Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its too frustrating... was all ready for end of June delivery then last Thursday boom...july28 -Sept 1...and as much as I like the idea of the 3 performance (I have a Y performance) and really don't do much with it. The 3 LR is more suited ..... the key is getting one in UR/B color and getting one from inventory. Not getting on the train again for LR order
You should really just wait it out. You are likely any day now. Even then, you can find a nice performance model on available inventory within 200 miles of you im guessing

Reactions: TulsaCoker
Well I’ll be damned! Good way to start off the week. I switched from Blue/Black to White/Black 1 week ago and just got my VIN.
IMG_2047.jpeg

Have you sat in a P yet? I only ask because the seats are a big difference from the LR and that is an everyday/all-the-time difference you directly feel. For daily driving, 1s faster 0-60 doesn't have as much utility and the adaptable suspension will be similar to the LR in most situations. One can make an argument that the LR is the smarter choice based on the 0-60 and suspension but the seats might be a trade-off you're not willing to make.
No I have not sat in one... did have a 18' 3 and I thought the seats are good. my local SC has had 3-4 performance come in but they are customer cars... the third and forth advantage to the LR is range and all season tires.

OK, a bit embarrassing that I can't find the answer to this but...

On my 2021 LR if I wanted to take over steering while in FSD and let the cruise control (auto speed) continue, I'd just turn the steering wheel a bit and it'd disengage only the steering part of FSD but would keep the speed (cruise) control on. In the 2024 M3P, as soon as I grab the steering wheel and move it a bit to disengage auto steering, FSD turns off completely and the car starts to slow down. There are instances where I want to manually steer past some point and then reengage FSD so... how does one disengage steering control only in FSD on the 2024 M3P?
With V12 you can no longer have FSD enabled and break out of it while keeping TACC engaged. When turning the wheel it disables all of FSD. You would have to set a profile for just Autosteer to keep the old behavior.

I think they changed it because NHTSA was concerned that users were not appropriately notified that they were no longer using FSD and had to take over. I think it is dumb and would like the old system back, but it is what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: AJ Henderson
OK, a bit embarrassing that I can't find the answer to this but...

On my 2021 LR if I wanted to take over steering while in FSD and let the cruise control (auto speed) continue, I'd just turn the steering wheel a bit and it'd disengage only the steering part of FSD but would keep the speed (cruise) control on. In the 2024 M3P, as soon as I grab the steering wheel and move it a bit to disengage auto steering, FSD turns off completely and the car starts to slow down. There are instances where I want to manually steer past some point and then reengage FSD so... how does one disengage steering control only in FSD on the 2024 M3P?
That's an FSD 12 issue. There is no TACC option anymore with FSD mode. It sucks, but that's the way it is with FSD on the latest version on any vehicle for the moment atleast.

You should really just wait it out. You are likely any day now. Even then, you can find a nice performance model on available inventory within 200 miles of you im guessing
I appreciate the encouragement ... but on the flip side the any day now can also be a few month away. frustrating with ordering 4/23 and have been seeing many 3 performance coming through tulsa SC.. and with Oklahoma, must make final payment before in can be delivered so those people got VINs week before

I wonder if printing the docs and having her sign them and bring with, just in case, might help my cause. Seems like it’s 50/50 if this is gonna work solo tomorrow.
Just fyi - when I went in to pick up I brought my DL because they said that’s what they need for all registered owners. However, since I test drove a car about a month before, they already had a photo of my DL in the Tesla system, which they had printed out and in my paperwork folder. So they didn’t even ask to see my DL. Anyway you can have her swing by a dealership and quickly test drive any old Tesla today? That might solve the problem if you also have everything pre-signed.

No I have not sat in one... did have a 18' 3 and I thought the seats are good. my local SC has had 3-4 performance come in but they are customer cars... the third and forth advantage to the LR is range and all season tires.
True, but it's the cost of the all-season (and smaller rims) that is the advantage. The capability is still there. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you can get the same range out of the P with equivalent tires and wheels while not in insane mode.
Anyway, I don't think it's a fully informed decision until your ass is in that seat for a couple minutes.

Reactions: TulsaCoker
That's an FSD 12 issue. There is no TACC option anymore with FSD mode. It sucks, but that's the way it is with FSD on the latest version on any vehicle for the moment atleast.
I was on FSD 12.3.6 for a while on my 2021 and I'm pretty sure wrenching on the steering wheel only disengaged steering while keeping cruise control on. I did it a number of times because 12.3.6 tends to signal, start to change lanes, go back in the original lane, and then complete the lane change after that initial hesitation. That can be dangerous when it does that getting into, for example, a left turn lane so I would take over the steering to complete the lane change the first time rather than having 12.3.6 confuse everyone behind me by making it look like I changed my mind on the lane change.

That lane change hesitation (sort of a double take) and the tendency for 12.3.6 to ride the white line (and rumble strips) on the right side of lanes are my only complaints about that version.

I was on FSD 12.3.6 for a while on my 2021 and I'm pretty sure wrenching on the steering wheel only disengaged steering while keeping cruise control on. I did it a number of times because 12.3.6 tends to signal, start to change lanes, go back in the original lane, and then complete the lane change after that initial hesitation. That can be dangerous when it does that getting into, for example, a left turn lane so I would take over the steering to complete the lane change the first time rather than having 12.3.6 confuse everyone behind me by making it look like I changed my mind on the lane change.

That lane change hesitation (sort of a double take) and the tendency for 12.3.6 to ride the white line (and rumble strips) on the right side of lanes are my only complaints about that version.
I bought FSD outright on my 23 MYP. I use it all the time for the last 8 months with thousands of miles driven with it. I guarantee you it starts slowing down as soon as you disengage. It's in the release notes for FSD 12 and it is one of the most annoying things about FSD 12. (That and it's complete inability to actually follow the speed you set.)

It might be possible it still goes to TACC on the highway as that's still the FSD 11 stack on limited access highways, but I haven't tested that directly. (I just use the turn signals to deal with lane change uncertainty on the highway.)

Just fyi - when I went in to pick up I brought my DL because they said that’s what they need for all registered owners. However, since I test drove a car about a month before, they already had a photo of my DL in the Tesla system, which they had printed out and in my paperwork folder. So they didn’t even ask to see my DL. Anyway you can have her swing by a dealership and quickly test drive any old Tesla today? That might solve the problem if you also have everything pre-signed.
That’s good news, we both test drove in late April and they have both our licenses (& on the app as well).
Having gone through this myself, I'd say it's 100/0 that it's not going to work.
Maybe it’s by state? I’ve talked to a few folks at my delivery location that had it work. I’ll swing by my local place today and see if they can offer any guidance.

Reactions: xianking
I appreciate the encouragement ... but on the flip side the any day now can also be a few month away. frustrating with ordering 4/23 and have been seeing many 3 performance coming through tulsa SC.. and with Oklahoma, must make final payment before in can be delivered so those people got VINs week before
If it means anything I was also a 4/23 order and my EDD used to be July 28 - Sept 1 as well. But I received my VIN about a week ago and am expecting delivery in a week. So I wouldn't put too much weight on the EDD but at the same time it's still possible that you will be waiting for weeks.