Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this spec chart is to be believed, the P85 indeed maxes out on 310 kW, which is consistent with its original spec of 420 hp. The motor can take more, but the battery output is limited.

In my experience, the biggest limiting factor in 0-60 runs for this car is its tires. Most configurations come with all-seasons, and they really struggle for traction at takeoff.
Ahh, I did just check that chart. That's interesting. So the battery is the limiting factor here :)
Still, according to the chart my butt dyno should really see the difference between this and an 85. Thanks for the link. Have read it many times but never scrutinized the battery output numbers!

Try pressing on the "T" logo on the center screen and seeing if the "Performance" mode is on...you will see a drop down menu in the top left. If that mode is enabled then it could be set to emulate a S85 or S70 and that could account for the low performance.

Reactions: Drucifer
If this spec chart is to be believed, the P85 indeed maxes out on 310 kW, which is consistent with its original spec of 420 hp. The motor can take more, but the battery output is limited.

In my experience, the biggest limiting factor in 0-60 runs for this car is its tires. Most configurations come with all-seasons, and they really struggle for traction at takeoff.

That spec chart is not to be believed. The max battery power numbers are flat out wrong. I pull over 320 kw in my S85. Furthermore, the max battery power should be the same for all 85 variants and it is not (except ludicrous).

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3
Try pressing on the "T" logo on the center screen and seeing if the "Performance" mode is on...you will see a drop down menu in the top left. If that mode is enabled then it could be set to emulate a S85 or S70 and that could account for the low performance.
I'm not able to see that mode. I tried entering "performance" in the access code and nothing happened. I had a hunch similar to that as well but haven't been able to look for those settings.

So I did get a chance to log one 0-60 run and the power with it using the app. See the plots attached. I'm mildly confused by the result, 4.5s and 320kw. I'm 0.1 sec worse than Tesla's "under promise" 0-60 time. I wonder what would be needed to get to the 3.9s some people see. So, the charge level was 85%, and the TC was on. Before drawing any conclusions I suppose I should charge it to 100% and check again, maybe with TC off too. Screenshot_20170603-113917.png Screenshot_20170603-113927.png

So there is some possibility based on these numbers that I am just spoiled, the car is working fine, and that my butt dyno is seriously out of calibration. If that turns out to be the case, please forgive my ignorance. I'll blame it on my Tesla noobn3ss. Another run at 100% will probably answer it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: TomatoOne

It's wrong. I've logged 315KW in S85 loaners and 375KW in P85 loaners.

• Informative
I'm not able to see that mode. I tried entering "performance" in the access code and nothing happened. I had a hunch similar to that as well but haven't been able to look for those settings.

So I did get a chance to log one 0-60 run and the power with it using the app. See the plots attached. I'm mildly confused by the result, 4.5s and 320kw. I'm 0.1 sec worse than Tesla's "under promise" 0-60 time. I wonder what would be needed to get to the 3.9s some people see. So, the charge level was 85%, and the TC was on. Before drawing any conclusions I suppose I should charge it to 100% and check again, maybe with TC off too.View attachment 229611 View attachment 229612

So there is some possibility based on these numbers that I am just spoiled, the car is working fine, and that my butt dyno is seriously out of calibration. If that turns out to be the case, please forgive my ignorance. I'll blame it on my Tesla noobn3ss. Another run at 100% will probably answer it for me.

Your KW graph is showing 340KW which is somewhat less than I've seen on a P85 between 80 and 90%.

You should get TM-Spy and look at the the voltages of your individual battery strings. You might have some blown cells.

3.9 seconds is with the 1 ft rollout, so 4.2 seconds is what you should get without the the 1 ft rollout. 4.5 seconds is not quite optimal. But unless you're using a prosumer or professional grade performance meter, you can't trust the 0-60 results. The tesla is only providing 4 samples per second through the server. The 0-60 time could be off by up to a half second.

Your KW graph is showing 340KW which is somewhat less than I've seen on a P85 between 80 and 90%.

You should get TM-Spy and look at the the voltages of your individual battery strings. You might have some blown cells.

3.9 seconds is with the 1 ft rollout, so 4.2 seconds is what you should get without the the 1 ft rollout. 4.5 seconds is not quite optimal. But unless you're using a prosumer or professional grade performance meter, you can't trust the 0-60 results. The tesla is only providing 4 samples per second through the server. The 0-60 time could be off by up to a half second.
Plot thickens. So yeah my power output is somewhere between an S85 and a P85. I'll have to figure out a way to count the 0-60 time more accurately. Looked into TM-SPY. Definitely I terested. I'll have to make a cable for the connector, though I do have a Bluetooth obd2 adaptor ready to go, so that's good. It may take me some time to make the cable given my horrible schedule.

