Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
The ones I have trouble with are strung above the traffic lane on a 65 mph road to alert you to an uncontrolled intersection. There are four lights arranged in a rectangle with opposite corners lit and unlit together. The car will slow, and possibly stop, for them, though I never allow to progress that far!

View attachment 927804
I have the same issue with slowing by my local fire station. Flashing yellow fire signal always causes a slow down to approx 20mph from the speed limit of 50mph. I either disengage or accelerate through it.

Screenshot_20230412-175726~2.png

I've been getting one botched lane change per day the last couple of days, both on .5 and .6, which I almost never saw before highway FSD. One was on a moderate highway turn and the other on a pretty straight section. Both were pre-dawn so maybe there's some light or shadow coming into play.

Which does literally nothing useful in and of itself.

Those recordings stay local to the car and nobody ever sees them except your local service center if, and only if, you open a service ticket and they think the report is relevant.
Agreed, a bug report does nothing on its' own.
If I have an issue I find it helpful to do the bug report and in my service request I report the problem as well as the date and time the bug report was entered. I've been told by service that let's both the remote diagnostics team and the local technicians see the state of the vehicle at the time of the problem. I don't think a normal bug report has anything to do with FSD beta. The report when you intervene in beta is a different type of report.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I've been getting one botched lane change per day the last couple of days, both on .5 and .6, which I almost never saw before highway FSD. One was on a moderate highway turn and the other on a pretty straight section. Both were pre-dawn so maybe there's some light or shadow coming into play.
What do mean by 'botched'? Aborted for no apparent reason? Tries to hit another car? Puts on the turn signal, then changes its mind before starting the change? Something else?

I’ll never know since I was not running the GoPro, but presumably confused by the pavement colors. I guess I could drive it again.

I don’t think it signaled (there would not have been a reason to change lanes). But will never know.

I disengaged of course.

FSD Beta 11.3.4

I’ve actually had some decent drives this week (so far) on 11.3.6. City drives seem slightly better than 11.3.3 for me. Seems to handle construction better than 11.3.3. Highways are a mixed bag:

-I’m using the “average” setting and for the most part, it’s moving out of the passing lane when another vehicle is behind me. Sometimes, when someone is right on my tail, it still won’t move over. I have to manually make the lane change. You can’t tell me it doesn’t see a vehicle right on your ass? If Tesla is trying to create road rage scenarios, they are off to a good start.

-merging is still a mix bag. If no one is around, sure, the zipper merge works great, if other vehicles are present, it’s a gamble. It just uses up the entire merge lane, I’ve had to stop and wait for traffic to merge in. This is dumb. Yesterday, there was a line of semi’s that couldn’t move to the left lane to let me in, my car used the whole merge lane, then tries merging into one of the trucks. FSDb should see the line of traffic, maybe slow down for it then merge. This is how I would drive.

Reactions: RabidYak
I’ve actually had some decent drives this week (so far) on 11.3.6. City drives seem slightly better than 11.3.3 for me. Seems to handle construction better than 11.3.3. Highways are a mixed bag:

-I’m using the “average” setting and for the most part, it’s moving out of the passing lane when another vehicle is behind me. Sometimes, when someone is right on my tail, it still won’t move over. I have to manually make the lane change. You can’t tell me it doesn’t see a vehicle right on your ass? If Tesla is trying to create road rage scenarios, they are off to a good start.

-merging is still a mix bag. If no one is around, sure, the zipper merge works great, if other vehicles are present, it’s a gamble. It just uses up the entire merge lane, I’ve had to stop and wait for traffic to merge in. This is dumb. Yesterday, there was a line of semi’s that couldn’t move to the left lane to let me in, my car used the whole merge lane, then tries merging into one of the trucks. FSDb should see the line of traffic, maybe slow down for it then merge. This is how I would drive.
Well, I spoke too soon.
Traveling on an unmarked road this morning, FSDb failed to pass a cyclist, just followed the poor guy for a while until I took over. Same road, further down, it wasn’t giving enough room for a woman walking. Took over again.

Anyone else notice the garbage cans in the display, and how inaccurate they are displayed? AP used to show these alolost always perfect, now two cans show up as like 6-8? I also had it display three cans in the middle of the road, there were none. Car slowed down quick, then sped up.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
What do mean by 'botched'? Aborted for no apparent reason? Tries to hit another car? Puts on the turn signal, then changes its mind before starting the change? Something else?
The car properly signals and attempts to change but then somewhat violently snaps back into the lane I was originally in. I don't recall if they were both lane changes initiated by me but I know for sure one was.

