Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand all the hate. It's a cool feature. It's fun to use and if nothing else, makes me pay attention to the road even more in case it makes a mistake, way more that if I drive manually in fact. I've used several other driving assistant offerings from other manufacturers and they were either limited to the type of road or a specific area. FSDb makes the same old commutes I've made for years into a fun little trip.

Now my opinion/experience is nonsense? Thanks, I'll remember that as you guys express your opinion/experiences.
You’re giving it credit for doing what it’s supposed to do. Are you next going to give yourself credit for paying for the groceries at the store? For not robbing your neighbor? For not running a grandma over with your car while she’s crossing the road?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
You’re giving it credit for doing what it’s supposed to do. Are you next going to give yourself credit for paying for the groceries at the store? For not robbing your neighbor? For not running a grandma over with your car while she’s crossing the road?
No, I'm going to give credit for an amazing product that's doing something no other consumer car can do.

You want the end result, and I get that. Sucks your car is a POS, and that you're so stubborn that you won't just get rid of it and buy something else, or take Tesla to court and prove your car is a lemon and then buy something else.

You #junk guys are soooo jaded that you can't see the impressive feat that is FSD Beta. It's not perfect, and it's not ready for prime time, but it's impressive non the less. I feel bad you guys don't get to experience it. It's like you have lost that sense of awe and wonder and just have cynicism and doubt instead. You can't see past your own experience to the overall positive effect in development.

I have nothing but pity for you.

• Funny
Reactions: PVia and jebinc
No, I'm going to give credit for an amazing product that's doing something no other consumer car can do.

You want the end result, and I get that. Sucks your car is a POS, and that you're so stubborn that you won't just get rid of it and buy something else, or take Tesla to court and prove your car is a lemon and then buy something else.

You #junk guys are soooo jaded that you can't see the impressive feat that is FSD Beta. It's not perfect, and it's not ready for prime time, but it's impressive non the less. I feel bad you guys don't get to experience it. It's like you have lost that sense of awe and wonder and just have cynicism and doubt instead. You can't see past your own experience to the overall positive effect in development.

I have nothing but pity for you.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I’m glad that it makes you warm and fuzzy inside. To me, it was a waste of money. Maybe one day it’ll be good and I won’t feel the same, but that day isn’t today.

Reactions: jebinc

I believe to each their own and that everyone can have a different perspectives/expectations but at the same time if all of your feedback is negative all the time then it begs the question - what are you doing here? If I had so many problems and I hated something so much I would move and never look back, life is too short to be negative all the time, sell your Tesla and buy something else that you can be happy with, if not, then there is always people that love misery then enjoy your misery. By the way I think that there is a long way to go for FSDb to be useful but I can see the improvements and after having multiple other cars, Tesla is still the best for FSDb, although far from what it should be for a full FSD. Change do not come from full negative but from stating what is working and what is not working - just saying what is not working all the time is not helpful but annoying. I also agree that saying that everything is great all the time when is not is also very annoying. So, say what is working and what is not. If for you everything is not working, please do not torture yourself and move on to a better car.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue that Tesla is going to have in the not so distant future is when FSDb gets good enough that it is ‘99% capable.’ Right now, it still messes up enough to keep you on your toes and with some experience you can predict where it’s going to have problems. What happens when it Is good enough that you only have to take over once a week? At that point it can become problematic because the average human doesn’t deal well with monotony. If a system is good enough to cause complacency it could actually be worse because the human will be less likely to pay attention when needed.

In a way that’s what we’ve seen with many of the AP crashes. People use it, are impressed, then become over confident and complacent when it comes to the abilities, to the point that they override the safety mechanism so they can watch movies, sleep, use it in areas for which it’s not designed, etc.
Agreed, and it was this concern that led Waymo down the path they took. Where Tesla will end up I do not know, but there is always some idiot who will try to game the system, do something stupid, and then try to blame Tesla when they get hurt.

I think there are two aspects to this. Three first is, can the car be made good enough so that, even with the idiots, the overall accident rate still goes very clearly DOWN. In this case, you are not going to have NHTSA getting all worked up, as they look at actual statistics not idiots being stupid. The second is who is legally responsible for crashes when they do occur (which they will). This is much trickier, and depends upon the courts and/or what Tesla manage to get FSD drivers to sign up for. My suspicion Tesla lawyers will argue that FSD is glorified cruise control, while the other side will argue that FSD is more like an airplane. Where this will end up I do not know, except that a lot of lawyers will make $$$ from it all.

Reactions: GSP and pilotSteve
11.4.2, Chill Mode, MLC enabled
FSD Beta moved slightly to the right, enabled the right blinker, and then smoothly made a right turn. Amazing!
Now, I know you're cherry picking perfect drives!

After two great long drives yesterday, FSDb pulled into a left turn lane about 0.25 mile from the real turn. It did stop all safe-like, but I had to take over to get it right with the nav again. Then, it sat at a green light to make up for other people's reports of it running red lights.

A second drive, along the same route, had no such issues.

I believe to each their own and that everyone can have a different perspectives/expectations but at the same time if all of your feedback is negative all the time then it begs the question - what are you doing here? If I had so many problems and I hated something so much I would move and never look back, life is too short to be negative all the time, sell your Tesla and buy something else that you can be happy with, if not, then there is always people that love misery then enjoy your misery. By the way I think that there is a long way to go for FSDb to be useful but I can see the improvements and after having multiple other car, Tesla is still the best for FSDb, although far from what it should be for a full FSD. Change do not come from full negative but from stating what is working and what is not working - just saying what is not working all the time is not helpful but annoying. I also agree that saying that everything is great all the time when is not is also very annoying. So, say what is working and what is not. If for you everything is not working, please do not torture yourself and move on to a better car.
But, I’ve never said I hate it. I just said that right now it’s….. useless junk. It’s not the end of the world. I like the car, I like the idea of FSD (else I wouldn’t have spent money on it), unfortunately it just sucks right now. Hopefully one day it won’t.