Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Eh? The car has absolutely can know this - the cabin camera. You're telling me the car can't figure this out?

Here's my cabin:

View attachment 936866

I'd strongly suggest you re-read my post.

Because you appear to...not have? Because it points out why "only knowing how many people are in the car" doesn't actually let the car know if it's ok to use a given HOV lane or not.

And since that's the only info the cabin camera can provide, the car can not know if it's ok to use a lane from that.

• Funny
Reactions: SSDTester#1
I'd strongly suggest you re-read my post.

Because you appear to...not have? Because it points out why "only knowing how many people are in the car" doesn't actually let the car know if it's ok to use a given HOV lane or not.

And since that's the only info the cabin camera can provide, the car can not know if it's ok to use a lane from that.
For most places it’s just occupancy number, so we could start there, no?

It would be crazy if just this one time the reported smooth, human-like, promising, major architectural improvements actually were substantial and we weren't being manipulated. o_O
I think whenever I get any FSD update for the first time I always want it to be perfect for the problem areas of my usual routes. And it usually disappoints me. And then I kinda get annoyed at it. Then I start to get used to what it does right and what it doesn't. And then I reflect that things are truly getting better and smoother and I'm driving less and less each day. Now for example 11.3.6 is used on every single drive for at least 75% of the drive and I really appreciate how amazing it is most of the time.

Keep your expectations grounded and you will see the positives. I think these iterative updates are greater than the sum of their parts.

Also I don't think I have experienced any true phantom braking on the highway since V11.

For most places it’s just occupancy number, so we could start there, no?

...no?

Because in some places it's 2 people. In others it's 3. In others still it's as few as one if you ALSO have a certain type of car, or if you have a certain type of plate, or if you have a certain type of transponder... or if it's between certain hours of the day... or certain days of the week... None of which the interior camera knows about.

Hey your own state has this.... The I-405 and SR 167 have HOV lanes that can be used by a single person who pays a toll to use them... some lanes in your state are 24 hour HOV lanes, some are only during certain hours, some the hours are variable and some they are fixed.

So unless you're going to program a ton of location-specific and circumstance/vehicle specific data into the car as well-- and keep it regularly up to date (which is not a thing Tesla has had much luck with on other things like say speed limits) that's not going to be nearly as reliable- or useful - as just letting the actual driver decide to enable using HOV lanes or not.

Last edited:
It would be crazy if just this one time the reported smooth, human-like, promising, major architectural improvements actually were substantial and we weren't being manipulated. o_O
The release notes do include large percentage improvements. Hopefully we will be able to recognize a 44% improvement in "forks" or 36% improvement in lane perception on city streets :cool:
But we shall see in a few weeks when the rest of us get it :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: SSDTester#1
Some of the things I picked up on.
Still really late picking exit lanes, the last highway exit it was 200ft from the exit before it got over but had lots of opportunity earlier.
Still has the annoying two flash indicator, then stop, then two flash and stop all the way until it starts to move.
Still got the accelerate slowly (really slowly), brake really hard thing going on.
On the second to last turn, it moves to the right lane, almost missing the left turn lane it needs to be in to turn left.
Most of the highway stuff looks ok, but the traffic was super light. Driving around Austin is never like that.
Looks like, “…. 7.0” is inbound for @Ramphex 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
HOV laws vary quite a bit. Some states let EVs use them. In Arizona you can use them if you have special plates. In Minneapolis it’s 2 or more people or if you pay with a transponder. In CO they have some HOV lanes for 3 or more people instead of 2.
Or you need at least 2 people AND/OR have ugly stickers on your bumpers...! That pisses me off...

My $0.02 on all this:

I actually find value in FSD. Paid up front for it twice. ($6k on 2020 MYLR, $12k on 2020MYLR). I don’t think I can live without it (first world problems). The fact is,
I drive 30k a year. FSD (no matter the state), has made my tireless miles “easier”. Just the fact of lane keeping on unmarked roads is huge for me. When you pile on miles, every little bit helps. It does not come with the stack of “oh sh$t” instances, but for the most part, it’s been pretty ok.

I’m at the 1year anniversary of delivery of my 2022 Y. I never thought I’d say this (and it goes against my 2yr/60,000mile replacement policy), but I think I’ll hold onto my 2022 Y with FSDb just because it has it. FSDb is sooo much better at all things AP, I couldn’t go back to regular “AP”. Until Tesla has FSD available to all who purchase/subscribe to it, I’ll hold out for a newer vehicle purchase. I’m not playing the “safety score game” (I drive a $hit ton, I shouldn’t have to earn my way into this), (although, I believe they did away with the safety score bs).

This also comes with the loss of USS, addition of “radar”, removal of said “radar”. It’s all sp confusing.

Just my $0.02 as an avid user of FSD.

Looks like, “…. 7.0” is inbound for @Ramphex 🤣
He isn’t getting any update. He is always last of all of us. I think he just went to 10.4
Is he the guy with punch cards instead of a touch screen?
Reel-to-reel tapes in his glove box for the dash cam?
He'll be getting the FORTRAN software release.