Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
No sign of it on Teslafi, could be rolling out to a few influencers/YouTubers at first?
There used to be "employee" vehicles that could appear on TeslaFi or Teslascope, but leading up to FSD Beta 11.x, they've all deactivated or hid their status on those services. Pre-Safety-Score group with early access and video snapshot button are using these services, so with neither showing 2022.45.13 / 11.3.4, it's not rolling out to that group yet.

At least for 11.3.2, there was an employee tweet March 18th 4:18pm Pacific followed by TeslaFi spotting 2022.45.11 same day 10:38pm ~6.5 hours later. And 11.3.3 had release notes March 24th 2:58pm before TeslaFi spotted 2022.45.12 same day 10:14pm ~7 hours later.

Now with 11.3.4 tweet March 31st 7:49am, will 2022.45.13 start rolling out around the "usual" ~10:30pm evening rollout or with a 6.5 hour delay, ~2:30pm (just under 5 hours from now)?

have any of you arguing that the settings are fine actually had a chance to test the new ones?
I haven't been on the highway much since I got V11.3.3, but it was fine. But then again on AP/NoA I always ran with the following distance set to 6 or 7. So V11.3.3 set to chill seemed just fine in my limited testing so far. (When coming to a full stop it does leave more space in front than I feel is necessary, but I don't see that as a problem.)

Reactions: scottf200
I haven't been on the highway much since I got V11.3.3, but it was fine. But then again on AP/NoA I always ran with the following distance set to 6 or 7. So V11.3.3 set to chill seemed just fine in my limited testing so far. (When coming to a full stop it does leave more space in front than I feel is necessary, but I don't see that as a problem.)
Wow OK, I’m not a 6 or 7 guy 😉.

Reactions: kabin
I'll toss my 2 cents in here on follow distance. From a big-picture standpoint, Tesla is trying to show the industry that its ADAS functions are safer than a human. In order to accomplish this, it needs to be more conservative on the roads than some may like. Can the system give a follow distance of 1? Yes. Is the percentage chance of a collision in an emergency higher with that follow distance? Yes. So I can see why Tesla is increasing the following distance to reduce the risk of collisions and keep their numbers moving in a positive direction.

To that end, in those situations where you need to pass a slower moving vehicle like a semi, and move into a high-speed left lane, if you feel the Tesla is not accelerating fast enough to the set speed, or leaving too large a gap as it does so, then disengage the ADAS and perform the maneuver manually, then re-engage the system once you're comfortably back in the appropriate lane.

I'll also add that there is a procedure in the manual called "Overtake Acceleration". You might try this procedure to see if it helps with acceleration - it involves holding down the turn signal partially - but I'll let you Google it.

On controlled access highways FSD is just about at L3 with V11. Only a few minor improvements left. When that happens it will be interesting if Tesla tries to get approval for L3 since other automakers seem to be targeting that capability. It will be a long time though before City/Streets reaches anything close to even L3.
I haven't tried the highways yet. From what I can tell there's still some tweaking needed for how to manage path decision making for long rows of cars exiting/entering freeways. Myopia wont get it done. FSD shouldn't plan on playing the #@$hole with those desperate last second cut-ins. FSD needs enough spare processing to look down range, understand scenario context, and maybe even have insight into driving behaviors. Basic driver skills.

Last edited:
I always use max following distance.

I'm in no hurry to get to anywhere at the risk of an accident.

Hasten slowly. Will reduce your blood pressure.
😄 That’s great but I’m 60, twice retired, have never had an accident, and have great blood pressure as a lifelong runner. But I still want to get where I’m going. And just because I indicated the following distance is now too long on 11.3.3 doesn’t mean I’m unsafe in any way. But thanks for the insight. 😉. Oh, and my intent was to give my appraisal of the new software of which I posted several times. Being a public forum I have no illusions everyone will agree, just trying to be helpful.

Wow OK, I’m not a 6 or 7 guy 😉.
Just watch this video to see what happens when people follow as close as you want to:

Notice, that follow vehicle #2 stopped in time, and was then pushed into #1 by the #4 vehicle. That #4 vehicle rear-ended the #3, which made a "moose avoidance" maneuver before rear-ending the #2 vehicle themselves. Yes, that is correct the #4 vehicle rear-ended two different vehicles in the pile-up. (So the #2 and #3 vehicles were the only ones leaving enough following distance, and paying attention.)

Just watch this video to see what happens when people follow as close as you want to:

Notice, that follow vehicle #2 stopped in time, and was then pushed into #1 by the #4 vehicle. That #4 vehicle rear-ended the #3, which made a "moose avoidance" maneuver before rear-ending the #2 vehicle themselves. Yes, that is correct the #4 vehicle rear-ended two different vehicles in the pile-up. (So the #2 and #3 vehicles were the only ones leaving enough following distance, and paying attention.)
Yes, I’m a big boy and have seen the videos thanks. Saw the one about the wooden tissue box in the rear window ledge that flew up and killed the driver in my Driver ed days back in the 70’s too. That one I never did. 😉

And 5 pending installs on TeslaFi: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
Yup, these are the usual 5 TeslaFi that have gotten 11.x after employees but before the rest of us:

teslafi 2022.45.13.png

Teslascope also confirming all of its 7 pending installs are coming from 2022.45.12:

I suppose 2022.45.13 was actually first spotted 10 hours ago, but I'm not sure where Tesla Info sources its data?