Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still on 2.50.180 S90D delivered 12/30/16.

With NO safety features enabled at all, I should have gotten the Spare Drawers Option. Glancing for a split second to change climate settings at 80 MPH with no Lane Departure Warning active is sobering when you look up and find you're three feet out of your lane.

• Funny
Reactions: NicB72 and RobW2428

With NO safety features enabled at all, I should have gotten the Spare Drawers Option. Glancing for a split second to change climate settings at 80 MPH with no Lane Departure Warning active is sobering when you look up and find you're three feet out of your lane.

Sounds like you shouldn't be driving at all.

I guess after driving a Classic for 2.5 years, the whole concept of keeping one eye on the road when assing around with the center console has become second nature.

Tip: assign climate control to the right scroll wheel.

I'm not sure if this was already a known function, but I was able to go out on some curvy roads yesterday and noticed that TACC would slow down before tight turns, sometimes slowing down as far as 25mph on a 55mph road(this was expected for the turn, I had my foot near the brake ready to take over if it didn't slow). Pretty neat, I suspect it got the info on turns from the map/gps.

Its odd that for AP1 - the very first time they too a crack at AP - Tesla was able to release lane keeping with no speed restriction and for the whole set of people with AP hardware. And then they when 8.0 came they were able to seamless switch to camera plus sensors with no loss of functionality.

So one would think AP2 with more hardware , they should be able to atleast get to AP1 from day 1.

This 35 mph limit and a small distribution makes me wonder they are quite far from getting to even AP1 function, which is odd and is of concern

• Love
Reactions: oktane and xborg
They don't have MobilEye. Here Tesla is doing it themselves using their own hardware and only some software help from nvidia. Still it doesn't excuse the lack of communication and transparency in sales. Shady stuff Tesla and they'd better get moving on giving this safety and convenience software to people outside of California.

Reactions: oktane
Its odd that for AP1 - the very first time they too a crack at AP - Tesla was able to release lane keeping with no speed restriction and for the whole set of people with AP hardware. And then they when 8.0 came they were able to seamless switch to camera plus sensors with no loss of functionality.

So one would think AP2 with more hardware , they should be able to atleast get to AP1 from day 1.

This 35 mph limit and a small distribution makes me wonder they are quite far from getting to even AP1 function, which is odd and is of concern

With more information coming from more sensors it is easier to make right decision but also more opportunites to make a wrong one.

Also, as I said before, any hw2 mishap on hw2 would ignite a storm of negative press so I am sure Tesla would like to avoid that too.

Saw 2.52.120 installed on a HW2 car that was not one of the initial 1,000.

Release notes say "minor stuff". AP2 is not enabled, still just standard cruise control w/o radar. Headlights are now auto instead of manual, as is day/night mode for console display. No other notable changes.

I think maybe 2.52.120 carries the code for low-speed AP2 for everyone, but it is still running in shadow mode and can be flipped on later without a full update. Not sure that's how it actually works though.

From what I have seen, MobileEye offers a turnkey solution for AP-like functionality. The radar sensor directly goes into their unit and they output steering and throttle commands for you.

Of course Tesla built on top of that and refined it into one of the best ADAS implementations on the market but now that they are completely doing it in house, it will take time to reach parity. At this point MobileEye's been doing this for 10 or so years... the fact that Tesla already has a semi functional AP2 preview is already a good achievement and years ahead of a traditional automotive timeline.

With that said, being more transparent and realistic in the marketing of AP2 would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: jame521