Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Edit: I can see an argument that with super-human reaction times, cars on TACC or Autopilot or similar can safely drive closer. Would love to see a test demonstrating that in a train of cars all following that close that if the lead car applies 100% full brakes, emergency stop, all the trailing cars can react in time and stop in their lane without colliding.
I think the more appropriate test would be at 70 MPH and that the test car on TACC is following a SUV and can't see the vehicles in front of it, and that SUV isn't paying attention and pulls a "moose avoidance" maneuver into an adjacent lane just before running into a fully stopped car. The test vehicle now has under two car lengths, under a half of a second, to identify the fully stopped vehicle, apply the brakes, and stop from 70 MPH. (Sure, that is likely a rare occurrence, but I have seen You Tube videos of just such a thing happening.)

We'll know Tesla finally solved L2 once these quirky FSD traits go away. Until then FSD might remain a college-try novelty good for open roads and min to no traffic (i.e. frustration/scenario-fenced).
On controlled access highways FSD is just about at L3 with V11. Only a few minor improvements left. When that happens it will be interesting if Tesla tries to get approval for L3 since other automakers seem to be targeting that capability. It will be a long time though before City/Streets reaches anything close to even L3.

Last edited:
To realistically block someone jumping in front you have to follow no more than a second behind, maybe less, and I just don't see the need.
It's not about blocking people from jumping ahead of you, I think some of you are missing the point. It's about keeping pace with traffic at a distance the line behind you doesn't feel the need to try and jump ahead of you. Will there always be jerks? Sure - but those should be edge cases, not the norm. It's doable.
Edit: So I'm curious - have any of you arguing that the settings are fine actually had a chance to test the new ones? Or are your comments based on past versions? Because it's gotten worse whether you know it or not.

Last edited:
This is such a grade school rebuttal. "Just move to another country".

There's a reason why so many were upset about the removal of radar and the 1 setting. Teslarati (bad source, yes) said it was the most popular setting on interstate speeds. Most drivers when passing in the left lane, want to maintain a small gap. It's the reason this discussion is taking place.
Following that close is simply unsafe and tail gating is just dumb. I see so many rear end collisions on the highway and state troopers I know strongly feel the vast majority are because cars were too close together whether in the high speed lane or slow lane. Especially when some people add texting to the drive.

I'm with Alan on this.

I try to be very aware of keeping up with traffic when in the left lane as a driver (and I like to think I'm successful). You don't have to follow super closely to keep up. I usually aim for 2-3 seconds follow time, but I'm hyper aware of not letting that get any longer because it gets frustrating to drivers behind (I'll absolutely speed, but I'm quite careful about following distance - seems to be the opposite "code of ethics" compared to other drivers, lol) ...
I appreciate both your ways of thinking as well. I try to keep a steady flow of traffic in the left lane (or middle if fast enough). Heck I'll drive in 7 follow dist if low traffic and 5 if moderate amount of traffic. I'll pull to the right to let others pass if they are obnoxiously on my tail so they can tail the person right in front of me :)

I just got back from a 3000+ mile road trip. About 1/3 the way in we were in stop and go traffic on an interstate when I was reminded of computer vs human reaction time. In that case, I dial to 2 follow dist and will not pay a lot of attention as we stop/start. I was looking at the traffic lines/colors on the map zooming in and out. The traffic started picking up to maybe 35-40 mph ... THEN the car in front of me hit their brakes. I happened to be looking down at that moment but looked up quickly when I felt my car reaction. It happened fast and my cars anti-loc brakes kicked in and I (car) even did a 2' skid to a stop about 5' away. This was a 2017 X with the latest upgraded FSD computer ... which I upgraded ASAP even before I was eligible for FSDbeta software. My rational was I wanted the fasted computer analyzing the sensors and cameras. AFAIK radar is no longer used in my car even tho originally it was. I'm 1 FSD version back (ie. not the "single stack") ... and thus the 2-7 language vs the 3 settings in FSDbeta now (chill, norm, assertive).

Edit: So I'm curious - have any of you arguing that the settings are fine actually had a chance to test the new ones? Or are your comments based on past versions? Because it's gotten worse whether you know it or not.
No one is arguing the current settings in v10 are fine, as far as I can tell. I certainly am not, as I have made clear repeatedly.

I am not surprised there is no improvement in v11 though I would like to try it!

Thank you. The strange thing is that it says it is checking for updates but after checking it still says updated as of February 6 and not today's date?
It's all over the place. They stopped random checking and limited to 24 hours, but now most are reporting it being a few days old. I've never seen it say Feb 6, most are saying the 26th or 27th. Try rebooting.

Regardless, unless your car has been flagged for an update, you aren't getting it by manually checking.

I just did a trip to the grocery store and noticed that when I disengaged on the highway, I wasn't offered an opportunity to report a problem. But when I disengaged on secondary roads, I was. I wasn't aware that distinction existed.
I've only disengaged once on the highway using V11.3.3 and was able to submit a verbal report.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and JB47394
I just did a trip to the grocery store and noticed that when I disengaged on the highway, I wasn't offered an opportunity to report a problem. But when I disengaged on secondary roads, I was. I wasn't aware that distinction existed.
I've noticed this too, though I'm not sure there's an on-purpose distinction. The only constant I've seen is that if I disengage at the end of a trip, I don't get prompted. Otherwise, it seems that I get prompted the first time I disengage, but only some of the time thereafter on the same drive. I'm guessing it's a bug?

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I've noticed this too, though I'm not sure there's an on-purpose distinction. The only constant I've seen is that if I disengage at the end of a trip, I don't get prompted. Otherwise, it seems that I get prompted the first time I disengage, but only some of the time thereafter on the same drive. I'm guessing it's a bug?
So far any time I've disengaged I've gotten the prompt to voice report.

I went 2 days without the option for a voice message, then was prompted with every disengagement yesterday. Today it appears it's every disengagement within a planned trip. Like it won't prompt when I arrive, but it will if I want to take over and stop somewhere else.

Seems to be all over the place. On brand.

Why do you think it wouldn’t just fall back to the old stack as usual?
I believe people have shown inability to activate FSD Beta's Autosteer (lack of steering wheel icon) during heavy rain, but it could be activated during lighter rain and kept active even when things get heavier. Autopilot settings screen doesn't allow switching to FSD Beta when in drive, so that's why I suggested a potential hack of a separate driver profile.

This is to test if FSD Beta is unable to / designed not to fall back to the old stack as before. One potential reason for the delay in FSD Beta 11.x was that extra compute that would have in parallel run the old stack for immediate fallback was needed to run larger FSD Beta networks.

Even if there's "only" say half a second delay in using the old stack, the Autopilot driver interface could result in large red "take over immediately."