TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good Job Summon

Discussion in 'Model S' started by akraut, Aug 2, 2017.

1. akraut

akraut Member

Last night, Summon decided to drive into the side of my garage opening after 3 months of flawless operation. (v17.26.76 AP2)

IMG_20170801_171315723.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Sympathy. Like the auto park... My distrust makes me not use it. Painful part will be watching Tesla tell you "tough luck"

• Like x 2
  3. akraut

akraut Member

Fortunately, I was there to supervise and stopped it. Only paint transfer, which buffed out. But still...

4. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

The exact same thing happened to me a couple days ago, and I was also able to stop it and carefully pull the car forward again and away from the wall. There were scuff marks on the wheel well just like in your picture, but I was able to wipe them away with just a cloth. Thankfully the garage wall had a rubber flange or something that prevented any scratches. I too have used summon pretty much every single day since it was enabled on my AP2 car a few months back with no issues until this happened.

5. akraut

akraut Member

Are you on the same SW Version? It seems like this version has been a little more "rammy" with things including AP.

• Funny x 2
  6. sdorn

I'm on 2017.28 c528869

7. sdorn

In my case I had stopped the car a little further (maybe 2 feet) from the garage door than I normally do before I told it to back in. It came in fairly straight but then cut the wheel sharply for some reason and turned almost straight into the wall. It happened pretty quickly but I stopped it right after it made contact with the wall.

8. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I've been using it for the past almost a month on AP1. What I've learned is two things

1) Summon only work well if you have it drive head in and back out. Not back in and drive out. The back in and drive out, it doesn't do too well and it only work in straight line, no adjustment.

2) You need to properly align the car. While driving straight it, it does slightly adjust, but not too much. However, if you back in, the adjustment is nill and work horribly. It only work well straight in and out if you back in.

• Informative x 3
  9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Glad you were there to catch it happening. Fortunately a car moving at 1-2mph can cause relatively little damage to itself.

10. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Same thing happened to me on a 24 hour test drive. I was able to recreate it, video it, and luckily they did not hold me responsible. I posted a link to the video in a different thread a few months ago. I have not summoned my Model S at all....

11. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

I've never seen this on the side of a garage opening. Sounds like a decent feature. Can you post pics?

12. oktane

oktane Active Member

Mine will crash 1/10 times at least. Not very reliable. Tesla should pay for any damages.

13. sdorn

It is just weather stripping, but it folded up between the car and the wall and provided a small amount of protection.

upload_2017-8-3_9-15-14.png

14. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Step 1. sell cars that drive into things.
    Step 2. own body shop

lol

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  15. Buster1

Buster1 Member

One of the cardinal rules of backing out of a garage is to NOT turn the wheel. I. We'd to remind my wife of this at times. o_O

Are you saying that the Tesla summon will turn the wheel sometimes during a reverse back out?

16. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

Summon works awesome but:

1. Always use the key fob
    2. Always monitor when moving toward a fixed object

17. Shorty

Shorty Member

Most people would have learned after the first time :)

I happen to live in a town where we have an idiot Mayor who believes that every car will be self-driving by 2020 so there is no need to maintain parking as it won't be needed anymore.

If nothing else Tesla is proving that we are still a very,very long way away from that reality ever coming to pass.

• Like x 1
  18. croman

croman Active Member

I rarely use it. It is just prone to doing exactly what happened. Nearly happened to me when I first got summon, so I didn't use it for 2 months. Then I started using it almost everyday until my keyfob battery died. Went 2 months before I managed to replace it (it worked just wouldn't summon). I started using it again and it almost crashed into my garage like OP's but I stopped it and haven't used it since. I aligned it perfectly, it just turned its wheels sharply as it was 1 foot from garage entrance. (going in face first). Backing out usually is fine though when I first got summon it didn't homelink right and drove into the metal garage door handle. I stopped it but it kept going about 3-5 inches before it stopped and it slightly marked the T logo on the trunk. Homelink was properly configured and linked to summon. I haven't had that issue since (in fact, my biggest problem has been that the car's ultrasonic sensors don't notice the garage door is actually open and it thinks there is still an obstacle present and refuses to go.

Sometimes I have to summon 2-3 times to get it past the slight lip.

• Informative x 1
  19. sdorn

Yes, the Tesla definitely turns the wheel in order to attempt to center itself in the garage opening both on entry and exit. It does not simply pull straight forward or straight back unless you line it up perfectly (as determined by the Tesla).

I generally back up to my garage door at a very slight angle so that it comes in a little off center and gets closer to the wall than the center of the garage so there is more room to get in/out of the minivan parked next to it. The car always makes steering adjustments as it backs in such that sometimes it works out and it parks close to the wall, and sometimes it turns the other way and parks closer to the center. It never even came close to hitting anything (in many months of using it daily) until the other day when it decided to turn abruptly straight toward the wall. I was watching it though so I stopped it as soon as I saw it make contact with the wall.

20. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Tesla can't pilot a car out of the garage, they'll have full self driving really soon :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2