Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
“Technically,” 🤣 a negative bias on FSDj, the bait and switch on the Cybertruck (starting with last Thursday’s “Spectacle”), and of course my “within spec” normal vibration that most Plaids have - unaddressed for over 2.5 years.
Negative bias firmly rooted in a fact-base. I know, I know, I should never let the facts ruin a good story…. ✅
Yet the story is a never ending continuous grind over and over. Seems almost masochistic at this point? Fear you will never find joy in this forum or with these products.

Really? FSD would definitely drag my score down - it speeds up, triggering a forward collision warning, then slams on the brake, if I don't disengage FSD or quickly reduce speed limit.

I'm also in California, so I just turn off safety score - too distracting.
Interesting. I've never gotten a Forward Collision W
arning just from FSD approaching traffic in front, only in rare cases when someone dangerously turned right in front of me or the like. I don't have too many complaints about the acceleration deceleration in normal traffic or traffic jams.

OTOH, I greatly dislike its habit of zooming past a long traffic queue in the adjacent lane as it approaches the leading car in my own lane. In other words, FSD needs to limit its differential speed, because these are the situations where someone may suddenly cut out of the adjacent lane to get into my shorter-queue lane. Also, someone may turn left in front of me, through a gap in those stopped lanes, where we both can't see one another. I've definitely had an FCW and a near accident due to this very scenario.

Back to the ordinary accel/decel behavior: FSD does often slow down when it judges a possible upcoming problem, like a car that is posed or creeping to turn in front of me but (most often) does not. And (at least up until now) it often slows down for a crossing car that is already clearing my path, and then continues to hold the slow down too long and recovers late. However, this known problem rarely triggers a Forward Collision Warning, just the delayed-reaction slowdown.

Having already heard that the false signaling and unwanted lane change problems (my biggest day-to-day issues) are not fixed in 11.4.8.x, and wipers aren't fixed, my remaining hope is that the delayed-reaction ehavior is somewhat improved by the new video caching architecture.

Yet the story is a never ending continuous grind over and over. Seems almost masochistic at this point? Fear you will never find joy in this forum or with these products.
I do agree I've been very negative on these three matters - but only to counter what I believe to be some shill like pushing of a Tesla/Elon agenda - counter to the facts. Just trying to make sure people don't fall for it (as I, and many early adopters did with FSD, for example) - because all we saw and heard from the shills/influencers and members heavily invested in $TSLA say was how mind-blowing it was. There was little negative (or factual) information out there at the time. Just stuff like that we see from shill Whole Mars Catalog ("Omar").

Believe it or not, I used to be super positive on FSD (early beta days - check my threads and posts if you don't believe), the Cybertruck (as I had a announcement night RN reservation), and even the MS Plaid - Until Tesla LATER played the "within spec" game after three failed repair attempts, including half-shaft replacements. In writing, I have them calling this vibration "normal," because "all the cars do it, they said". Flagship product, my @$$. And, once they made this "declaration," they (in writing) stated they would no longer work on the issue (that many, many members here have and complain about in many threads). To add insult to injury, they also said in writing that none of this repair time would count towards the "lemon law" buyback as the OEM considers the behavior normal. And yes, I confirmed this with a lemon law attorney at the time. Two, actually. Don't believe this is an ignored by Tesla widespread issue? Just search on the word "Vibration" in the MS or MS sub forums. @WilliamG, and many others in the many TMC vibration threads, can add color if you're interested.

So yeah, I'm kinda soured by these three factual/actual events and want future buyers to see/read both viewpoints, not just the "it's all roses" view. No need to reply or counter argue. Just wanted to give you some perspective.

Oh, I think he does find Joy in this form, with a capital J.

It may not be exactly your kind of joy nor mine, but once you accept that it's not going away, you can roll with it (or vibrate with it) and not let it get you riled. He's actually a lot less mean-spirited then some of the truly angry old coots that show up here to vent uncontrollably, or some of the Lordships of Pessimistic Wisdom who, for some reason, never tire of trying to educate us about the futility of the FSD project.

I'm just guessing that @jebinc can be found on a keyboard enthusiast forun somewhere, complaining about low quality because he keeps breaking his overused J key...

I'm still holding out for general feedback but until then RUT ROH! Say it isn't so Elo...

View attachment 996080
Just to get back on topic...

