.

If TACC starts exhibiting (even more) issues due to it's reliance on the self drive tech, without the ability to downgrade to normal cruise, I could find myself on a long roadtrip without even the ability to use cruise control - no cruise control on a $130K car?? Right.

TL;DR: My beef is the car is always trying to act like it's smarter than the driver. It's not, so let the driver override / disable the "smart" features.

Reactions: JB47394 and Mark II
I understand that. And therein lies probably the biggest thing I dislike about my Tesla - everything is built around self drive. There is no "normal" cruise control. Because let's face it, the self drive isn't there yet, and because of that, basic functions like cruise control can become unuseable due to their reliance on the self drive tech.

My wife's Lexus and my old VW both have adaptive cruise control (with a radar BTW). They didn't phantom brake, have false positives, etc. And if they did have issues (sometimes the radar would get snow on it and not work, for example), the option exists to turn off the adaptive function and revert down to plain old cruise control.

If TACC starts exhibiting (even more) issues due to it's reliance on the self drive tech, without the ability to downgrade to normal cruise, I could find myself on a long roadtrip without even the ability to use cruise control - no cruise control on a $130K car?? Right.

TL;DR: My beef is the car is always trying to act like it's smarter than the driver. It's not, so let the driver override / disable the "smart" features.
"My beef is the car is always trying to act like it's smarter than the driver. It's not, so let the driver override / disable the "smart" features."

Not sure what you meant. If you press the brake lightly or push the stark up then TACC is disabled.

The thing I don't like is when FSD or auto steer is disabled but TACC is still enabled when the driver just jerks the steering wheel just a little bit because of fear. This is dangerous. People may think TACC is completely disabled but actually it's not. Maybe Tesla should allow the driver to nudge the wheel a little bit when using autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: aronth5
Not sure what you meant. If you press the brake lightly or push the stark up then TACC is disabled.
I mean I'd like to override / turn off the "traffic aware" portion of the cruise. I get so many phantom braking or slowdown events, or TACC "reducing speed due to poor visibility" when I can see just fine. I've had long stretches on the highway where I've had to disable TACC due to these issues, leaving me with no cruise control capability at all.

If V11.4 is going to add another "smart" feature (using rain/spray awareness as indicated above), this introduces another opportunity for my TACC to false positive and become useless...

"My beef is the car is always trying to act like it's smarter than the driver. It's not, so let the driver override / disable the "smart" features."

The thing I don't like is when FSD or auto steer is disabled but TACC is still enabled when the driver just jerks the steering wheel just a little bit because of fear. This is dangerous. People may think TACC is completely disabled but actually it's not. Maybe Tesla should allow the driver to nudge the wheel a little bit when using autopilot.
This isn't the behavior my new S exhibits. If auto steer is enabled and I disengage via the wheel, both auto steer and TACC disengage. I don't know which behavior I'd prefer, as now when I disengage from the wheel, the car starts slowing down very quickly and I have to remember to accelerate quickly so I don't infuriate the people behind me.

This isn't the behavior my new S exhibits. If auto steer is enabled and I disengage via the wheel, both auto steer and TACC disengage. I don't know which behavior I'd prefer, as now when I disengage from the wheel, the car starts slowing down very quickly and I have to remember to accelerate quickly so I don't infuriate the people behind me.
Really? You have HW4 though, right?

My 2022 is identical to @rlsd, jerking the wheel disables autosteer but NOT TACC. I've gotten into the habit of steering first to avoid the danger, then tapping the brake or scroll wheel to turn of TACC, so it hasn't been too much of an issue for me. But that's because I'm aware of it, I can see how someone new to the car could be caught off guard.

My wife's Lexus and my old VW both have adaptive cruise control (with a radar BTW). They didn't phantom brake, have false positives, etc.

They did of course- though just like with Tesla phantom braking it's highly YMMV from one person to the next on if they believe it does it, or how often.

EVERY brand of radar based cruise has issues with this, it's inherent to the technology.... there's been dozens on previous links posted from owners of every brand about it... here's a few more for you:

VW owners citing this happening in their cars (ID.4, and Golf named specifically)

245,000 VWs actually recalled for unexpected braking.

Mentions of owners experiencing phantom braking in a slew of brands including VW, Audi, Honda, and more

Tens of thousands of of ES and Avalons being recalled because radar might unexpectedly brake for steel joints in roadways

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow and GWord
Are you sure about this? Tesla has never disabled TACC by a steering wheel disengagement (I wish it did). So you are saying that this is a change made on HW4 cars? Seems odd that HW4 cars would exhibit a different behavior on this than all other Tesla's.

They did of course- though just like with Tesla phantom braking it's highly YMMV from one person to the next on if they believe it does it, or how often.
No, they didn't.

I never had either of those cars slow me down from 110 (Km/h) to below 90 in the time it takes me to get my foot on the gas to override. Not once. Ever.

My MS does it regularly, 3-4x a week.

And, even if I accept your argument (the fact I personally never had it doesn't mean it isn't a problem, JUST LIKE WITH TESLA), those cars allow you to disable the adaptive portion of the cruise. My Tesla doesn't. That's my beef - I can't disable the adaptive part of the cruise when it decides conditions are right that day for it to act up.

An issue I’m having with v11, now that navigation based lane changes cannot be disabled, is that the statuses of HOV and toll roads preferences are not displayed anywhere.

I’ve been inadvertently lane changed into the HOV lane or out of a toll lane because the states of those settings differed from my needs at the time. In the past I just ignored these lane change requests from NoA.

HOV and toll settings need to be displayed on the top level. Ideally they should also be available to change on the top level. My needs for those settings change regularly depending on who’s in my car or whether or not it’s worth $12 to get to a meeting on time.

Yep. If I set a destination (or more often, if the car sets the destination) and I set off on my trip there is no obvious way to know which of those settings is enabled without going into that menu.

A large number of my highway disengagements are the car diving into the HOV lane, me wrestling the wheel, and then going “WTF! Oh, let me check that menu…”

Same for tolls. There needs to be something apparent on the top level screen.

Really? You have HW4 though, right?

My 2022 is identical to @rlsd, jerking the wheel disables autosteer but NOT TACC. I've gotten into the habit of steering first to avoid the danger, then tapping the brake or scroll wheel to turn of TACC, so it hasn't been too much of an issue for me. But that's because I'm aware of it, I can see how someone new to the car could be caught off guard.
Yes I have HW4. It's happened a few times to me. I leave work at 4 est today ill share a video.

This depends on how you setup enabling TACC/FSD. Because trying to engage double press of wheel on Yoke is a pain I switched it to single press activate FSD. The down side is that it will cause both FSD & TACC to disable when moving the wheel, instead of just FSD. This also makes it impossible to activate just TACC. Yet another reason I hate the yoke (or more specifically the lack of stalks).

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