Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. I have had every iteration from the 3rd AP1 S85d off the line to the first deliveries of AP2 S100D's to the first deliveries of the Raven Refresh S100D's.

Unless you have an innate need to "peacock" or you go to the track to run times....the performance model S' are nothing more than a waste of range. I don't knock those that want to have red calipers and jump off the line from time to time...I did it....but it is 100% not worth the extra $$$ and extra insurance. 0-60 on the new Palladium LR will beat "almost" every car on the market and more than enough to satisfy everyday drivers.

I sure am glad there are those that do buy the performance models (I did) because they do help the purses at Tesla with the extra profit on each one sold.

Bottom line for me is range and $40k less cost are more important to me than red calipers and the ability to occasionally throw a peace sign in the rearview mirror off the line. LOL LOL
How mature of you.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG
Do a little research and try to find your REGIONAL MANAGER. Get his/her email address and send an e-mail to the RM. I almost guarantee you'll get a response. ;) The local SA's are just about COMPLETELY USELESS.

If I worked at Tesla, I would recommend FIRING ALL of them (or at least RETRAINING ALL of them) and start an entirely NEW Corporate employee structure and of course, I would create a new Media Relations/PR Dept to put out weekly press releases and all new information as well as have a new acting President or CEO who does all the talking and press time while the genius that is Elon Musk works behind the scenes doing his thing! The time for arrogance and apathy would be GONE!

It would be about quality control, more high-end luxury interiors, more choices, top notch customer service, customer satisfaction, customer retention, transparency, competitive advantages, cutting edge technology, high performance, AND an UNDER-PROMISING BUT OVER-DELIVERING mentality while the quirky nonsense of "ludicrous mode" and "plaid" and farting noises for the horn would be a thing of the past! Basically, it's time for Tesla Motors to grow up and actually act and perform like an $800 Billion, worldwide company that they are.
As long as Tesla can say that they sell every car they make there is no motivation to fix their problems. Other than Elon's visions they are a short sighted company.

A message from our Archangel Gabriel regarding his next flyover...
1620914030861.png

While I agree with the philosophy of getting the longest range, Tesla has broken the current model as to which is the true long range. The Plaid+ looks to have an incredible range, although when it gets released I'll be curious to see whether the LR will get the same pack to extend it's range as well.

Now I just wish Tesla would correct their range estimates to be more accurate. The fact that they recommend draining past zero to get the full range is inherently flawed and counter to what they recommend for battery management health. That "reserve" should also be changed to show range in a "limp" mode as opposed to guessing how far one can push it. If it ends up flashing on the screen incessantly - that's fine by me.
Wait, is 0 not really 0 on the battery level? I had always assumed it was like a phone and when it hits 0, she done.

• Funny
Reactions: TrevTremaine
My SA in Los Angeles told me last week, that on Monday I would finally be getting a delivery timeframe on my account page this last Monday (May 10th).
Still nothing except I now have the "-" whereas before I just had "We will reach out to you".
I ordered Oct 2020 long before refresh, and am RN1141. I guess I should be jumping up and down that I got a dash. #1stTesla #Nuts

Wait, is 0 not really 0 on the battery level? I had always assumed it was like a phone and when it hits 0, she done.
Zero is only zero in number only. Lots of documented cases of people going past zero slogging to get to a charge point. I think you can get something like 8-10 extra miles from it as a reserve. I can understand setting an artificial zero to best preserve battery integrity, but then Tesla's last claim about full range really threw that to the dogs because they basically said to run it until it won't go any further. Again, they need to rework the "reserve limit" to give people who need to use it a better idea of what's left.

Reactions: boonedocks
While I agree with the philosophy of getting the longest range, Tesla has broken the current model as to which is the true long range. The Plaid+ looks to have an incredible range, although when it gets released I'll be curious to see whether the LR will get the same pack to extend it's range as well.
Yes, for the true patient ones out there, a Long Range with 4680 cells will probably be amazing value (if they ever build it and price it under $100k, that is)

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Can anyone here explain the VIN/RN code? I understand that "RN" is "Reservation Number". I notice that people will post the first 4 numbers and obscure/censor the last digits. Are the first 4 numbers an indicator of production numbered order? For example is RN1149 the one thousand one hundred and forty ninth car ordered? What are the last numbers, and why should they be obscured? Teach me please.

