Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not wrong. Tesla representing to customers on it website that cars will be delivered in February/March when Tesla knows or should know that's not realistic is false advertising. Tesla is liable for foreseeable damages resulting from that false advertising. That some customers would need to buy rental cars in the interim is a foreseeable result of the false advertising.
You are wrong. It's an estimated date, not a guaranteed date. They are not in any way legally committed to delivering on that date.

I am not wrong. Tesla representing to customers on it website that cars will be delivered in February/March when Tesla knows or should know that's not realistic is false advertising. Tesla is liable for foreseeable damages resulting from that false advertising. That some customers would need to buy rental cars in the interim is a foreseeable result of the false advertising.
You should probably read the terms and conditions you agreed to before you lawyer up. 😆

The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle, if provided, is only an estimate as we do not guarantee when your Vehicle will actually be delivered. Your actual delivery date is dependent on many factors, including your Vehicle’s configuration and manufacturing availability.

You should probably read the terms and conditions you agreed to before you lawyer up. 😆

I love the armchair lawyers on here lecturing me about the law. While judges would understand that "estimates" are not "guarantees," they would also recognize that a company is not permitted to provide false estimates that are likely to deceive consumers and influence their purchasing decisions. Honestly, this is a no-brainer; it's not even worth discussing.

MXLR cream interior, FSD, standard wheels, 6 seats.
Ordered on Jan 28.
Delivery estimate:
early was April
Later: no data at all about estimate
Starting from a week ago(give or take): April

Doesn't say what year though.

I wonder if telsa pushed delivery date for those who refresh page too often :)?

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
I love the armchair lawyers on here lecturing me about the law. While judges would understand that "estimates" are not "guarantees," they would also recognize that a company is not permitted to provide false estimates that are likely to deceive consumers and influence their purchasing decisions. Honestly, this is a no-brainer; it's not even worth discussing.
Please be sure to keep us updated on the status of your litigation! 😘

Interesting join date and rhetoric

Someone from Tesla called me about my trade in. They said deliveries are indeed delayed and now estimated for July but it’s the same for people who ordered now as compared to dec/Jan/feb. they think once cars start coming out it will be fast and they will be able to clear backlog and deliver the new ones on the estimated date. Ofcourse earlier orders will be filled first I’m sure

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
Someone from Tesla called me about my trade in. They said deliveries are indeed delayed and now estimated for July but it’s the same for people who ordered now as compared to dec/Jan/feb. they think once cars start coming out it will be fast and they will be able to clear backlog and deliver the new ones on the estimated date. Ofcourse earlier orders will be filled first I’m sure
well, while that's probably not so exciting to people who placed orders a while ago, that's very exciting for me, as a new order placer! that means that something's delaying them from shipping the cars out, but they are in fact built / being built. this beats the worst case scenario, where they aren't even being built at the moment.

Reactions: Moose57
Tesla had a meeting this morning re: revised dates.

• July dates should be taken as a grain of salt. They are working on updating the timelines.

• They expect deliveries to start in the coming month.

• They should have more guidance end of this week/early next week.
If you have some "inside" knowledge from an inside source, can you please reach out to the journalists (Teslarati, Electrek, & InsideEVs) and perhaps they can speak with the same inside Tesla sources to do some actual reporting? It would be nice to get some real accurate info from a reliable source you know.

I'm late to the party and was planning to order my first Tesla (a Model S LR) in June for delivery before my current car's lease runs out at the end of November. After seeing stock reports saying no Model S cars were produced in Q1, I found this forum and CRAP (it's gotten so bad that people are arguing about false advertising lawsuits now). Am I TOO LATE to get the Model S before my lease expires if I order now?

I am really excited about the refresh. My retired Dad got an early Model S at the right time (2014/ one of the first cars with the autopilot sensors) because his car came on time and his few service experiences were at home, quick and mostly free. Accordingly, I was blissfuly unaware that you can't trust Tesla's estimated delivery timelines (or Elon's statements about February deliveries).

Stock analysts talk about how the Model S is sunsetting (eventually going away?) because the high end Halo end of Tesla's range doesn't move the needle so Tesla is prioritizing Model 3 and Y production over Model S and X. I hope that's not true because it means I am definitely too late.

I guess I'm only out $100 if I order now and it is delayed too long for me to wait but who I am kidding. I've waited 6.5 years being jealous of my Dad's Model S and for my kids to finish college and get jobs so what's the added expense of buying out my lease and selling it (likely at a loss) after I finally get it.

Reactions: aerodyne
I'm late to the party and was planning to order my first Tesla (a Model S LR) in June for delivery before my current car's lease runs out at the end of November. After seeing stock reports saying no Model S cars were produced in Q1, I found this forum and CRAP (it's gotten so bad that people are arguing about false advertising lawsuits now). Am I TOO LATE to get the Model S before my lease expires if I order now?

I am really excited about the refresh. My retired Dad got an early Model S at the right time (2014/ one of the first cars with the autopilot sensors) because his car came on time and his few service experiences were at home, quick and mostly free. Accordingly, I was blissfuly unaware that you can't trust Tesla's estimated delivery timelines (or Elon's statements about February deliveries).

Stock analysts talk about how the Model S is sunsetting (eventually going away?) because the high end Halo end of Tesla's range doesn't move the needle so Tesla is prioritizing Model 3 and Y production over Model S and X. I hope that's not true because it means I am definitely too late.

I guess I'm only out $100 if I order now and it is delayed too long for me to wait but who I am kidding. I've waited 6.5 years being jealous of my Dad's Model S and for my kids to finish college and get jobs so what's the added expense of buying out my lease and selling it (likely at a loss) after I finally get it.

Can you get a lease extension instead of buying it out in case it takes longer than June to deliver?

Last section of the MVOA -- IANAL but done enough contracts for work that this would seem to cover them. Elon's statements during the earnings call seemed akin to his infamous "funding secured" tweet, but I guess you could make the argument that lack of S/X production was not material to the company's financial results.

1617821115361.png

Last edited:
Tesla had a meeting this morning re: revised dates.

• July dates should be taken as a grain of salt. They are working on updating the timelines.

• They expect deliveries to start in the coming month.

• They should have more guidance end of this week/early next week.
I'm holding on tight Sam! Any bit of info helps. Appreciate you!

A typical business strategy is to finish testing the product and be prepared to make it before selling it.
This is a fair point--even if there are production issues, you'd think they would be talking about the new vehicles. It is curious they have not done the long promised update. The reality is we don't know much more about the refresh S/X than we do about the C or Semi.

Reactions: elguapo
What law school are you attending?

At this point, if the delays are held up until June or July, what's the possibility that the new 4680s might be included?
Doubt it since it’s been reported that those new batteries are for the MS Plaid + for > 500mi max battery range. But, on that note, our refreshed MS should be called 2022 models instead of 2021 or 2021.5...would be nice if Tesla made that classification and set these new ones as a 2022 model. But again, probably not going to happen.