Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
255CE6EE-3383-4A2A-95FF-BE1E9307E604.jpeg
EAE2E2E7-988F-4D8D-BDAE-528C91DA4EA2.jpeg

Reactions: bobusn and hansa23r
I picked up my plaid. I will post some pics tomorrow, but it went really well. I'm in Oklahoma, had to drive to KC, so crossed fingers that it would be ready and it was, and 2 hours early to boot, so I could get back on the road. Going from a 75D to a plaid, HOLY F***. I always thought my 75D was fast....lolz was I wrong.

They told me since I had the red cameras, I had HW4. The person helping me said anything since Mid Jan born on date was HW4...but you know, they probably got that off a random tesla forum :)

I honestly can't tell on the new glass. In my 75, I have it tinted, so it's def easier to see than that, but I wasn't just wowed about it. I have the same AGP as the person above so I just can't tell you if it's new or not. What I can say for sure, it doesn't make it any slower :) Also, both my tail lights look pretty darn good, I would say the passenger side one is 100% there, and the driver side maybe a smidgen off, but you gotta look really close to see it.

Only issue I found on the car is one of the doors isn't shutting quite right (latch is off), needs to be adjusted. Other than that, I'm one happy customer. I am 2/2 on good experiences.

So, Little Nightmare story for everyone. Sharing in case some of this info is useful as you all take delivery.
The background: For those that remember me, I was part of the early 2023 delivery groups... as I saw my delivery date get pushed a couple times, I found a little gem on a lot: late 2022, had some front end damage at delivery to the Tesla dealership, and it just got put back on the lot. The price was dropped ~$10k so I figured for HW3 that wasn't bad... now to see that there was a $10k drop... ugh. That kind-a sucks! Because I should be getting my original order (ordered 7 Jan) around now... Here is what has happened since.

What has occurred: So I get the car and it has 7 issues, not major... I didn't think.
  1. Trunk made a strange noise when closing
  2. trim in trunk (left rear) needed to be replaced/aligned as it didn't cover weld lines as intended
  3. Hood alignment off and touching at top drivers side
  4. Rear drivers quarter panel window trim not seated properly
  5. Passenger rear door handle works intermittently
  6. Paint chips near top of hood in pillars next to windshield
  7. Noted minor paint scratches and buff marks
So, overall, I don't think that was too bad for a Model S delivery... I figured I would take the car. I am a QE (Quality Engineer) for Lockheed Martin, so I have an eye for all those little minor details. I think the car looked good! I drove it home and around a bit, put ~300 miles on the car. My plan was to drive the car for a bit, drop it off at my local SC the next week, have the issues addressed while on vacation (22 Feb - 6 Mar), and pick up my nice, shiny, fixed-up Model-S. I checked the car in at the Tesla SC on the 21st, had a good service rep, looked at the issues, notated things... I figured I was in good hands. They said my appointment was on 2 March, but they should be able to get me in early with the vehicle on site. I looked at my app a few times on vacation, (we have had a few Tesla's so I know how the service check-in works) the vehicle was never moved nor did I get any service updates. So, the day after the appointment (mistake #1, should have called day of with no app update) I text them to see what the status is. I get the corporate worded excuse for "we forgot" and they will now get me in later in the month. I gave them a sternly (but professional) worded reply that I expected more from them. They then squeezed me in yesterday, 3 days later than the appointment.
Totally cool! I am a day late, but they are fixing things, I got time... so all is good, right? Wrong. I get a text. Apparently an "oops" occurred and they cracked my windshield. They are going to replace it, np. Frustrating... but ok. We go back and forth a bit, they couldn't figure out the trim thing in the trunk, so this morning I went over to the Tesla center to point out the issue. When I showed them, they had an "ah-ha" moment, and they said they would get right on it. 11:30, I get the message that all is done! Great! Let's go see.
What... The... Hell... So, Trunk noise - Fixed. Trunk trim - no change, Hood alignment - Fixed, Window trim - no change, Passenger Handle - Fixed, Paint chip - no change, Buff marks/Scratches - no change. Also, I notice that the passenger front quarter panel is protruding significantly away from the body near the top... this is not the way it was (like I said, I am fairly neurotic about things) I am not thrilled. So, I go back in, get the service writer, and they then hit me with a "yeah, this will have to go to a local body shop, we will need the car for 3 weeks. They gave me a loaner... a Model S... think it is a 2015 P85 or something... looks like a recent trade-in, kind-a beat up... dirty. At least I have wheels... but damn man...

So... not going well and not happy. Should have stuck with my order. Don't get impatient gentlemen. And be meticulous... be a self-advocate, stay calm and professional, but be persistent and don't accept a half-done job.
Figured I would update the group on my delivery nightmare story. Not really that horrible, but it really highlights a few lessons I have learned and would like to share.

Bottom Line Up Front: DO NOT, let them talk you into submitting all of your issues on one service ticket. I am not sure if they are trying to reduce the number of tickets or something, but my SC really wanted just one ticket and they just can't seem to manage a multi-part repair. I would make a note and submit the issues to Tesla, but submit them for repair one at a time.