With the value of the Plaid vs LR being tossed around, I was thinking through what makes up the difference between the two that would account for the $40k. Maybe others could chime in if they have different thoughts.

Approximate values:
$10k - Third motor and supporting systems
$10k - Upgraded brake systems
$10k - Carbon fiber and interior changes

I could only come up with about $30k based on what information is out there. Some things we may not know that may affect the price...

- Tire and wheel size difference
- Additional software options (launch mode, track mode, etc.)
- Better seat cooling/heating (extra perforations in the seat in Plaid)

Anyone got other differences they've seen confirmed?

Reactions: sflgator
Not that I could afford a $120K car, but for a few minor interior differences and 0.8 seconds off the 0-60, $40K did seem a little steep.
Except supercars, Hyper sports cars which supposedly (since Tesla’s performance numbers have yet to be verified) aren’t even as quick as the MS Plaid all cost hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars more. Heck, even the Porsche Taycan Turbo S doesn’t come anywhere near the performance numbers of the MS Plaid and that thing is $200k and has way less range. So, I would say for $119k base price of the MS Plaid, you’re getting A LOT for the money! 😎👍🏻

Last edited:
Can anyone here explain the VIN/RN code? I understand that "RN" is "Reservation Number". I notice that people will post the first 4 numbers and obscure/censor the last digits. Are the first 4 numbers an indicator of production numbered order? For example is RN1149 the one thousand one hundred and forty ninth car ordered? What are the last numbers, and why should they be obscured? Teach me please.
Keep your reservation number personal - it's like giving away banking information in a certain sense. The first 4 digits are sufficient to give a clue about your approximate position relative to others in the cue awaiting delivery. The VIN will be completely different and has no connection to the RN - that will be your vehicle identification number that essentially identifies a specific car. Same thing applies to the VIN in terms of not providing all the information as a precaution to prevent anyone from fraudulently using that information.

With the value of the Plaid vs LR being tossed around, I was thinking through what makes up the difference between the two that would account for the $40k. Maybe others could chime in if they have different thoughts.

Approximate values:
$10k - Third motor and supporting systems
$10k - Upgraded brake systems
$10k - Carbon fiber and interior changes

I could only come up with about $30k based on what information is out there. Some things we may not know that may affect the price...

- Tire and wheel size difference
- Additional software options (launch mode, track mode, etc.)
- Better seat cooling/heating (extra perforations in the seat in Plaid)

Anyone got other differences they've seen confirmed?
Much higher Performance

The RN is an encoded number much like VIN--the first four digits seem kinda sequential but not in the way you described: RN1149xxxx is probably made before RN1148xxxx but that's about all you can tell. No one is really sure how it is encoded and Tesla is not talking. One reason is obscure the final digits is to avoid mischief, for example, someone calling Tesla, pretending to be you and cancelling your order.

The RN is an encoded number much like VIN--the first four digits seem kinda sequential but not in the way you described: RN1149xxxx is probably made before RN1148xxxx but that's about all you can tell. No one is really sure how it is encoded and Tesla is not talking. One reason is obscure the final digits is to avoid mischief, for example, someone calling Tesla, pretending to be you and cancelling your order.
Wouldn’t 1149 be made after 1148, not before?

Keep your reservation number personal - it's like giving away banking information in a certain sense. The first 4 digits are sufficient to give a clue about your approximate position relative to others in the cue awaiting delivery. The VIN will be completely different and has no connection to the RN - that will be your vehicle identification number that essentially identifies a specific car. Same thing applies to the VIN in terms of not providing all the information as a precaution to prevent anyone from fraudulently using that information.
Thank you Trev, that's good info. I'm curious what someone could do with my RN? The VIN on my current vehicle is visible through the windshield. I wonder if I should cover it up?
I understand that this question is only vaguely related to the headline topic. Thank you for indulging me.