Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Job Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, Summon decided to drive into the side of my garage opening after 3 months of flawless operation. (v17.26.76 AP2)

IMG_20170801_171315723.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Last night, Summon decided to drive into the side of my garage opening after 3 months of flawless operation. (v17.26.76 AP2)

View attachment 239346

The exact same thing happened to me a couple days ago, and I was also able to stop it and carefully pull the car forward again and away from the wall. There were scuff marks on the wheel well just like in your picture, but I was able to wipe them away with just a cloth. Thankfully the garage wall had a rubber flange or something that prevented any scratches. I too have used summon pretty much every single day since it was enabled on my AP2 car a few months back with no issues until this happened.

The exact same thing happened to me a couple days ago, and I was also able to stop it and carefully pull the car forward again and away from the wall. There were scuff marks on the wheel well just like in your picture, but I was able to wipe them away with just a cloth. Thankfully the garage wall had a rubber flange or something that prevented any scratches. I too have used summon pretty much every single day since it was enabled on my AP2 car a few months back with no issues until this happened.
Are you on the same SW Version? It seems like this version has been a little more "rammy" with things including AP.

In my case I had stopped the car a little further (maybe 2 feet) from the garage door than I normally do before I told it to back in. It came in fairly straight but then cut the wheel sharply for some reason and turned almost straight into the wall. It happened pretty quickly but I stopped it right after it made contact with the wall.

I've been using it for the past almost a month on AP1. What I've learned is two things

1) Summon only work well if you have it drive head in and back out. Not back in and drive out. The back in and drive out, it doesn't do too well and it only work in straight line, no adjustment.

2) You need to properly align the car. While driving straight it, it does slightly adjust, but not too much. However, if you back in, the adjustment is nill and work horribly. It only work well straight in and out if you back in.

One of the cardinal rules of backing out of a garage is to NOT turn the wheel. I. We'd to remind my wife of this at times. o_O

Are you saying that the Tesla summon will turn the wheel sometimes during a reverse back out?

Mine will crash 1/10 times at least. Not very reliable. Tesla should pay for any damages.

Most people would have learned after the first time :)

I happen to live in a town where we have an idiot Mayor who believes that every car will be self-driving by 2020 so there is no need to maintain parking as it won't be needed anymore.

If nothing else Tesla is proving that we are still a very,very long way away from that reality ever coming to pass.

Reactions: gowthamn
I rarely use it. It is just prone to doing exactly what happened. Nearly happened to me when I first got summon, so I didn't use it for 2 months. Then I started using it almost everyday until my keyfob battery died. Went 2 months before I managed to replace it (it worked just wouldn't summon). I started using it again and it almost crashed into my garage like OP's but I stopped it and haven't used it since. I aligned it perfectly, it just turned its wheels sharply as it was 1 foot from garage entrance. (going in face first). Backing out usually is fine though when I first got summon it didn't homelink right and drove into the metal garage door handle. I stopped it but it kept going about 3-5 inches before it stopped and it slightly marked the T logo on the trunk. Homelink was properly configured and linked to summon. I haven't had that issue since (in fact, my biggest problem has been that the car's ultrasonic sensors don't notice the garage door is actually open and it thinks there is still an obstacle present and refuses to go.

Sometimes I have to summon 2-3 times to get it past the slight lip.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
One of the cardinal rules of backing out of a garage is to NOT turn the wheel. I. We'd to remind my wife of this at times. o_O

Are you saying that the Tesla summon will turn the wheel sometimes during a reverse back out?

Yes, the Tesla definitely turns the wheel in order to attempt to center itself in the garage opening both on entry and exit. It does not simply pull straight forward or straight back unless you line it up perfectly (as determined by the Tesla).

I generally back up to my garage door at a very slight angle so that it comes in a little off center and gets closer to the wall than the center of the garage so there is more room to get in/out of the minivan parked next to it. The car always makes steering adjustments as it backs in such that sometimes it works out and it parks close to the wall, and sometimes it turns the other way and parks closer to the center. It never even came close to hitting anything (in many months of using it daily) until the other day when it decided to turn abruptly straight toward the wall. I was watching it though so I stopped it as soon as I saw it make contact with the wall.