Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 69.2.3 (2022.20.18) this morning without the route change option. Drove it to the store and back. It felt smoother on acceleration, sometime to smooth when accelerating after entering in front of another car. Seems to not changes lanes as much. Left and right turns are still done correctly although sometimes to fast (speed in turn). When I try it later again today I'll have a better idea how it compares to 69.2.2

I can't tell any difference between 69.2.2 and 69.2.3 and the release notes are the same, so leads me to believe they just took some bug fix or something.
EVEN Elon agrees and states that 69.3 WILL be the upgrade. Those seeing all the improvements or regressions in 69.2.3 are mostly experiencing placebo. Now bring on 69.3 so we can have some REALL improvements.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.35.02 AM.png

I can't tell any difference between 69.2.2 and 69.2.3 and the release notes are the same, so leads me to believe they just took some bug fix or something.
Yes, it seems largely the same. In the few drives I've done with 69.2.3 it does seem like braking when approaching stopped traffic is slightly improved to be more smooth & less unnecessary use of the friction brakes.

Used the FSD yesterday and the second time on the same route it failed to perform as well as the first time. Specifically it kept changing lanes (autopilot set to Average just as before). I think the most frustrating part of using FSD is its consistently inconsistent in its behaviour and the tasks that it is inconsistent performing changes. It's still like teaching a teenager with a bad attitude how to drive safely and he/she had better learn pretty fast or I may lose my patients.

Reactions: Jeff N
(69.2.3 FSD) This morning I went for a drive using FSD and at the intersection at the end of my road, the intersection that is at an oblique angle, where the car using 69.2.3 has successfully make the right turn a dozen times, today it went straight across. Once again the navigation showed a right turn and the voice announced a right turn in 1000 feet. The car began to enter the intersection making the turn but part way into the turn the blue line changed directions, showing straight across the road, and the car went straight across the road. There was no traffic so I let it play out. This is very disappointing and dangerous. If I announce that I am going to make a right turn and put on the right turn signal using my vision I will turn right 100% of the time. The only reason I would not turn is it there were a problem with safety, which was not the case here. The teenage driver with a bad attitude is back.

• Informative
Reactions: jeremymc7
(69.2.3 FSD) This morning I went for a drive using FSD and at the intersection at the end of my road, the intersection that is at an oblique angle, where the car using 69.2.3 has successfully make the right turn a dozen times, today it went straight across. Once again the navigation showed a right turn and the voice announced a right turn in 1000 feet. The car began to enter the intersection making the turn but part way into the turn the blue line changed directions, showing straight across the road, and the car went straight across the road. There was no traffic so I let it play out. This is very disappointing and dangerous. If I announce that I am going to make a right turn and put on the right turn signal using my vision I will turn right 100% of the time. The only reason I would not turn is it there were a problem with safety, which was not the case here. The teenage driver with a bad attitude is back.
This feels like the planner failed, which is a common issue with recent versions. The blue line is the planner showing forward thinking and projecting the course. It also handles lane changes to position itself correctly before a turn.

Make sure you are reporting it every time it happens, and I personally would recommend disengaging just before the turn and handling the turn manually, then re-engaging afterwards. You can test that intersection/turn with each update to see if there's improvement.

Reactions: hybridbear
This feels like the planner failed, which is a common issue with recent versions. The blue line is the planner showing forward thinking and projecting the course. It also handles lane changes to position itself correctly before a turn.

Make sure you are reporting it every time it happens, and I personally would recommend disengaging just before the turn and handling the turn manually, then re-engaging afterwards. You can test that intersection/turn with each update to see if there's improvement.
This problem was more common with previous builds the current one has been much better until today.

Reactions: Dewg
Phantom traffic signals / stops in NYC on the West Side Highway and Brooklyn Queens Expressway.