Story Time: So we left off with K.I.T.T. at a body shop. I did some research and found out two potential options, contacted both shops and figured out which one my car was at. They said they should have it done by Friday, but it may take until Monday (yesterday). So I contact Tesla and they say "we got that update too!"

My thoughts: why did you not share this... but left me with a date of 27 March... Friday would have been perfect, I work a 4x10 schedule with Fridays off, so I could get the car any time. Sadly, the body shop was not quite done. I then wrote the Tesla Service Team a message along the lines of "I will plan on picking up the car on Monday. They replied with "no problem", and the weekend passes.

At lunch on Monday I check my phone. Tesla SC message: Car won't be ready today, maybe Friday. Nope. nope, nope nope. I am confident that my car is now in Tesla's SC, it is being charged. (can't see location when in Service Mode) I write them a message telling them I expect the car on Monday next week at the latest. I purchased the car on 16 Feb. I dropped it off with the SC on 21 Feb. This is unsatisfactory. So what do you know? I get an update, the car is ready! This is suspect.... but ok. I won't be there until after 5pm when they close, no matter though, I can pick it up they say, drop off the loaner key, and I am good to go! Sure... so let's inspect.

Remaining Issues:
  1. Trunk made a strange noise when closing
  2. trim in trunk (left rear) needed to be replaced/aligned as it didn't cover weld lines as intended
  3. Hood alignment off and touching at top drivers side
  4. Rear drivers quarter panel window trim not seated properly
  5. Passenger rear door handle works intermittently
  6. Paint chips near top of hood in pillars next to windshield
  7. Noted minor paint scratches and buff marks
Trim in Trunk... nope. I would actually say it was worse. as if someone was trying to make it work but it did not. Rear drivers quarter panel nope. no change. Paint chips near top of hood in pillars... fixed! So, for the past week at the body shop they fixed 2 paint chips. I take the car, at this point I will try a new approach. one item at a time. I will schedule a repair and when they say they are ready to address that particular issue I will drop the car off for a 24 hour period or shorter... maybe I will just wait. Two paint chips in a week... I could have bought a buffer some chip repair paint and been done in an hour myself. They did leave a SnapOn 3/8 ratchet in my trunk... which I found kind-a funny. I am not a jerk, so I put it in the loaner and wrote a quick message via the Tesla app. Car was nice and shiny though... was definitely clean and such so home we went.

I picked up my plaid. I will post some pics tomorrow, but it went really well. I'm in Oklahoma, had to drive to KC, so crossed fingers that it would be ready and it was, and 2 hours early to boot, so I could get back on the road. Going from a 75D to a plaid, HOLY F***. I always thought my 75D was fast....lolz was I wrong.

They told me since I had the red cameras, I had HW4. The person helping me said anything since Mid Jan born on date was HW4...but you know, they probably got that off a random tesla forum :)

I honestly can't tell on the new glass. In my 75, I have it tinted, so it's def easier to see than that, but I wasn't just wowed about it. I have the same AGP as the person above so I just can't tell you if it's new or not. What I can say for sure, it doesn't make it any slower :) Also, both my tail lights look pretty darn good, I would say the passenger side one is 100% there, and the driver side maybe a smidgen off, but you gotta look really close to see it.

Only issue I found on the car is one of the doors isn't shutting quite right (latch is off), needs to be adjusted. Other than that, I'm one happy customer. I am 2/2 on good experiences.
White plaid model came available at my closest location. Ya only live once so I’m taking it. Pickup Friday. Advisor stated it does have HW4 as well as the new brakes but new nothing if a new roof (not really important to me).
I bet it was my order. Vin ending 3204?

Congrats. Can't imagine the power difference between an old 75D and a Plaid. There is a massive power difference between my old MXP100D and MYP with my MS LR.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi everyone,

I ordered right after the last 5K drop, estimated delivery shows March 27-31 but still no VIN.

I didn’t provide financing info yet, is that halting the process? I just assumed getting that sorted this fast (when it said March delivery) would be far too soon given when I placed the order. Figured I’d be waiting longer than March.

But now I’m thinking they just have a build to match me with but it’s not going forward because I didn’t submit anything yet. Am I understanding that right?

Hi everyone,

I ordered right after the last 5K drop, estimated delivery shows March 27-31 but still no VIN.

I didn’t provide financing info yet, is that halting the process? I just assumed getting that sorted this fast (when it said March delivery) would be far too soon given when I placed the order. Figured I’d be waiting longer than March.

But now I’m thinking they just have a build to match me with but it’s not going forward because I didn’t submit anything yet. Am I understanding that right?
From my understanding, just tell them via the app that you are paying cash and you will not have any delivery delays. Then, when you get a VIN and are close to EDD, just update it to financing and there is no issues.

I keep asking this question, but no one will answer it: What is the diameter of the round wheel (from side-to-side) in inches?
... and nobody is obligated to do so, try to add some friendly inflection and see if that helps :)
I will answer your question Tuesday, you don’t even have to be friendly or say please. I will even send you some PM photos of before and after along with measurement. It looks to be maybe 2“ more narrower.