Damn, I'm 0 for 4 on Interstate exits (just 2 trips so far). Not only that but all 4 times I was in the HOV/left most lane and blow by the right exits 5 or more lanes away and NO attempt to even start getting over. Very strange. I will take some time Saturday and drive on Interstates and try a few exits.

I’ve tested nearly every release since September of 2021 and just did my seven-segment test route on 11.3.6. You can see the results at the link below.

Essentially no improvement over prior versions. There’s a few things it does better but it is no more useful than it has been in the past (aka not at all). As I do with every hyped release I thought “maybe this is finally it!” It is not.

Test Route Tracking

Edit: the path planner has become…bizarre. See attached.

IMG_4178.jpeg

Last edited:
I took 11.3.6 out for a day-long drive from SF down through the Santa Cruz Mountains along the peninsula on Skyline Blvd and some backwoods connecting roads and then CA-9 near Saratoga and then back to SF on I-280.

Things I noticed:

FSD did a very good job of driving on the winding mountain roads with lots of blind corners and occasional hairpin turns. It did a good job of appropriately slowing for curves and then reaccelerating and it stayed within its lane as well as a human driver would. I was impressed.

There are many bicyclists on those roads. FSD detected them well but didn’t always give them extra room so I sometimes had to take over. When this happened, it often initially began showing that it would adjust to the left to give more room but then reverted to a straight ahead path as it got closer to the cyclist. I think I noticed similar behavior around other non-cyclist objects as well (see below).

FSD failed several times or was oddly slow at finding an appropriate path around objects in the road such as construction sites with cones. At one site, construction was being done within a large area in the middle of a wide street surrounded by cones. Oncoming traffic could travel on the far left edge of the street and my direction could drive on the far right. FSD approached the scene near the middle of the road with a slight right bias and then chose to sharply turn to the left side of the street toward the oncoming side of the road. On another occasion, a large construction truck was extending half-way into a wide street with cones around it and FSD first planned a path around it to the left and then reverted to a path straight into the truck. I let it go I until it was clearly too late to appropriately go around to the left. This behavior seems similar to what I saw with cyclists on the mountain roads — it sees the instruction and initially forms a path around it but then falls back on driving straight through. Weird. I don’t know that FSD would have hit a cyclist or the large truck — I think it would have stopped and been blocked by it’s failure to go around.

I noticed that 11.3.6 (and 11.3.3) seemed to miss several turns onto adjacent streets that navigation wanted it to follow. I think it would have done better with these intersections on 10.x

V11.3.6 failed to safely negotiate an UPL with oncoming 45mph+ traffic. It was on course for a collision prior to disengagement. I was the only vehicle in the left turn lane so the view was wide open. Very odd results given it was wide open after the oncoming car. V11.3.6 path decision making and timing seems off the mark.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Hmm. This would work but it would piss people off who want to make a quick change with one click… Debatable tbh.
There's nothing to debate here. The root problem is that the car doesn't provide a way to see the current setting. The current FSD driving mode should be visible next to the wheel icon with a single letter. Or a set of three dots. Or change the wheel icon itself. Something.
Edit: the path planner has become…bizarre. See attached.
Somebody will come up with the observation that there is a jurisdiction where that's legal.

I just download 11.3.6 the other day and took it for a drive. I was making an unprotected left turn. When the light turned green, the intersection was clear and the car could have gone twice. There was an oncoming car coming from far away and it decided to wait, so I just let it do its thing. As the oncoming car approached to go straight, FSD decided to jerk the wheel and try to turn directly in front of the oncoming car. It's almost like it purposely waited and wanted to have a head on collision. There were no other cars before or after that one oncoming car. I disengaged FSD before it could turn, but the initial jerk scared the crap out of the other driver. Makes absolutely no sense. Stupid behavior like this makes me lose all hope for FSD. Considering how long they have been working on what seems like more difficult scenarios, it's so dumb that it still tries to turn directly into oncoming traffic (or at the very least that it even considers doing it).

Just a nuance complaint on the operation of the Scroll Wheel Button for Chill/Average/Assertive. When you first press it changes to the next Up or Down. To me it should FIRST show what you are on and then change on the next press.

I do Chill->Avg->Chill quickly just to get the option to set 'Minimal Lange Changes' on.