There are several places on the West Side Highway and BQE where FSD beta (and previously before I was invited FSD autopilot non-beta) slowed approaching a traffic control / stop light even though there isn't one. On the BQE (elevated road) perhaps the car doesn't realize vertical position and thinks I'm on the street below the elevated highway, but, this also happens on sections of the West Side Highway where it is not an elevated road. I've hit the capture snapshot before these several times in the past year but still happens. Before Beta I could nudge the drive stalk to ignore this but with FSD beta, sometimes it continues to slow down and I have to push the accelerator to avoid slowing down.

Thoughts?

Phantom traffic signals / stops in NYC on the West Side Highway and Brooklyn Queens Expressway.

There are several places on the West Side Highway and BQE where FSD beta (and previously before I was invited FSD autopilot non-beta) slowed approaching a traffic control / stop light even though there isn't one. On the BQE (elevated road) perhaps the car doesn't realize vertical position and thinks I'm on the street below the elevated highway, but, this also happens on sections of the West Side Highway where it is not an elevated road. I've hit the capture snapshot before these several times in the past year but still happens. Before Beta I could nudge the drive stalk to ignore this but with FSD beta, sometimes it continues to slow down and I have to push the accelerator to avoid slowing down.

Thoughts?
Every time I go the the 'T' below (blue arrow), FSD slows down even if there are no other cars in sight. There is a stop where indicated but I'm think FSD couldn't even see that. The other day there were no cars so I decided to see what it would do. It got down to 1mph in the middle of the intersection before resuming (this is a 40 mph road).

It has no problem going the opposite direction and does handle the stop if I'm coming from there with the expected fair amount of creep and hesitation.

I've probably tapped the camera 50+ at this point.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 27

Thoughts?
I've got one of those here in Albuquerque. I think it is a map problem, though perhaps if FSDb were smart enough it could "see" past it. This is one of the clearest cases for using an accelerator nudge. In general FSDb has become a much better driving experience for me as I've come to use accelerator nudges and lane change nudges where needed or just wanted.

I've seen it have issues at some places that used to have a stop sign, for example, where now the stop sign has been removed. It will still expect a stop sign & slow down as if there is one. Conversely, when there is a new stop sign or a temporary stop sign in place it will easily ignore those & run them. We had it completely run a stop sign a few weeks ago in rural Wisconsin.

I've seen it have issues at some places that used to have a stop sign, for example, where now the stop sign has been removed. It will still expect a stop sign & slow down as if there is one. Conversely, when there is a new stop sign or a temporary stop sign in place it will easily ignore those & run them. We had it completely run a stop sign a few weeks ago in rural Wisconsin.
I had something similar. It was very strange - the stopping showed up on the visualization yet it didn't stop for it. It was like the computer said 'I see a stop sign but the map doesn't show one here so I'm going to ignore it.'

I've got one of those here in Albuquerque. I think it is a map problem, though perhaps if FSDb were smart enough it could "see" past it. This is one of the clearest cases for using an accelerator nudge. In general FSDb has become a much better driving experience for me as I've come to use accelerator nudges and lane change nudges where needed or just wanted.

FSDb usually is driving so well, and there is so often vast differences in traffic speeds on the West Side Highway and sudden slowdowns, and people honking in frustration all the time, sometimes the car has slowed from 50MPH to 15MPH before I realize it's due to a "phantom" stop sign / traffic signal and not due to traffic actually slowing and that person honking behind me is honking at me for slowing down for no reason. It would be a lot easier if I could have a heads-up display on the windshield I would have paid extra for that.

Reactions: impastu
I haven't been through the one posted above since last night's release but the little drop 5mph are still there and maybe worse. That said, the slowing 1/2 mph 20 feet in front of a couple stops around here are a bit better. Maybe .3 will actually the be big one hyped about.

And it still goes around tights curves much too fast. And still doesn't slow down hardly at all when I scroll the max from say 45 to 25 before such curves. In fact i noticed today that it was still pushing power (i.e. small black no green on the regen line)