Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not wrong. Tesla representing to customers on it website that cars will be delivered in February/March when Tesla knows or should know that's not realistic is false advertising. Tesla is liable for foreseeable damages resulting from that false advertising. That some customers would need to buy rental cars in the interim is a foreseeable result of the false advertising.
I wont waste the time to look into it but there must be fine print to absolve them from any liability due to forces beyond their control (government intervention, chip shortages, pandemic viruses, etc.)

I'm late to the party and was planning to order my first Tesla (a Model S LR) in June for delivery before my current car's lease runs out at the end of November. After seeing stock reports saying no Model S cars were produced in Q1, I found this forum and CRAP (it's gotten so bad that people are arguing about false advertising lawsuits now). Am I TOO LATE to get the Model S before my lease expires if I order now?

I am really excited about the refresh. My retired Dad got an early Model S at the right time (2014/ one of the first cars with the autopilot sensors) because his car came on time and his few service experiences were at home, quick and mostly free. Accordingly, I was blissfuly unaware that you can't trust Tesla's estimated delivery timelines (or Elon's statements about February deliveries).

Stock analysts talk about how the Model S is sunsetting (eventually going away?) because the high end Halo end of Tesla's range doesn't move the needle so Tesla is prioritizing Model 3 and Y production over Model S and X. I hope that's not true because it means I am definitely too late.

I guess I'm only out $100 if I order now and it is delayed too long for me to wait but who I am kidding. I've waited 6.5 years being jealous of my Dad's Model S and for my kids to finish college and get jobs so what's the added expense of buying out my lease and selling it (likely at a loss) after I finally get it.
Tesla just made an investment in updating the S and X and building a new production line for them. They'll build it for the next few years. Your S will be available to you sometime this year. Stock analysts are often not a good source of information about Tesla.

I love the armchair lawyers on here lecturing me about the law. While judges would understand that "estimates" are not "guarantees," they would also recognize that a company is not permitted to provide false estimates that are likely to deceive consumers and influence their purchasing decisions. Honestly, this is a no-brainer; it's not even worth discussing.
Ok, Mr. Mason

Reactions: Danlbrau
Tesla had a meeting this morning re: revised dates.

• July dates should be taken as a grain of salt. They are working on updating the timelines.

• They expect deliveries to start in the coming month.

• They should have more guidance end of this week/early next week.

Hearing same basic thing myself from Tesla.

I went to the Tesla store today to talk to them about the July timeline as I was in the area. Either way when I told the guy July he looked at me and goes "your account literally says July?" And I said yep they added it yesterday and then he looked at me and he goes "so it literally says 'July'" and I said yes and then he gave me kind of a weird look and goes "that doesn't sound right and we are expecting May or June at this point."

I went to the Tesla store today to talk to them about the July timeline as I was in the area. Either way when I told the guy July he looked at me and goes your account literally says July? And I said yep they added it yesterday and then he looked at me and he goes so it literally says July and I said yes and then he gave me kind of a weird look and goes that doesn't sound right and we are expecting May or June at this point.
Tesla Corporate 1: Let's open this can of worms
Tesla Corporate 2: Should we.. warn the SAs about the worms?
Tesla Corporate 1: Nah, they'll notice the worms tomorrow. The customers will freak out about the worms
Tesla Corporate 2: Haha, let's watch a live stream of that happening

Next Day...
Tesla SA: AAAAAHHHHHH

Tesla Corporate 1: Nah, they'll notice the worms tomorrow. The customers will freak out about the worms

Next Day...

Corroborates @sam3194 story, I guess

Next Day...

My conversation was over the phone but I could hear his eyes rolling when I mentioned the July issue. He was not aware of that and did not understand why - it was the first he had heard.

• July dates should be taken as a grain of salt. They are working on updating the timelines.

Can you broadly classify the source?

Is it... Corporate? Sales Branch? Service Center?

I can't imagine the second two would actually know real timelines.

....still waiting on my Peloton ordered months ago with no updates....maybe we can sue them too!
I got my Peloton after 3 month wait. Wish it came sooner, but I enjoy it very much. I love my Tesla so much more. How lucky to be an early adaptor in the Tesla world. Many people think they are just a car still. I missed a model 3 when I needed a car 3 years ago and made the mistake of getting a BMW. I hate it so much, it is at college with my son. Great deal for him, but a POS waste of money. I should have gone to Carmax and got a cheap car for 3 months and gotten the car I wanted, when it was possible.
Tesla pushes the envelop, not only of what they can build, but of what a consumer can handle. My anger comes out when I don't step back and consider my options or when I don't have depth of understanding. Look at that car on the site again and read up on how to operate the car, if you are new. Driving the car will just make you happy.

Just as a side note, it’s interesting to see how the former Technology/Design VP at Tesla handles his new car company, Lucid and the kinds of fairly unfiltered but informative information they provide on their upcoming releases of the new Lucid Air (this video was just uploaded today and it’s Rawlinson driving a Lucid Air GT 800HP/TQ / 500+ mi version that may be released later this year) through the streets of NYC. Lucid's attention to detail and quality control sounds very, very promising and the design of the vehicle is amazing, imho...had a $1,000 deposit on a Lucid Air GT but then canceled after they announced a delay to the 2nd half of 2021 and was unsure about the vehicle and manufacturer since it's all brand new...but the Lucid Air GT may very well be my next EV after the Tesla MS Plaid in 2-3 years or whatever...going to watch how well the Lucid Air and upcoming Lucid SUV EV are received over the next couple years. Anyhow, I wish Tesla would do stuff like this...

Btw - my Tesla acct says July but hoping for May or June of course.

Last edited:

Are you sure it shouldn’t read ”They expect deliveries in the coming months”. :)

Can you broadly classify the source?

Is it... Corporate? Sales Branch? Service Center?

I can't imagine the second two would actually know real timelines.

Not Sales, and not Service Center. Someone who is located in Fremont.

Are you sure it shouldn’t read ”They expect deliveries in the coming months”. :)

Yes

Ford Mach-e were put on hold after leaving the factory for possible quality issues.... no one sued them for the delay

My wife has been waiting on her Telluride she ordered in December and still no information on when it will be built and arrive. Was originally told mid March...Never thought to sue them, lol.