Just an update: I contacted tech support and asked them to look I to it. They said they can't do anything and the local service center has to do it, but they're closed on Sundays. So they opened a case for me. I'll try to time it again tomorrow at a higher SOC and see what happens.

My P85 has felt like a regular 85 ever since I had a drive unit replaced a couple of years ago. A new DU was put on last year, which seemed to give me back that snap, but now it's gone again. I asked service to look into it, they said they drive other P85s on the lot and they all felt the same way. Except, when I drive a loaner P85, it literally leaps when I tap the pedal while on mine I have to depress the pedal much further to get the same or similar feeling.

Was there a change made to the pedal mapping of some cars versus others?

My P85 has felt like a regular 85 ever since I had a drive unit replaced a couple of years ago. A new DU was put on last year, which seemed to give me back that snap, but now it's gone again. I asked service to look into it, they said they drive other P85s on the lot and they all felt the same way. Except, when I drive a loaner P85, it literally leaps when I tap the pedal while on mine I have to depress the pedal much further to get the same or similar feeling.

just my luck that I'd get one like that. But power output doesn't lie. It took 3 seconds for me to reach a peak of 330kw. Seems like it should have a bigger slope if it's going to be snap-your-head-back fun.

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that the traction control is kicking in to prevent tire slip, so the net effect is that it's ramping up the torque to what the tires can handle. I'll also suspect that the traction control has improved in recent firmware versions as well as probably in your new drive unit such that it isn't noticeable when its limiting torque.

Put some summer performance tires on it and take it to the drag strip where they have a prepped, sticky track. I bet it snaps your head just fine. :)

• Informative
Guys, if you want accurate results, just dump the CAN data from the diagnostic connector. You'll have both Volts and Amps. My 85D is software limited to 1150 amps (pack has a 1300amp fuse but that's another matter). Depending on the voltage sag (so starting SOC), I can get around 360kW.

Notice the voltage at the beginning : around 394V (4.104V per cell, around 94%). Then I stomp it and when it gets up to 1150amps the voltage drops to 313-314V. 313*1150 = 360kW with a 80V drop.

IIRC, a P85 is also limited to 1150amps. Assuming the same voltage drop (it should be pretty similar), you should get similar results.

A regular 85, in comparison, will limit to around 900 amps.

The 310kW max battery power figure (on wikipedia for the P85 and 85D) is not a best case scenario. Walking backward with 310kW with 1150amps, it's gives a under-load voltage of 270V. Let's assume a 80V drop, that's 350V before stomping on it. 350V is 3.645V per cell... which happens to be around 50% SOC...

So the "max battery" figures are probably taken at 50% battery.

Guys, if you want accurate results, just dump the CAN data from the diagnostic connector. You'll have both Volts and Amps. My 85D is software limited to 1150 amps (pack has a 1300amp fuse but that's another matter). Depending on the voltage sag (so starting SOC), I can get around 360kW.

Notice the voltage at the beginning : around 394V (4.104V per cell, around 94%). Then I stomp it and when it gets up to 1150amps the voltage drops to 313-314V. 313*1150 = 360kW with a 80V drop.

IIRC, a P85 is also limited to 1150amps. Assuming the same voltage drop (it should be pretty similar), you should get similar results.

The 310kW max battery power figure (on wikipedia for the P85 and 85D) is not a best case scenario. Walking backward with 310kW with 1150amps, it's gives a under-load voltage of 270V. Let's assume a 80V drop, that's 350V before stomping on it. 350V is 3.645V per cell... which happens to be around 50% SOC...

Your videos are very informative, thank you!!!

Easier said than done though ;)
I do want to get a set up to monitor all that. Just haven't figured out where to get the cable, etc. There's an Android app I'd use once I get the right cable. I figure for now, the logs should tell me what I want to know. That is, can they tell me the power I had on Tuesday when I floored it, and tell me the power I had on Saturday when I floored it, and if there's a difference they should be able to tell me why. They didn't call today :/
Will have to bug them tomorrow about it. But long term I do want to read the CAN data.

CAN is realtime there is no "logging" aspect that will tell you what the power was in the past. But, yes, you will see the difference show up in terms of battery temp. That is pretty much the only thing that affects it.
Hmm battery temp. So does cooler battery = more power? Just trying to maximize this thing so when I go to impress people I wont be embarrassed, lol. 100% soc, cool weather, no TOC and maybe I can pull 360+ kw?