I assumed V11.4.8.1 would've "dramatically" improved compute (latency) as was suggested in the release notes. Maybe it's only situational? In any event it should be noticeable sometime, somewhere?

I'm probably putting too much weight in the release notes.

Really? FSD would definitely drag my score down - it speeds up, triggering a forward collision warning, then slams on the brake, if I don't disengage FSD or quickly reduce speed limit.

I'm also in California, so I just turn off safety score - too distracting.
the faq shows miles driven on autopilot and 5 seconds after disengaging aren’t counted toward safety score, so technically if you disengage and slam on the brake it shouldn’t impact you at all.

The wipers suck on 11.4.4 too. Drove last night in very light rain, speed limited to 65mph on highway, FSD maybe degraded. While it choked the speed back on the highway, it also didn’t wipe the windshield at all during this drive. Perhaps it was due to lighting conditions in the dark. This is in a HW4 car on 2024.32.9. My HW3 car on 11.4.7.3 or whatever seemed slightly better with the wipers. It’s been a while though.

Major versions - v9, v10, v11
Minor versions - .1, .2, .3
Bug fixes / tweaks - .x.1, .x.2, .x.3

I never expect much from a bug fix / tweak, like going from 11.4.7.8 to 11.4.8.1 - these are all giving us fixes and adjustments to v11.4. I expect more improvements when going from v11.4 to v11.5. The big ones, going from v9 to v10, and now v11, are the architectural changes.

So, take what you read in the release notes and temper it with the version number. Don't get too excited until you see the Minor and Major version numbers changing.,

Major versions - v9, v10, v11
Minor versions - .1, .2, .3
Bug fixes / tweaks - .x.1, .x.2, .x.3

I never expect much from a bug fix / tweak, like going from 11.4.7.8 to 11.4.8.1 - these are all giving us fixes and adjustments to v11.4. I expect more improvements when going from v11.4 to v11.5. The big ones, going from v9 to v10, and now v11, are the architectural changes.

So, take what you read in the release notes and temper it with the version number. Don't get too excited until you see the Minor and Major version numbers changing.,
Right, I figured 11.4.8.1 is because 11.4.8 was unreleasable. Sad to hear about wipers seemingly getting worse, although I'm not sure how its possible to make the worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Anybody with HW4 get 2023.27.12 / 11.4.8.1 yet? TeslaFi numbers seems to show the rollout has been made available to about 8% of its 2023.27.x fleet up from the initial 2% rollout. It also shows 2023.27.x is roughly 3% HW4 vehicles, so if this were a hardware-independent rollout, we should expect to have already seen around 8 installs of 11.4.8.1 on HW4. Maybe just bad luck or Tesla forgot to include HW4 or the new video module is only for HW3 for now?

Anybody with HW4 get 2023.27.12 / 11.4.8.1 yet? TeslaFi numbers seems to show the rollout has been made available to about 8% of its 2023.27.x fleet up from the initial 2% rollout. It also shows 2023.27.x is roughly 3% HW4 vehicles, so if this were a hardware-independent rollout, we should expect to have already seen around 8 installs of 11.4.8.1 on HW4. Maybe just bad luck or Tesla forgot to include HW4 or the new video module is only for HW3 for now?
My son has one of the HW4 cars now on 2023.27.7 / 11.7.3, and he is registered to TeslaFi. Neither one of us has this new software yet. He's not paying for FSD on that car, has it only for the trial which ends for him in January. Will report back if he gets it.

Reactions: jebinc
I think fastfreddie7 falls into that category - HW4 with early 11.4.8.1 download.

Dry wipe issue remains for the 11.4.8.1 release. Strange they can't fix this after so many bug fix releases.

Did dry wipes start with photon level processing? If so maybe the issue is photon level being less SNR and increased noise being indistinguishable with rain droplets? Otherwise it leaves one to believe they just don't give a #@$.

Last edited:
Dry wipe issues remains for the 11.4.8.1 release. Strange they can't fix this after so many bug fix releases.

Did dry wipes start with photon level processing? If so maybe the issue is photon level being less SNR and increased noise being indistinguishable with rain droplets? Otherwise it leaves one to believe they just don't give a #@$.

I guess it will be fixed in May 2024 after Tesla collects enough videos of rain from the rain season January 2024-March 2024 to train the NN.