Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully other car companies will catch up with Tesla’s range and autopilot. I said the same thing after all the small issues with our 2020 X (alignment, spot missing paint, etc) but, with no close EV options, the first time you’re changing oil in an ICE you’ll forgive them. 🤬😂
Along with Range the biggest competitive advantage for Tesla is it’s charging network. I believe it’s a game changer. It is almost as important as Apple’s App Store is to iPhone’s success. Electrify America is a mess right now and families traveling with kids cannot take chances with that network for long road trips in non-Tesla vehicles.

time for @Tigers to change his pic: (young Elon Musk)

1623070149012.png

Along with Range the biggest competitive advantage for Tesla is it’s charging network. I believe it’s a game changer. It is almost as important as Apple’s App Store is to iPhone’s success. Electrify America is a mess right now and families traveling with kids cannot take chances with that network for long road trips in non-Tesla vehicles.

Totally agree, on the supercharger network. I've moved back over from a launch edition Rivian order that would probably come in soon just due to the fact that the CCS network sucks/is unreliable right now and I need to do some distance driving where i know I have a couple supercharges between me and that destination for now...

After looking at the E-tron, that is the conclusion I came up with on staying with Tesla for an EV. It does bother me that Elon feels that 400 miles is sufficient - does that mean he will be not aggressively looking to increase it? Or, was his comment just an excuse for not coming up with the 4680 and Plaid +?

New Gabe video available to everyone. He has fun taking there drone around the resurfaced track. Most interesting bit for me was the chassis @3:40 looks it's painted sig red. Also another one dropping tomorrow from the storage lot--lots of detail.

Certainly looks like 1 is the Signature Red, can't see the middle one covered, but the one in front also looks like it might be as well. The dolly has a bit of the overspray on it from the look of it.

Reactions: omarsultan
Must have done something good along the way--just got a call from Tesla--I am picking my car up on Thursday as part of the event. It is MSM over white with wood and 21s.

View attachment 670345
Like everyone else, I am super excited for you, bro. What I am most curious about is the yoke steering. Did Tesla implement some kind of proportional algorithm that turns the tires more at low speeds? Oh, and do let us know if you figure out how to put the car into reverse so you can drive it home.

Agreed, i will be very interested in what the landscape will be 7 - 10y when we plan to look at options again.

Reactions: HumanInput
Yeah the supercharging network. Otherwise an ev is not worth it if you ever plan to take road trips, long or short. Way too much stress. Electrify America is AWFUL.

When I placed my order, I'd say Tesla was a 8.5/10 company with a ton of growing pains and some quality control issues to overcome. After this experience, I'd probably move them down to a 7. They are leaving the gap too big for other companies for too long for no reason at all. Things like communication and general good will to customers. Idiotic move by Musk.

However, depending on how Thursday goes, maybe I'll change my mind. We will see.

Did you guys see that Tesla announced they are launching a new simulator screen to estimate your Safety Rating for Tesla insurance?

I love number 6. Offer people the fastest accelerating car in the world and let them know their insurance rates can go up 50% per month if they actually try to use that acceleration.

I just recently switched my Insurance from Progressive to Tesla. What was I thinking?

8D2FA1CE-EA06-4C01-9522-AA1E1E62D191.png

Last edited:
Did you guys see that Tesla announced they are launching a new simulator screen to estimate your Safety Rating for Tesla insurance?

I love number 6. Offer people the fastest accelerating car in the world and let them know their insurance rates can go up 50% per month if they actually try to use that acceleration.

I just recently switched my Insurance from Progressive to Tesla. What was I thinking?

View attachment 670512

Yeah, this would be why I'll never install a monitor on my car for insurance reasons. I mean, who's to determine 5 and 6?

no thanks.

Reactions: croman and BigNick
Having been a Tesla observer/investor for quite a while now (ever since a buddy in SF first gave me a ride in his MS about 8 years ago), I have watched so many of Tesla's "screw-ups" that this situation barely registers on the screw-up scale. Despite all the missteps (and mis-tweets), though, Tesla has delivered the best cars ever made, hands down. The hiccups are apparently part of the process; when your company is capable of sudden mid-course corrections based on changing circumstances, when you can react quickly to deal with situations such as the financial crisis, COVID, whatever, not every decision ends up being permanent. It's just the Tesla (or Elon more specifically) way, and it pisses a lot of people off. Despite having lost a lot of money due to my not knowing how to deal with the 420 tweet, for example, my long-term confidence in the company made up for it.

We've had a Model 3 for almost 3 years and it rocks, so I know my MS will be great as well. It doesn't need to be perfect, nor do Tesla/Elon's decisions. The end result just has to be on target. This is why I'm bemused at all the detective work being done around here; it's fun to watch other people doing it, but I'm happy as a simple consumer of all the intel rather than a seeker, and I'm really looking forward to having my MS, whenever that comes to fruition.
I don't know man, I haven't been around long, but if this "barely registers" for you then you must have experienced some epic screw ups. People waiting for cars, that they may need, for months beyond promised dates? Then watching newbies come along and order only to see them get potential delivery, albeit possibly false, within 45 days while you still sit with no end in sight since before Christmas? Launch events planned then scrubbed? Cars planned, then ordered then scrubbed? And an astonishingly absurd mountain of false information, intentional or otherwise, flowing from SAs to people just wanting to get some hint of when they might receive their car.

Best EVs ever made, hands down? Probably! But to say "best cars ever made, hands down" is highly subjective. There are some smart people in this forum and I imagine if another company had EVs with the looks, performance, range and ecosystem (Software development, charging network, etc...) of Tesla, we'd see an exodus from the brand, simply because of the sheer lack of customer service, information flow and missed promises. I for one am very excited to get my car, am a huge fan of the products and tech I have seen thus far, and I will wait as long as my circumstances allow me to wait!

Elon is absolutely an eccentric genius who also might benefit from having a left-brained COO handling some of the public facing logistics. Sorry to drone on, I don't normally get in the middle of stuff like this. I'm a fan as well and I want my car, but I also understand the frustration being expressed in this forum and the detective work being done around here.

View attachment 670512

I've had completely unnecessary FCWs. Knowing that they are increasing my insurance premiums would be very annoying.

Reactions: epotter and croman